Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Representing male sexuality, is it demonised?

Options
  • 10-07-2013 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭

I came across this article which makes some very good points about the predator/prey paradigm on male and female sexuality, arguing that this model is dangerous for both men and women. On this point, I would agree entirely.

It asserts the culture promotes that it is natural for males to be predators and encourages them to use deception while encouraging women to fear them. I can see that to. It's a nasty axiom to present to both men and women. What are we teaching boys and girls by encouraging this paradigm?

I have some problems with the article and can see good points in the comments section too.

Also, I don't mind if men step in with their pov either, mods permitting of course.

http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/the-danger-in-demonizing-male-sexuality/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Its difficult to know what to reply to the agreement, but it is interesting. I think it is down to conflicts between human nature and the culture that is portrayed in the media plus a complete exaggeration of the danger out there which is again is caused be the media saturated society we live in.

I don't think the idea that men have to trick or lure women in to sex is that common.

Of course there are good men every where the vast majority of men are good the fact that it has to be stated is a bit sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

It does raise some good points. And does mention that demonizing male sexuality isn't anything new.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

But sexuality out side of a committed heterosexual adult sexual relationship has always been demonised one way or another, for example homosexual sex, teenage sex, predatory older woman, mothers who abandon their children to be with a man and so on basically there seem to be a primal fear about sexuality out side of certain boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I have always said that to be a single heterosexual male means that you are treated like you're carrying a loaded gun. These days, I simply don't approach women in pubs/ clubs for this very reason. In essence, I'm a gentle enough soul and I'm simply tired of having to win over people who were happy to assume I was a dick or have dishonourable intentions.

I'm not a 'man's man'. Some of my closest confidants are my female friends. I hate that I can't be friends with women unless I have been pre-approved in some way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

The other side of tis article is that women have to be more pro sex, and that girls need to be educated that no a man doesn't have to behave like an obsessive predator to show he is interested in you or for you to reciprocate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement