Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Dock & Summer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Can the guards not confiscate their alcohol like they do in the UK?

as soon as they realise they cant drink in the area they will likely move on.

Also, why cant they enforce banning orders from the area. obviously if someone has been misbehaving, caught stealing from the shops etc.

The guards should be able to place them on an exclusion list and if they are seen in the area by shop staff, report them for breaking the curfew and fine the parents and/or them. works in the UK.

Its ridiculous that anti social behaviour is so tolerated in Ireland,

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

What a crappy written article. They have an article written about arson and then what can only be described as a paragraph at the end which seems totally unrelated to the above paragraphs apart from the fact that it happened in Portmarnock.
    You believe it's totally unrelated? An arson attack at 2pm on a weekday on a house near the beach isn't a regular occurrence in Portmarnock :rolleyes:

http://www.herald.ie/news/mum-battles-blaze-as-thugs-set-fire-to-her-thatched-home-29409642.html

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

liffeylite wrote: »
    Can the guards not confiscate their alcohol like they do in the UK?

as soon as they realise they cant drink in the area they will likely move on.

Also, why cant they enforce banning orders from the area. obviously if someone has been misbehaving, caught stealing from the shops etc.

The guards should be able to place them on an exclusion list and if they are seen in the area by shop staff, report them for breaking the curfew and fine the parents and/or them. works in the UK.

Its ridiculous that anti social behaviour is so tolerated in Ireland,

I'm a bit confused as to why the UK is being held up as a shining light on controlling feral youth.
    Anti-social behvaiour is tolerated here because of fear, lack of resources and lack of structure. There isn't really a culture of reporting things here and many people would see it as drawing hassle on themselves.

It also seems somewhat futile at times with people getting away with a warning or a suspended sentence.

Ignoring the problems will almost certainly make them worse, vigilantism isn't the way either and the police can only be relied upon to a certain degree.

I think there should be a network or page that you can post live updates of anti-social behaviour to
    People are well able to tweet and post about all these goings on could there not be a central site that people could post to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

oh dear god the children. won't somebody think of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Laneyh wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused as to why the UK is being held up as a shining light on controlling feral youth.
    Anti-social behvaiour is tolerated here because of fear, lack of resources and lack of structure. There isn't really a culture of reporting things here and many people would see it as drawing hassle on themselves.

It also seems somewhat futile at times with people getting away with a warning or a suspended sentence.

Ignoring the problems will almost certainly make them worse, vigilantism isn't the way either and the police can only be relied upon to a certain degree.

I think there should be a network or page that you can post live updates of anti-social behaviour to
    People are well able to tweet and post about all these goings on could there not be a central site that people could post to?
    The easiest thing to do would be to tweet adding #antisocialdublin in your tweet. This could be monitored by the guards and if anything serious is tweeted they could respond to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

You believe it's totally unrelated? An arson attack at 2pm on a weekday on a house near the beach isn't a regular occurrence in Portmarnock :rolleyes:

http://www.herald.ie/news/mum-battles-blaze-as-thugs-set-fire-to-her-thatched-home-29409642.html
    Well done, thats not the article that I had based my comments on. Maybe if they had combined the two articles it could have amounted to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

How deep is the water in Grand Canal Dock? Imagine if somebody was thrown in who wasn't able to swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

7 Metres I believe, or so the Viking splash tour guides tell the tourists every day.

edit: this page says 18 feet.

http://dublin.iwai.ie/graving_docks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33 bkavanagh

I heard this is advertised on a social media site before they all meet up is this true, and which site so i know when it is going to happen again

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

bkavanagh wrote: »
    I heard this is advertised on a social media site before they all meet up is this true, and which site so i know when it is going to happen again

I would be curious to know about this. Today they were in early before noon. Yesterday, they got in after lunch around 1pm already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Someone said it was on facebook as inner city beach, but I couldnt find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Laneyh wrote: »

This is a good idea. but ultimately, what will it change? A million tweets wont affect anything, the same way a million posts on this thread wont.

there has to be legal action at some level to implement a change. I wonder if the local residents continually rang garda stations would they force the guards into moving these kids on?

I still think there has to be weight in the argument of confiscating alcohol. its a public place! they shouldn't be drinking there. if they are, take it off them and ban them from the area.

p.s. I don't say the UK is a shining beacon of how to treat antisocial behaviour. far from it. but they are a little less tolerant of this kind of thing, and as a result, they suffer a little less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Welcome to the inner city. Been going on up Sheriff Street way for years. Gardaí never did much up this end so I don't know why you think they will listen to you or your fellow apartment dwellers either. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Forever Hopeful

dsmythy wrote: »
    Welcome to the inner city. Been going on up Sheriff Street way for years. Gardaí never did much up this end so I don't know why you think they will listen to you or your fellow apartment dwellers either. Best of luck.

Hang on a sec... I've noticed a change around GCD past few evenings. The Residents I have spoken to have all rang Gardai/complained to their mgmt companies and even though there are still some kids around, it definitely doesn't have that sinister feel of earlier in the week.
    That aside, I decided to get out of GCD this weekend and head to my parents to get away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Chah

Tails142 wrote: »
    Just to reiterate the point that these are not local kids from Ringsend/Pearse Street - they are coming in from all over Dublin from Sheriff St, Drimnagh, rest of Dublin 8 etc.

People can say its just kids being kids, but its not. It's far more serious, like what goes on in Portmarnock and Howth which makes the national news. What will happen is that businesses will close and the place will end up a ghost town, becoming a no-go area.

261919.JPG

How do u know they're from drimnagh?Drimnagh isn't in Dublin 8 btw....nor is sherriff st.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

confiscating alcohol off underagers makes a big difference but its easier to do when there is chokepoint like a dart station

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

There's an obvious public order issue in GCD in the last week or so. With major residential, business and entertainment regeneration, the last thing the area needs is a bad reputation.

Local kids are probably fine, but if large numbers of kids are accumulating from all over the city and causing disorder, it has to be nipped in the bud and shouldn't be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Judge wrote: »
    I have been, politely, moved along by them for taking photographs on the dock without a permit

You WHAT?. A private security contractor stopped you from taking photographs in a public space?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

snappieT wrote: »
    You WHAT?. A private security contractor stopped you from taking photographs in a public space?

I think much of it, including the roads, is privately owned space to which the public are permitted access subject to such conditions as those in control may require. If you look around there you'll find the street signs are not of the public road variety and the parking controls are with NCPS not DSPS. Outside the buildings is probably DDDA property which, while a Government owned body, is effectively a private developer/landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Hang on a sec... I've noticed a change around GCD past few evenings. The Residents I have spoken to have all rang Gardai/complained to their mgmt companies and even though there are still some kids around, it definitely doesn't have that sinister feel of earlier in the week.
    That aside, I decided to get out of GCD this weekend and head to my parents to get away from it.

Eventually the money/novelty wears off. Because they weren't from the area the people who rang the Gardaí won't have their homes smashed up for being "rats". Lucky for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

does anyone know the event last night. it was like a movie night.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

It was a movie night - happenings.ie have been organising outdoor cinema during the good weather. Highly recommend checking them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 katsy8

Wow, I've been irritating myself over these knacker kids for two weeks now. Happy to see fellow sufferers. I believe these kids will be gone soon when the sun disappears. I've never seen Grand Canal Square so filthy and uninviting. Poor Spar and Fresh employees - I see at least the Spar guys fighting with these people on a daily basis. Hopefully something will be done about this in the future as I don't believe The Marker or any other fancy business around here is super interested in having this type of audience around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

katsy8 wrote: »
    Wow, I've been irritating myself over these knacker kids for two weeks now. Happy to see fellow sufferers. I believe these kids will be gone soon when the sun disappears. I've never seen Grand Canal Square so filthy and uninviting. Poor Spar and Fresh employees - I see at least the Spar guys fighting with these people on a daily basis. Hopefully something will be done about this in the future as I don't believe The Marker or any other fancy business around here is super interested in having this type of audience around.

You sound like some official in Rio de Janeiro who wants to tidy away the natives ahead of the 2016 Olympic Games. If you choose to live in the Inner City this is what to expect - sorry if I'm wrong but you don't sound like you're originally from the area. Unless the useless government decides to create some 'real' employment in the inner city and raise everybody's standard of living nothing will change. Planting gated communities apartment blocks in the middle of a ghetto is asking for trouble unless you shift all the existing population to some far flung dumping ground like Darndale or Coolock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

You sound like some official in Rio de Janeiro who wants to tidy away the natives ahead of the 2016 Olympic Games. If you choose to live in the Inner City this is what to expect - sorry if I'm wrong but you don't sound like you're originally from the area. Unless the useless government decides to create some 'real' employment in the inner city and raise everybody's standard of living nothing will change. Planting gated communities apartment blocks in the middle of a ghetto is asking for trouble unless you shift all the existing population to some far flung dumping ground like Darndale or Coolock.

I would hardly call the area a ghetto. As previously stated, the locals are not the problem. Although I do agree with your statement somewhat. You have to expect a little pollution / noise as it is a city centre location.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

Ghetto? Jesus that's a bit strong. There's no denying it's an inner city 'working class' (whether Dublin really has a working class anymore is a bit debatable but that's for another thread) area but comparing Ringsend/Irishtown/Pearse Street areas to a ghetto is a bit over the top.

Sorry, ghetto is a bit OTT but I was just trying to ram home the point that it's not Foxrock - despite the fancy new blocks that have been plonked down in the vicinity of the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Sorry, ghetto is a bit OTT but I was just trying to ram home the point that it's not Foxrock - despite the fancy new blocks that have been plonked down in the vicinity of the canal.
    i think people have more of a problem with the lack of policing. Sure in the city you expect more crime. But you expect to see the guards do their job when you report a blatant crime

EyeSight wrote: »
    i think people have more of a problem with the lack of policing. Sure in the city you expect more crime. But you expect to see the guards do their job when you report a blatant crime

The lack of policing is a nationwide problem; try living down the country and the visibility of gardai on the streets is virtually nil. In reality the gardai have become totally reactive rather than proactive - they turn up hours after the incident and go through the motions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

The lack of policing is a nationwide problem; try living down the country and the visibility of gardai on the streets is virtually nil. In reality the gardai have become totally reactive rather than proactive - they turn up hours after the incident and go through the motions.

true. I am not saying rural areas don't have a problem. I am saying this is why people are annoyed with this

Advertisement