Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25 for a prescription for the pill.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I don't think there is any need to be alarmist.
    I use this service and I still go to my GP for checkups, there is nothing wrong with people using both services and availing of the savings.

+1

Whose fault is it if someone does not get regular pill checks? The individual. Not any service or doctor.

I'm clearly referring to someone who is just going to use the service and not get the check ups also

Why would someone do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RoseCassidy

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Eh this service has been available in Ireland for years...is it only a worry now because Irish doctors are losing out on revenue? :rolleyes:

Eh this service has been available in Ireland for years...is it only a worry now because Irish doctors are losing out on revenue? :rolleyes:

Yes, that is why.

Interesting that someone would only register to post in this thread with alarmist notions.

Seriously, are we adults or children, do people need to be supervised for every aspect of health care? We all know that people on the pill need regular face to face checks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 RoseCassidy

I didn't just register for alarmist notions, I had just been through the experience of myself of my doctor issuing repeat prescriptions for the pill and was merely just hoping that people wouldn't just use the prescription service as it was a horrible ordeal of getting the blood clots and wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's nothing about doctors and revenue, just hoping some young girl doesn't come across the service and think it's an easy way of getting contraceptives without being fully aware of having to have the regular checks, that was all that meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

WWJD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

While part of me thinks yay for the cheaper service, I too would be somewhat concerned about it. If you're going and having regular checks with your doctor, surely it would cost more to use this as well? I go once every 6 months & get all my prescriptions renewed, full health check, chat about anything that might be concerning me & the like for 55e. Not bad value really. Don't think your health is somewhere you should scrimp on.

And I don't think it's just coz doctors are worried about revenue.....maybe, just maybe their worried about people's health and long term well-being.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

While part of me thinks yay for the cheaper service, I too would be somewhat concerned about it. If you're going and having regular checks with your doctor, surely it would cost more to use this as well? I go once every 6 months & get all my prescriptions renewed, full health check, chat about anything that might be concerning me & the like for 55e. Not bad value really. Don't think your health is somewhere you should scrimp on.

And I don't think it's just coz doctors are worried about revenue.....maybe, just maybe their worried about people's health and long term well-being.

If doctors/industry were worried about that, there'd be cures instead of maintenance.

I didn't just register for alarmist notions, I had just been through the experience of myself of my doctor issuing repeat prescriptions for the pill and was merely just hoping that people wouldn't just use the prescription service as it was a horrible ordeal of getting the blood clots and wouldn't wish it on anyone, it's nothing about doctors and revenue, just hoping some young girl doesn't come across the service and think it's an easy way of getting contraceptives without being fully aware of having to have the regular checks, that was all that meant.

Rose Im sorry for your health issues, but do you not think that you have some personal responsibility there to tell your doctor that you want to be checked over every so often and not just accept the issue of repeat prescriptions?

In fact, what you are saying is even more encouraging to use the service as youve just pointed out that even a face to face GP doesnt always catch problems and its important to push for the checks yourself.

• Advertisement

No I dont think that thats the case at all. My old GP charged 60 euro no matter if it was a follow up, a repeat prescription etc... If you had the hard luck to go from being a private patient to being on a medical card she would no longer see you as she didnt see any "scheme" patients - didnt matter if she had been your doctor for 25 years - medical card, goodbye.

Id like to live in a fluffy world where doctors care about my well being but we dont. A doctors practice is a BUSINESS.

Naturally some doctors are also caring individuals but they are business people first and foremost.

Soarer wrote: »
    If doctors/industry were worried about that, there'd be cures instead of maintenance.

Yeah my doctor never wants there to be a cure for cancer because they're not people too & things like that never affect them :rolleyes:. My doctor has treated me for over 20 years and has helped me deal with a number of difficult medical issues. Ok yes there's no cures for what I have but I've done a lot better with him helping me maintain it rather than going it alone. I just don't think that doctors are all money-grabbers out to get us.

And you seemed to have missed the point I was making of that if people are going to their doctors anyway to get their BP checked for the pill, wouldn't it be cheaper to get the prescription from them rather than using this service too?

And you seemed to have missed the point I was making of that if people are going to their doctors anyway to get their BP checked for the pill, wouldn't it be cheaper to get the prescription from them rather than using this service too?

If I was going to use this service Id use it once or twice a year and then see my doc. Often youd see the doc in between anyway for a different matter so you could get the checks done then. At 25 quid versus 60 quid for some doctors, thats still a good saving.

No I dont think that thats the case at all. My old GP charged 60 euro no matter if it was a follow up, a repeat prescription etc... If you had the hard luck to go from being a private patient to being on a medical card she would no longer see you as she didnt see any "scheme" patients - didnt matter if she had been your doctor for 25 years - medical card, goodbye.

Id like to live in a fluffy world where doctors care about my well being but we dont. A doctors practice is a BUSINESS.

Naturally some doctors are also caring individuals but they are business people first and foremost.

Have to say that's really crappy of your GP. Mine charges 55 but if you're back within a few weeks for same problem its 30. If they just want to issue you a repeat prescription (no checks) then you ring them, ask for it & think it's about 20 or 30. They see medical cards etc. Yes it's a business but at the same time mine seem to run a highly successful business without missing out on the caring aspect which is the point of their profession.

Have to say that's really crappy of your GP.

Its one of the reasons its my old GP. There were also other issues but overall I found the money grubbing from what was supposed to be a caring professional disgusting.

If I was going to use this service Id use it once or twice a year and then see my doc. Often youd see the doc in between anyway for a different matter so you could get the checks done then. At 25 quid versus 60 quid for some doctors, thats still a good saving.

But wouldn't your doctor want to know where you're getting the prescription if not from them & they're doing the checks?

I was just saying it from a personal side that I go to my doctor twice a year for repeat prescriptions that last 6 months. It's 110 so I get all my issues out with them there & then & that's usually me done for the year. I'm happy to pay that to know that everything is ok & that I don't have to go for other tests coz of changes or that there's problems with my pill (which I've had in the past) that means it might need changing.

Its one of the reasons its my old GP. There were also other issues but overall I found the money grubbing from what was supposed to be a caring professional disgusting.

Sorry meant to include the word old in my reply but typed too fast & forgot. Yeah money grabbing like that is just terrible.

But wouldn't your doctor want to know where you're getting the prescription if not from them & they're doing the checks?

I was just saying it from a personal side that I go to my doctor twice a year for repeat prescriptions that last 6 months. It's 110 so I get all my issues out with them there & then & that's usually me done for the year. I'm happy to pay that to know that everything is ok & that I don't have to go for other tests coz of changes or that there's problems with my pill (which I've had in the past) that means it might need changing.

Id tell my doctor! Why would my doctor care? I get prescriptions from a particular consultant for a sinus problem, and between checks with him I get the prescriptions with my regular doc.

Ive said already on this thread, personally Id rather use my GP because I am older and I have a previous history of pill issues, but if I was young Id use it and just ask my GP for pill checks when I wanted them and say I was getting the medicine prescribed elsewhere. What do you think the GP is gonna do? Say - oh Im not gonna check your bp because you got your prescription elsewhere? We're not children, its a business!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

hfallada wrote: »
    If you are on a medical card. You can get it to "control your acne" rather than not getting pregnant. Contraception is so expensive in Ireland and yet the government wonders why we have a large amount of teenage pregnancies
    emokin wrote: »
    there are a large amount of teenage pregnancies because girls and boys didn't listen to their much wiser grandparents. they listened to the TV instead.

girls, keep your knickers on. you're better off.

There aren't 'large' amounts of teenage pregnancy in Ireland. We have the lowest rate since 1966....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/teenage-pregnancy-levels-at-lowest-since-1966-cso-report-28902205.html

• Registered Users Posts: 64,887 ✭✭✭✭unkel

There aren't 'large' amounts of teenage pregnancy in Ireland.

It sure is coming down, but the figure is still high.

Ireland: 30 teenage mother babies per 1000
    Netherlands: 4 teenage mother babies per 1000

Many of those mothers will need social welfare / free housing for the rest of their lives...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

unkel wrote: »
    It sure is coming down, but the figure is still high.

Ireland: 30 teenage mother babies per 1000
    Netherlands: 4 teenage mother babies per 1000

Many of those mothers will need social welfare / free housing for the rest of their lives...

High by what measure? We are distinctly average in Europe, on a par with France and Spain and Canada, and higher than Germany, NL and the scands. We are markedly lower than the UK, US, Russia and Australia, and vastly lower than some countries in South America and Africa.

Sure, teenage pregnancy is a burden on the state, but as a country, we're doing pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

gerryk wrote: »
    High by what measure? We are distinctly average in Europe, on a par with France and Spain and Canada, and higher than Germany, NL and the scands. We are markedly lower than the UK, US, Russia and Australia, and vastly lower than some countries in South America and Africa.

Sure, teenage pregnancy is a burden on the state, but as a country, we're doing pretty well.

Isn't this going a bit off topic :) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This thread no longer resembles anything close to a Bargain Alert..

.. so am closing it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement