Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Lions XV for first test against New Zealand 2017

Options
  • 08-07-2013 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭

Ok I know its just off the back of the last Lions tour so what better time to look ahead to the next one. Even though its miles away what 15 would people go for? Right now I'm thinking maybe along these lines;

1. Cian Healy (29)
    2. Tom Youngs (30)
    3. Samson Lee (24)
    4. Iain Henderson (25)
    5. Courtney Lawes (28)
    6. Sean O'Brien (30)
    7. Justin Tipuric (27)
    8. Toby Faletau (26)
    9. Ben Youngs (27)
    10. Johnny Sexton (31)
    11. Simon Zebo (27)
    12. Ashley Beck (27)
    13. Manu Tuilagi (26)
    14. George North (25)
    15. Stuart Hogg (24)

16. Richardt Strauss 17. Alex Corbisiero 18. Dan Cole 19. Joe Launchbury 20. Sam Warburton 21. Conor Murray 22. Ian Madigan 23. Leigh Halfpenny

I have no doubt that this will be light years away from what the team will actually look like and people will criticize my omission of AW Jones and halfpenny but I'm just thinking Henderson and Hogg will be better in four years time. I like a lot of these players and am expecting players like Henderson, Lee and Hogg to elevate to world class players come New Zealand. In total it works out with 5 Irish, 5 Welsh, 4 English and a single Scott in the starting XV with 3 English, 3 Irishmen(well really two and Straussy) and 2 Welshmen on the bench which is a fairly even split. Whats everyone's team?

Please don't post comments of how its stupid to try predict the team so far out because its only meant for a bit of fun :) And if anyone is actually close they can quote their posts in 4 years time and talk about how they are such a genius

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wow, considering how off people were no more than 6 months ago I can only imagine getting this right would be akin to winning the lotto.

Still, if you get it right, I'll buy you a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I think we'd probably have to start with guessing the coach!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Well Kidney isn't up to much right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well I hope it's a Kiwi...

Impossible to pick a team but from an Irish perspective I'd hope players the following will be there or thereabouts.

Healy
    Strauss
    Henderson
    O'Brien
    O'Mahony
    Ferris
    Heaslip (think another tour is do-able)
    Leavy
    Murray
    Sexton
    Madigan
    Jackson
    Marshall
    Olding
    Henshaw
    Zebo
    Fitzgerald
    Earls
    Gilroy
    Kearney
    Bowe (maybe do-able but he'll be 33 which is old for a winger but Ieuan Evans was about that age in '97)

There are probably others, and hopefully there is some 16 or 17 year old out there that we haven't heard of yet who will come into contention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

Given it a go,but as said-impossible to tell,who will come through,who will fade,who will retire,who may be playing in france and not considered etc 4 years a long time in the rugby world..

01Alex Corbisiero(eng)
    02Luke Cowan-Dickie(eng)
    03Dan Cole(eng)
    04Iain Henderson(ire)
    05Joe Launchbury(eng)
    06Sean O Brien(ire)
    07Sam Warburton(wal)
    08Billy Vunipola(eng)
    09Luke McGrath(ire)
    10Rhys Patchell(wal)
    11George North(wal)
    12stuart Olding(ire)
    13Manu Tuilagi(eng)
    14eli Walker(wal)
    15Leigh Halfpenny(Wal)

subs
    16Stuart Hogg(sco)
    17Jonathan Sexton(ire)
    18Ben Youngs(eng)
    19Toby Faletau(wal)
    20Courtney Lawes(eng)
    21Tom Youngs(eng)
    22Cian Healy(ire)
    23Samson Lee(wal)

Given it a go,but as said-impossible to tell,who will come through,who will fade,who will retire,who may be playing in france and not considered etc 4 years a long time in the rugby world..

01Alex Corbisiero(eng)
    02Luke Cowan-Dickie(eng)
    03Dan Cole(eng)
    04Iain Henderson(ire)
    05Joe Launchbury(eng)
    06Sean O Brien(ire)
    07Sam Warburton(wal)
    08Billy Vunipola(eng)
    09Luke McGrath(ire)
    10Rhys Patchell(wal)
    11George North(wal)
    12stuart Olding(ire)
    13Manu Tuilagi(eng)
    14eli Walker(wal)
    15Leigh Halfpenny(Wal)

subs
    16Stuart Hogg(sco)
    17Jonathan Sexton(ire)
    18Ben Youngs(eng)
    19Toby Faletau(wal)
    20Courtney Lawes(eng)
    21Tom Youngs(eng)
    22Cian Healy(ire)
    23Samson Lee(wal)

That young Welsh FB from the JWC Jordan Williams looks an absolute star in the making and Sam Davies their 10 is another to keep an eye. The English O/S Jack Clifford could well be a Lion in the future too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

literally impossible to predict correctly

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Well Kidney isn't up to much right now...
    Should be a handy 15 minute commute for Eddie O'Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,849 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is a bit nonsensical as in 2009 nobody had North, Murray, Zebo, Parling, Farrell etc even on the radar.

Personally, I'm expecting Joe Schmidt to be head coach to a starting test team including 10 Irishmen brave and true, captained by Top 14 medalist Jonny Sexton who will have just helped win Leinster's fifth European Cup a year after his return from Racing Metro!

The interesting issue will be which Irish players that are beginning to make a breakthrough now will be up for selection. Guys on the right track are Tommy O'Donnell, Ian Henderson, Dominic Ryan, Niall Morris, the Killer, Straussy, Gilroy. Any others suggestions

• Advertisement

Four years ago did anyone watch the Irish U20s and say that that Murray lad will be a test Lion in four years time?

That's why Jaeger Scout is right, it's impossible to predict. Good fun though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

A lot of people, myself included, tend to go overboard with thinking current young superstars will be brought in, but the likes of Sexton, Bowe, Heaslip, RK, even Best will still be around and possibly pushing.

I'd say it's unlikely a guy like Cowan Dickie or McGrath will be in with a shout at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

A lot of people, myself included, tend to go overboard with thinking current young superstars will be brought in, but the likes of Sexton, Bowe, Heaslip, RK, even Best will still be around and possibly pushing.

I'd say it's unlikely a guy like Cowan Dickie or McGrath will be in with a shout at that stage.

How come? They will both be 24, the same age as Halfpenny, Warburton, Corbisiero and Murray currently and older then the likes of Tuilagi, Tipuric, Faletau, Gray, North, Cuthbert, Zebo and Ben Youngs. I reckon there will be a few lads who haven't even played for their clubs yet that will be in contention in four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

8 of the test 23 on Saturday weren't professional rugby players 4 years ago; only 7 of the 23 were even internationally capped when the squad was picked in 2009. Fun to take a pop at it but if anyone could guess more than 12 of the 23 they'll be doing really well!

Buer wrote: »
    8 of the test 23 on Saturday weren't professional rugby players 4 years ago; only 7 of the 23 were even internationally capped when the squad was picked in 2009. Fun to take a pop at it but if anyone could guess more than 12 of the 23 they'll be doing really well!

I suppose the only thing is that while I haven't looked at the respective age profiles of the '09 and '13 squads this squad does have the feel of being pretty young.

Out of the starting XV on Saturday you'd say that at most Adam Jones, Mike Phillips and Tommy Bowe won't be around in 2017 and actually you could argue that even they may still be in contention. In other words there is every chance that there will be far less turnover of players between 2013 and 2017 than there was between 2009 and 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭elefant

JagerScout wrote: »
    literally impossible to predict correctly

Well, it's not literally impossible

How come? They will both be 24, the same age as Halfpenny, Warburton, Corbisiero and Murray currently and older then the likes of Tuilagi, Tipuric, Faletau, Gray, North, Cuthbert, Zebo and Ben Youngs. I reckon there will be a few lads who haven't even played for their clubs yet that will be in contention in four years.

Possibly yes, but I was more referring to them specifically rather than their age.

A 24 year old hooker is unlikely, and Cowan Dickie has a long, long way to go to be a Lions test starter in 4 years, particularly with Hartley and Youngs ahead of him for England.

Similarly for Luke McGrath, he's huge competition for Leinster, never mind Ireland, never mind Lions.

It definitely can happen, as we've seen with Murray for eg, but so hard to predict. That's half the fun of it though I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Possibly yes, but I was more referring to them specifically rather than their age.

A 24 year old hooker is unlikely, and Cowan Dickie has a long, long way to go to be a Lions test starter in 4 years, particularly with Hartley and Youngs ahead of him for England.

Similarly for Luke McGrath, he's huge competition for Leinster, never mind Ireland, never mind Lions.

It definitely can happen, as we've seen with Murray for eg, but so hard to predict. That's half the fun of it though I suppose.
    Actually McGrath should be 1st choice at Leinster within 2 years and there would only be Murray ahead of him for Ireland (way over-rated) so he'd defo be thereabouts alright.

Cowan-Dickie has only just been converted from prop to hooker so that would be a long shot but look at Youngs so who knows.

O'Brien,Sexton,Zebo,Kearney,Henderson,Healy,Ferris(if fit),Fitzgerald would be dead certs IMO with maybe Olding,McGrath,Leavy,Tommy O'Donnell,O'Mahony,Madigan,Dom Ryan,Gilroy,Hanrahan as possibles.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

I dont think anyone is saying-here look this is the lions side 4 years down the line-but just a typical type team that it may look like-with some from this tour still around and that there will be some newcomers. I dont think these days you will get many simon shaw types touring in the future-its becoming increasingly a younger mans game-look at the amount of pros calling it a day each season,many at relatively younger ages.The pace,the physicality-it takes it toll.That is why i dont think its stupid to suggest there will be a fair few players who are now in the 16-20 age group who will be tourists 4 years down the line.knowing who will be the ones from that age group who make it is impossible to tell but still fun to guess who will be the stars in the future.
    many were predicting their lions teams only 6 months ago and getting them wrong-best a cert at hooker,ferris at 6,gray at lock etc-so 4 years out is pure guesswork!

funtime93 wrote: »
    Actually McGrath should be 1st choice at Leinster within 2 years and there would only be Murray ahead of him for Ireland (way over-rated) so he'd defo be thereabouts alright.

Cowan-Dickie has only just been converted from prop to hooker so that would be a long shot but look at Youngs so who knows.

O'Brien,Sexton,Zebo,Kearney,Henderson,Healy,Ferris(if fit),Fitzgerald would be dead certs IMO with maybe Olding,McGrath,Leavy,Tommy O'Donnell,O'Mahony,Madigan,Dom Ryan,Gilroy,Hanrahan as possibles.

Wouldn't be so sure about that, it's possible though.

Would that be the way oer-rated Conor Murray who's just starred in a Lions final test now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

elefant wrote: »
    Well, it's not literally impossible

Jamie-Redknapp_1074784.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

.ak wrote: »
    Wow, considering how off people were no more than 6 months ago I can only imagine getting this right would be akin to winning the lotto.

Still, if you get it right, I'll buy you a pint.

If you guess the AB XV, I'll buy you a year's worth of pints...not if you're danthefan though. That's cheating Warren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Wouldn't be so sure about that, it's possible though.

Would that be the way oer-rated Conor Murray who's just starred in a Lions final test now?
    Hardly starred.He was clearly 3rd choice throughout the tour and his game is too error-strewn for my liking.His box kicking is pathetic and he doesnt threaten around the fringes.His pass is better than McGrath alright but McGrath should improve that in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Wow if Murray's box kicking is pathetic I'd love to see a pro 9 who is good at it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Hardly starred.He was clearly 3rd choice throughout the tour and his game is too error-strewn for my liking.His box kicking is pathetic and he doesnt threaten around the fringes.His pass is better than McGrath alright but McGrath should improve that in time.

My my, we do have high expectations of our 9s there, funtime. I'm guessing you're not from the more southern parts of the republic. When jamiedav is finding Murray not too bad, you know he's actually been playing decent enough. He'll definitely be one of the first names on Schmidt's teamsheet come November Internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

It's this stupid idea that a box kick is only ever an up and under and it's never used to clear the ball downfield. It's absurd, especially considering the most obvious advantage of box-kicking is that you're essentially getting an extra 10 metres of territory. Conor Murray has one hell of a boot on the box kick and can clear it miles downfield, just like Pienaar and Genia. It's a great asset, being able to kick the ball from your own 22 to the other off a ruck.

Minus the bit about McGrath this post is all wrong.

Murray's box kicking was superb in the Lions series.

Murray doesn't threaten around the fringes? Are you serious?

He has his faults, but these aren't them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Must write this guess down and see if I get any right...

J Williams, North, Tuilagi, Olding, Zebo, Farrell, McGrath, Healy, Youngs, Cole, Launchbury, Jones, O'Brien, Kvesic, Faletau.
    Owens, Corbisiero, Lee, Henderson, Tipuric, Murray, Sexton, Davies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Corbisiero,Youngs,Moore,Launchbury,Henderson,Leavy,Tipuric,Faletau,McGrath,Ford,Walker,Beck,Tuilagi,North,Dardis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Klunk_NZ

Gatland to coach.

Advertisement