Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Replaced some corroded lines and added some braided hoses while I was at it on my Prelude. I only got the fronts done. It took a lot longer than I'd hoped.

FHQdhtX.jpg

9txI9bE.jpg

Cprfhlx.jpg

Ui1uVvG.jpg

QwljrCy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

CIP4 wrote: »

I will be interested to see how long these last for the last ones I used several years ago at this stage lasted a year.

I’ve gotten over the year in mine, price the H15s for the DRL. Make sure you’re sitting down...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

?

I thought it is time for replace. Only 3 years ago been replaced. Didnt expect to be so bad in 3 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

Not today because today is Sunday and shall be driving it and trying to find out what I screwed up through my amateur mechanic endeavors. The pics here are over the last two weeks as I was waiting for parts, machining etc. I got the valve covers back on Wednesday evening around 5:30pm. Delighted with the job and should be good for life. From receiving them back to actually driving it too approx 12 hours of labour. There is nothing quick about working on these, spaces are tiny. You can do something then find something should have been routed a different way so take it back off,rinse and repeat etc.

Anywhere here is a snippet of what has happened.

Ordered parts from Merc and they arrived, €700 doesn't get a lot of OEM stuff. I buy OEM for critical parts, next level would be OEM supplier and preferably made in Europe. Cosmetic items will be wherever value is to be found.

50293513827_d4ec7730a7_c.jpg

Collected diamond cut wheels and ceramic coated them as Rim Solutions did a fantastic job so figured as they will never be this clean again it was worth the effort. Time will tell. These have been installed with lug bolts and chinas finest mercedes center caps. I wasn't paying 70-80 for OEM plastic which is purely cosmetic.

50262851188_13ed75a7d6_c.jpg

50290157817_ec3f05a902_c.jpg

Installed new oil separtor, cleaned and washed oil contaminated pipework, airboxes etc. Installed new and old. Still awaiting one vlave so had to clean the high load check valve and will install new one when it arrives.

50241572332_c1661bf056_c.jpg

50293513542_38c9e2b556_c.jpg

50292686588_8e784d2a44_c.jpg

50293513542_38c9e2b556_c.jpg

50292686408_4fb3ef4120_c.jpg

So with that done it was onto cleaning the valve cover gasket seats and while painstaking it did allow me to appreciate the fact that the thread repair as now be doen right and when in there again I won't have to worry about stripped threads.

50311312922_e277dfcc10_c.jpg

Much coffee was drank and nourishmnet was supplied via Rich Tea and Ginger nut biscuits in getting back to this stage.

50310469898_47b7525bd3_c.jpg

All the ducting, pipework, airboxes were washed cleaned and dried along with new air filters installed before reassembly.

50241358936_5f4f63e355_c.jpg

With intercoolers back on they had to be filled and bleed, apparently this can be problematic so I had ordered a €20 vacuum bleed or air lift kit for charging the system. It was a doddle to use and only took a few mins. I will monitor it and see how teh level stays. It was topped off with DI as I didn't drain it but if all is well I will do a full flush and update the pump to the newer better Bosch model if it isn't alreday fitted.

50311312927_599ec3f3aa_c.jpg

All back together, I ran a scan before starting. No errors. It fired up on the button and scanned again. All was looking good so time to pay teh test drive fee of €511 to get on the road.

50311136096_99241be059_c.jpg

Back from testing and no check engine lights and another scan shows all is well. No evidence of misfires which is really good news. I was worried that the arcing may have damaged the coil pack so I may have caught it just in time. I need a runway / private road or maybe a post covid road trip to an autobahn to truly let it strecth its legs. There is no way to do it here.

50311308917_1efa459c44_c.jpg

Here is a hot start vid before I took it home for the weekend. The starter sound is normal for the V12 and its very unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpiN87ejoGk

The crap plastic plates got binned and pressed metal fitted to clean it up. Now the process of building the real to do list can begin.

50311308842_d27f5690e7_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

traco wrote: »
    Ordered parts from Merc and they arrived, €700 doesn't get a lot of OEM stuff.

Very true! Are you in the MB UK owners cub? You should get 10% off, Annesley Williams agreed for me when I asked. Membership is about 50 quid.

Great work, seems to be some beast you have there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Old badge removed:

525954.jpg

New one much better:

525956.jpg

Headlights need a bit of polishing:

525957.jpg

Not the best job ever done, but 8 euro kit improved it a bit:

525958.jpg

525959.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Super job, takes years off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

@Traco - those alloys are a work of art, forget putting them on the car hang them in your sitting room!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I did an oil change yesterday, a very normal job but perhaps noteworthy because the filter is a cannister type (maybe common but not to me) and the oil used, Liqui Moly mos2 which contains molybdenum sulphide, whatever that is, but it makes the oil an unusual gray colour.

Filter
    filter.jpg

Where it goes, from under the car
    block.jpg

The oil
    oil.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Minor one this time.

Old centre caps started to look tired, additionally, after a few wet days showing sort of greenish particles on the surface. I am not really a big fan of chrome looking things on the car, so looked for something else. Found Aygo centre caps, just a fiver each from a dealer! Dirt cheap! :eek:

Before:

526205.jpg

After:

526206.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

They look a lot better jou.

Fitted these canards today.

Huge improvement in lateral stability I’d say.

02-ECE28-D-2373-4-AC7-A74-C-ED0-C806-AF6-C5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Don't want to praise but I did two things with my car last week/yesterday.

One
    Removed DPF filter (it was filled up so sent it to cleaning company) and re-installed it.
    Put new turbo which I ordered just before lock down.
    And put all that together (went to mechanic to clear errors and setup "new" DPF filter into car computer.

Two
    I put whole tank of petrol in. :-(

Tom

Two
    I put whole tank of petrol in. :-(

Tom

Are you serious? Hope you coped it right away and turned it off and got tank drained.

Well obviously you would cope it once you started the car but hopefully you shut it off fairly quickly and left it.

Is there a PPF on petrol cars?

You learn something new every day lol :)

Are you serious? Hope you coped it right away and turned it off and got tank drained.

Well obviously you would cope it once you started the car but hopefully you shut it off fairly quickly and left it.

I went to cash register and cashier said - 40 litres of petrol ?
    Then I went f.u.c.k
    So no I didn't started the card at all.
    Towed it to my place and drained tank and put back some diesel into tank but run out of time to start it back.
    Most likely it will have air in fuel lines so it will be difficult to start.

Tom

wonski wrote: »
    Is there a PPF on petrol cars?

You learn something new every day lol :)

That's the thing - it is DIESEL card and I put PETROL in the tank.

What I learned is to sleep more than 3 hours per day and not to do thousands things in the same time.

Cheers
    Tom

The same bit of petrol left in tank will do no harm might actually help the engine. I don't actually know if that is fact but I know back in the day back street mechanics would say that was a good thing to do.

The same bit of petrol left in tank will do no harm might actually help the engine. I don't actually know if that is fact but I know back in the day back street mechanics would say that was a good thing to do.

Yeah but I had 40 litres or so of petrol so definitely too much !

• Advertisement

I went to cash register and cashier said - 40 litres of petrol ?
    Then I went f.u.c.k
    So no I didn't started the card at all.
    Towed it to my place and drained tank and put back some diesel into tank but run out of time to start it back.
    Most likely it will have air in fuel lines so it will be difficult to start.

Tom

I thought you were joking...

Lucky escape!

Yeah but I had 40 litres or so of petrol so definitely too much !

I knew that I meant the small amount that would be left after you drained it as you would not get 100% out of tank.

edit: That post up above I was meant to say small bit not same bit.

Back before common rail and direct injection systems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Changed the xenon's the other day, what a pig of a job. The clip holding the bulb in place was by far the worse part.

C6-B813-C0-73-FB-458-F-9-A0-C-DB50-C9503-EA4.jpg

The driver's side seems to be potinting a bit more to the ground and its quite noticable when looking at it making the passenger side seem brighter. Guessing that's just a characteristic of xenon's so as not to blind on-coming driver's ?

Also noticed this oil leak the other day coming from what I believe is the boost pipe. Not sure if it's serious or not.

470-F0-F3-C-03-A8-48-B3-893-F-39-D4-B14-A07-E7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

Put a new passenger doorhandle on the Mazda.

It was broken off in Janurary, I bought the parts in May and did it Sunday.

It took 20 minutes to do the handle.

It also took 2 hours to respool the ****ing window winder wheel after it spring free, then fighting with the window itself.

On the plus side I can now carry passengers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Hello! I have been a busy lad, mostly with other peoples vehicles keeping up with modern day IT demands. While you were bundled up in lockdown I was flat out on the beautifully quiet roads keeping people working remotely, enjoying the 607 munching up the miles as it should!

Below is something that was worked on over a few Saturdays when I had the time, with much appreciated help from my father and kilianmanning

Situation: timing chain on work van snapped on the motorway, high enough rpm. Circumstances changed where it needed to be repaired instead of being pensioned off to my garden the scrapyard

2 options:

Replacement engine (lazy/easy way)

Inspect and rebuild top end (am I arsed enough to do it way)

Less yap, more pictures...

I opted for the lazy way. Picked up a donor car with loose change, tore its soul out in about 2 hours, had a great laugh destroying the interior

Strip the loom/ancillaries/gearbox/chain cover. The chain was done prior but was showing signs of stretching
    j54l3g6l.jpg

Out with this bad boy for the left handed crank bolt and put so much power through it rang the adapter in half, predictably (stick your lefty loosey nonsense up your posterior!)
    vqIDIHsl.jpg

Lock the cam, mark your crank, off with the chain and clean behind it
    2xATultl.jpg

Note: I eventually figured the timing out myself, using bits of another 1.3 engine from an Opel I had lying about. Put everything back together loosely before you put on the tensioner

nmR42Pvl.jpg

New chain kit was approx £52

Engine out from the van
    2Ruu0Aul.jpg

And side by side. You can see what's about to happen...
    LGovQ3Fl.jpg

And this is where my lazy idea went out the window
    AUJkR50l.jpg

Euro 4 and euro 5 have different heads, kind of expected and just as irritating. Engine had to come out anyway to complete other bits.

Plan B: strip the other engine, remove it's head and inspect the damage
    jY2sIc3l.jpg

6 rockers broke/stressed, 10 lifters seized solid!

One of the valves didn't pass the sound test. Off with it's head
    mhtCmaNl.jpg

Inspecting the pistons for damage
    rAcdgiul.jpg

The state of the chain, sh*t in 3 places... Bicycles have stronger ones FFS
    NQn9hPzl.jpg

Cleaned up the block where required

gWRisHll.jpg

With bits of the Opel engine (that passed inspection) the head was reassembled and tested in situ

DaEbvEUl.jpg

Reassembled
    bnIyCCal.jpg

Ready to install
    yVPLSkLl.jpg

Put everything back together and initial crank... Nothing. HP pump failed. Pull one out of thin air, cough cough into life. Connect the MAF and everything else away it went, running like a clock and sounding better than before. I can't show you the van as it's branded but if you want I'll take a vid of it running with questionable censoring

Shakedown test, it scuttered oil everywhere... Source: vacuum pump. Rip it off, clean it up, install and clean the rest of the oil as best I can.

Drove it up to Dublin that night, not a bother to it, more power than before and quieter bar the injectors

Van is now back in daily service. Total cost for parts was almost €200 and 4 Saturdays spent, could have been a lot faster only I'm a very fussy c*nt at times

If you want to know how to time these engines I'll show you because no one else will

And if you're wondering about the Fiesta, that's my radio!

Fair play - loving the neat and tidy sterile workshop conditions!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

My completely unnecessary need for an inch gun has returned!!

Some amount of work fancy pigeon.

Amazing. I wish I had the skill and the patience :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

wonski wrote: »
    Some amount of work fancy pigeon.

Amazing. I wish I had the skill and the patience :)

Whatever about you I definitely have neither! I smiled though as the photos loaded and I knew exactly who posted them!:)

Advertisement