Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to get for €22k?

Options
2»

Comments

Both The XF and the Accord are both far superior to a Passat or Superb. The XF is a segment above the Accord but I'd rather the Accord all the same.

They aren't comparable imo. An accord is a rival for a passat etc while an XF is a rival for an BMW 5 series, Audi A6 etc. just look at the size of an XF, the engines and especially the quality if the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

They aren't comparable imo. An accord is a rival for a passat etc while an XF is a rival for an BMW 5 series, Audi A6 etc. just look at the size of an XF, the engines and especially the quality if the interior.

Yes that is why I said that the XF is a segment above the Accord. Personally if I was spending €22k on a car I'd still rather an Accord for a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Attreu wrote: »
    Currently on the market for a used car with a Budget of €22k.

Currently have a 03 Passat Auto Highline TDI with 104k miles on it.
    Can't fault the car, have 3 people in the queue to take it off my hands.

I've been mainly looking at A6s Saloon or Estate. Ideally S-Line/Le Mans with reasonable mileage.

Don't want to pay over €750 tax.

Have two young kids and will be looking to keep the car for at least 5 years.

What else should I be looking at?

Toyota Avensis Estate automatic
    Can't beat the Jap

Last 10 years and beyond if cared for and you will have change in your pocket to tax it for 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DELBOY1970

an avensis is built in england. im connected to an engine rebuilding company and the most common engine rebuilt is a toyota vvti petrol and d4d diesel ! buy an audi or wv. they are reliable,economical,spacious,comfortable,they look good and you will for sure get an excellent trade in price or used car value. jaguars cost a fortune on reliability issues and in ireland they are not popular so resale value will be very low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭allinthehead

DELBOY1970 wrote: »
    an avensis is built in england. im connected to an engine rebuilding company and the most common engine rebuilt is a toyota vvti petrol and d4d diesel ! buy an audi or wv. they are reliable,economical,spacious,comfortable,they look good and you will for sure get an excellent trade in price or used car value. jaguars cost a fortune on reliability issues and in ireland they are not popular so resale value will be very low

Do you sell many audis or wv's?;)

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,164 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

German cars are hardly the last word on reliability either and I own one.

they can be if you use the correct type oil and filters and dont drive them like a lunatic!! what else is more reliable?

they can be if you use the correct type oil and filters and dont drive them like a lunatic!! what else is more reliable?

What is the definition of driving it like a lunatic?

sorry pal i dont do definitions.answer me this. what would you consider the most reliable make of car is?

bleeding jags....heaps of trouble.....they never built a good car.....the only ever decent diesel engine they had where built by citroen/peugeot and the chassis in an xf is just a mondeo chassis that was extented !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Oh that really is a lovely car, I want that myself now.

The XF is a brilliant car.

Can't believe people are comparing a Jag XF and an accord, the accord isn't even close to the same class as an XF.

What's good about it?

IMO -much like many jags of this era I think inside and outside its dated very badly, pre 08 cars had the 2.7TDV6 which wasn't particularly quick, not economical either, was quite a smooth engine though. It's not big inside the rear is very cramped and while the interior was nice originally now it looks incredibly dated, IMO of course.

i agree 166. if you want a car that feels like your sitting in your armchair while being careful going through tight bends then the jag xf is your man!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    You may be confusing the XF with the X Type
    mmm not really. the x type had an original ford mondeo chassis...the xf has a mondeo chassis that was extended

What is the definition of driving it like a lunatic?
    sorry pal i dont do definitions.answer me this. what would you consider the most reliable make of car is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

.the xf has a mondeo chassis that was extended

Nonsense

Attreu wrote: »
    Currently on the market for a used car with a Budget of €22k.

Currently have a 03 Passat Auto Highline TDI with 104k miles on it.
    Can't fault the car, have 3 people in the queue to take it off my hands.

I've been mainly looking at A6s Saloon or Estate. Ideally S-Line/Le Mans with reasonable mileage.

Don't want to pay over €750 tax.

Have two young kids and will be looking to keep the car for at least 5 years.

What else should I be looking at?
    did you find yourself a new car yet?im interested to see what your choice is/was

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mmm not really. the x type had an original ford mondeo chassis...the xf has a mondeo chassis that was extended

Definitely not correct; the XF chassis was carried on from S Type and is based on Lincoln LS/Ford Thunderbird chassis - it is not shared with MOndeo. The XF is after all a rear wheel drive car unlike the Mondeo and its relation the X Type.

Nonsense
    truth pal.....check the net...:cool:

Firstly I'm as big a fan of VW and Audi I was just asking the question as cars are meant to be driven not mollycoddled.

To answer your question every make of car has realisable cars and unrealiable cars nowadays its not as clear cut to say car make is overall is realisable or unrealiable.
    166man wrote: »
    What's good about it?

IMO -much like many jags of this era I think inside and outside its dated very badly, pre 08 cars had the 2.7TDV6 which wasn't particularly quick, not economical either, was quite a smooth engine though. It's not big inside the rear is very cramped and while the interior was nice originally now it looks incredibly dated, IMO of course.

They are an absolutely beautiful looking car on the outside and are luxury on the inside. You are off your head saying its dated. The 3.0 litre diesel is very good and the one to go for.

I was over taken by a 131 reg XF yesterday and it reminded me of what a lovely car thy are.

Firstly I'm as big a fan of VW and Audi I was just asking the question as cars are meant to be driven not mollycoddled.

To answer your question every make of car has realisable cars and unrealiable cars nowadays its not as clear cut to say car make is overall is realisable or unrealiable.

They are an absolutely beautiful looking car on the outside and are luxury on the inside. You are off your head saying its dated. The 3.0 litre diesel is very good and the one to go for.

I was over taken by a 131 reg XF yesterday and it reminded me of what a lovely car thy are.
    the 3 litre engine is a peugeot/citroen engine. so no hats off to jag for that one

• Advertisement

the 3 litre engine is a peugeot/citroen engine. so no hats off to jag for that one

So what, engine sharing is the done thing nowadays. That engine is also used in range rovers.

So what, engine sharing is the done thing nowadays. That engine is also used in range rovers.
    another bag of bolts if you want a good family 4wd buy a bmw x5

another bag of bolts if you want a good family 4wd buy a bmw x5

I do like the X5 but I also like range rovers, if you have the money you will go for a range rover over the X5.

As i said You are arguing with someone who is a big fan of German cars. Last car was a BMW currently have a Golf GTI and the Audi A6 linked in one of the first posts is probably the car is go for in the op's situation. But I am also a huge fan of the Jag XF which you ate doing a massive disservice to with your comments.

I do like the X5 but I also like range rovers, if you have the money you will go for a range rover over the X5.

As i said You are arguing with someone who is a big fan of German cars. Last car was a BMW currently have a Golf GTI and the Audi A6 linked in one of the first posts is probably the car is go for in the op's situation. But I am also a huge fan of the Jag XF which you ate doing a massive disservice to with your comments.
    i dont agree that if you have money you will go for a range rover over an x5. that is a stupid comment..the x5 is much more a drivers car than a range rover and far better value for money. a clever intellegent person with money would without doubt pick the x5

i dont agree that if you have money you will go for a range rover over an x5. that is a stupid comment..the x5 is much more a drivers car than a range rover and far better value for money. a clever intellegent person with money would without doubt pick the x5

A BMW X5 is a lovely 4x4 and I am a fan of them but a full on top of the line range rover is a class above an X5. They are one of the most luxurious cars you can buy along with being excellent off road.

A BMW X5 is a lovely 4x4 and I am a fan of them but a full on top of the line range rover is a class above an X5. They are one of the most luxurious cars you can buy along with being excellent off road.
    ok take what you pay for a new r rover vogue against an x5 ok.then look what you will get for them 2 years later. the r rover will depreciate by far. the x5 will still be going strong when the r rover has become troublesome and costly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

truth pal.....check the net...:cool:

I checked and(quoe from Wiki):

The basic sub-structure of the XF has been carried over from the S-Type, although the body has been stretched to meet crash safety requirements, and heightened to provide additional headroom while still retaining the "saloon within a coupé" proportions. The suspension and mountings are the same as that used on the XK, while the engine line-up is basically similar to that used in the S-Type.
    Sound and vibration insulation is provided by the addition of a special underbody tray and engine mounts, a tuned exhaust system, and a double bulkhead between the engine bay and passenger compartment.

X-type was based on Mondeo chassis, but XF not

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

wonski wrote: »
    I checked and(quoe from Wiki):

The basic sub-structure of the XF has been carried over from the S-Type, although the body has been stretched to meet crash safety requirements, and heightened to provide additional headroom while still retaining the "saloon within a coupé" proportions. The suspension and mountings are the same as that used on the XK, while the engine line-up is basically similar to that used in the S-Type.
    Sound and vibration insulation is provided by the addition of a special underbody tray and engine mounts, a tuned exhaust system, and a double bulkhead between the engine bay and passenger compartment.

X-type was based on Mondeo chassis, but XF not

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_DEW98_platform
    Was just about to post same

exador wrote: »
    fair enough...there still boring , buy an audi rs4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Attreu

did you find yourself a new car yet?im interested to see what your choice is/was

Not made a decision yet, the Cargiant A6 car posted is top of my list.

I'm in the UK next weekend so may drop down to see it if its still there.

Went looking locally (South Dublin) yesterday.

Saw a lot of cars out of Budget, that new Merc CLA looks something special, I can see them being popular. PDF brochure here: http://goo.gl/cbRrj

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Incidentally, what are running costs like on a X5 vs an Audi A6?

Advertisement