Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jobbridge Scandal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

^^^^ I guess NegativeCreep likes bad news! Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

On the first page of FAS jobs in Kilkenny, 21 are internships/CE schemes and 6 are paid jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

On the first page of FAS jobs in Kilkenny, 21 are internships/CE schemes and 6 are paid jobs.

This is f*cking depressing. I'm stuck on Tus and have this to look forward to when I'm finished :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭El Gato

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/06/the-court-ruling-that-could-end-unpaid-internships-for-good/276795/

AFAIK if there is a minimum wage in a country it is illegal to employ someone in any capacity on less than that figure €8.65 for over 18's which would mean that the minimum an 'intern' should be paid is €346? or is the gov't skirting this by calling the jobs 'internships'

As has been pointed out earlier, there are companies offering shelf stacking, car washing etc etc.......absolutely a total joke...

battery dieing.....will finish post later..........

El Gato wrote: »
    http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/06/the-court-ruling-that-could-end-unpaid-internships-for-good/276795/

AFAIK if there is a minimum wage in a country it is illegal to employ someone in any capacity on less than that figure €8.65 for over 18's which would mean that the minimum an 'intern' should be paid is €346? or is the gov't skirting this by calling the jobs 'internships'

As has been pointed out earlier, there are companies offering shelf stacking, car washing etc etc.......absolutely a total joke...

battery dieing.....will finish post later..........

You get €188 plus an extra €50, which is paid by the Government. The business/organisation does not pay a penny.

The reason the crappy interns go up - and in my case, I had to fight with them to remove the repeat of the intern I was on - is that every person that takes up an internship comes off the live register. They are letting every sh*t internship through!!!

According to www.jobbridge.ie:
    There are currently 2026 internships available and 5527 currently on an Internship

So that is 5,527 @ €50/week that the Government is paying on top of social welfare. That's €276,350 per week!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

do any of the foreigners have to do this scheme

Blatant troll, srsly.

MadsL wrote: »
    A company I used to work for had a guy who had worked for them for four years, and then been made redundant. He was brought back as a jobbridge intern.

...He's in his sixties!

This is a lie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Labour Party, the supporter of the working man (or women)

Well they are supposed to be! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭El Gato

You get €188 plus an extra €50, which is paid by the Government. The business/organisation does not pay a penny.

The reason the crappy interns go up - and in my case, I had to fight with them to remove the repeat of the intern I was on - is that every person that takes up an internship comes off the live register. They are letting every sh*t internship through!!!

According to www.jobbridge.ie:
    There are currently 2026 internships available and 5527 currently on an Internship

So that is 5,527 @ €50/week that the Government is paying on top of social welfare. That's €276,350 per week!!!

Yes, I am aware of the payment of €50 to bring the total to €238/week.....the point I was trying to make before my battery dies is that initially the business had to contribute something like €150/week and the gov't wouldn't have had to pay the extra €50/week which would have brought the weekly earnings almost in line with a minimum wage employee at no extra cost to the state.

BUT, IBEC (open to correction) refused to comply so our spineless, self-serving, two-faced, double-talking, statistic-manipulating gov't (and I use that term extremely lightly to describe the bunch of wasters that are 'running' (again lightly used and probably be spelled ruining) our country) decided to press on with a regressive scheme.

Also the manipulation of the figures Moan Burton & Dick Brutal keep coming out with is just ridiculous...I know the % were quoted earlier in the thread but I think the drop-out figure is more like 74% and 56% of the remaining 26% go on to secure employment but only a very small % with the company they did the slave labour 'internship' for....

I am open to correction on the figures but it really is about the manipulation of the figures and even more-so about the companies allowed to openly and overtly exploit a gov't scheme with little or no consequence, why? Because the gov't really don't give a fúck as it doesn't affect them or their families.....

http://www.jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=1274461 - has been up since Jan 2013......this is the 2nd or 3rd 'internship' offered by this company

http://www.saongroup.com/about/history/

http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/saongroup-in-30m-china-deal-221821.html

I enquired about this 'internship' and the response was that the candidate would have to be able to 'hit the ground running with little mentoring'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

You get €188 plus an extra €50, which is paid by the Government.

I'm 21. So if I was doing a Jobsbridge internship I'd only be getting €150 in total! For 40 hours work. That's only €3.75 per hour; kids in sweatshops would be outearning me!

• Advertisement

I'm 21. So if I was doing a Jobsbridge internship I'd only be getting €150 in total! For 40 hours work. That's only €3.75 per hour; kids in sweatshops would be outearning me!

Yep, and you'd work a full-on 40 hour week too.

Traditionally, internships wouldn't have been full time, to allow the intern to do paid part-time to get them through, or if they were full time, it would be taken into account in the workload that the intern either wasn't get paid at all, or was not getting paid much.

That's another reason this scheme is a joke. You'll be working as hard, or perhaps harder than people getting paid much more than you!

Yep, and you'd work a full-on 40 hour week too.

Traditionally, internships wouldn't have been full time, to allow the intern to do paid part-time to get them through, or if they were full time, it would be taken into account in the workload that the intern either wasn't get paid at all, or was not getting paid much.

That's another reason this scheme is a joke. You'll be working as hard, or perhaps harder than people getting paid much more than you!

And that €50 has to get you to and from the internship as well as there is no travel allowance.

It has to stop!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I remember before starting my course two years ago, I spent ages researching the whole career, where to find jobs.

Jobs were always advertised monthly in a journal, I never once saw a job on fas.

I have seen alot of internships advertised now on fas since they brought it in. Whereas they never bothered with fas before. Employers are taking full advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Labour Party, the supporter of the working man (or women)

Well they are supposed to be! :confused:

Those days are long gone. Labour is just another bunch of ruling class yuppies these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

No doubt the system is exploited by employers but I started a Jobbridge internship in January and it definitely helped me in getting permanent paid employment in my current position as I got to use the skills I had learned from college in a professional environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

No doubt the system is exploited by employers but I started a Jobbridge internship in January and it definitely helped me in getting permanent paid employment in my current position as I got to use the skills I had learned from college in a professional environment.

Sounds like you were one of the few who gained a positive thing from JobsBridge. But may I ask, what field of work are you in?

I highly doubt you did a internship in packing shelves. Which is the real scandal about JobsBridge. The type of jobs that should never have an internship :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

El Gato wrote: »

why? Because the gov't really don't give a fúck as it doesn't affect them or their families.....

dont worry labour wont be in government after the next election :D they will be queing for dole with the green party

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Its maybe not bad if internship is for large company and where person can obtain crucial skills.But most jobs that are going are totally ridiculous,you dont need 12 weeks to find out how to pack shelves,or be genius at serving customers,in that way i have witnessed the abuse first hand from my employer,firstly he sees it as free labour to help those in existing positions,then making intern do all the crap work that is done by those working just to make someone else do it,and to top if of interns aren't allowed or trained to do more advanced job.I believe that are a lot worse examples how companies manipulate and use this scheme to get free labor.
    Only way to demolish this system would be to pay interns whole salary,maybe splitting half and half between fas/government and employer,otherwise its total abuse and just stat manipulation on the weakest to get them take on jobs,where in most cases person will be likely to spend more on daily commute to work,food and dealing with %ickHeads to expect to work them as the rest who are payed proper salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

This cracker of a job was just posted today for a sales assistant in a Hair Salon
    The intern will gain practical experience in using EPOS system, stock control and customer relations. The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following customer relations, ordering stock, using EPOS system, stock taking, marketing and selling hair & beauty products. On completion the intern will have attained skills in customer relations, stock control and using EPOS system
    Skills Requirements

Ability to work as a team player. Have a professional work ethic. Be able to take direction from senior staff. Have a positive attitude.
    url

This job is an entry level job a best that no skills are needed for. Another abuse of this scheme. It seems nobody in FAS is checking on these jobs when they are posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Haha, they even list that you need to be qualified:
    Education Requirements:
    Other - Have a beauty or hairdressing qualification and have an interest in fashion beauty and hairdressing

Complete and utter abuse of the scheme.

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    Haha, they even list that you need to be qualified:

Complete and utter abuse of the scheme.

Seen one for a bar person yesterday on it as well they have no shame. Id be ok with this scheme if the employers were invoiced the persons welfare entitlements and the employer paid the government what the government gives the person and the job was a skilled position where someone could gain some experience. On this scheme the employer puts no investment into the person. If they paid the welfare bill then at least they would have put some investment into the peson and would want to offer the person a job after jobbridge is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭IK09

wow,

So im the only person who is having a good experience with these schemes. Used to be a teacher...hated it. Drove a van doing deliveries for 3 years, then my body couldnt take the beating anymore so had to leave.

Now im an intern in a Financial Services and Accounting firm. Learning about an industry that I had absolutely no experience in. Im getting experience that money cant buy and hopefully il be kept on when my time is up. I get on well with everyone else here and im confident that if the money is there i will be kept on.

If its not, i will have experience and will be far more employable in this sector. I can guarantee its the same people that are sitting at home moaning about this that refuse to re-train or upskill.

So shut ur moan holes!

IK09 wrote: »
    wow,

So im the only person who is having a good experience with these schemes. Used to be a teacher...hated it. Drove a van doing deliveries for 3 years, then my body couldnt take the beating anymore so had to leave.

Now im an intern in a Financial Services and Accounting firm. Learning about an industry that I had absolutely no experience in. Im getting experience that money cant buy and hopefully il be kept on when my time is up. I get on well with everyone else here and im confident that if the money is there i will be kept on.

If its not, i will have experience and will be far more employable in this sector. I can guarantee its the same people that are sitting at home moaning about this that refuse to re-train or upskill.

So shut ur moan holes!

I wasn't moaning at you Im glad you are getting the experience in a new field. What I find issue with is places that use this sceheme for not what it was intended for for example bar person, shop assistant and i even seen one for a cleaner before. The position you are in is what the scheme was meant for and I salute you and I hope you get kept on at the end of it or can use it to move on to something else.

Any system, anywhere is going to be abused as long as there are Irish people involved in it. Its terrible, but its the truth. There is a sense of entitlement in this country. Everybody expects everything to be handed to them in the easiest way possible. Im Irish and im ashamed of this country.

No one will start where they belong...at the bottom, they expect to walk into any job and start making decisions. Its time the people of this country took a long hard look at themselves, got off their holes and started to make something of themselves....from the bottom, where we belong.

So shut ur moan holes!

Yes, stop whinging, people, and do your shelf-stacking internship. :rolleyes:

I hate this scheme.

I don't have a sense of entitlement. I'm doing a postgrad in Sept and will working as a cleaner parttime to support myself. The difference? I'll actually be getting PAID for the work, which is how it should be unlike all the exploitation that's going on this scheme.

People don't might working hard, they just want fair remuneration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

wow,

So shut ur moan holes!

And In doing so you have out someone who studied and worked hard and maybe already has experience but got laid off, out of a job.

Yes, stop whinging, people, and do your shelf-stacking internship. :rolleyes:

Ya do ur "shelf stacking"...its a foot in the door. The problem is, when people do their "shelf stacking", they couldnt give a flyin fúck about anything work related. If shelf stacking is the job you want to get into, why not? Get your foot in the door.

The issue is people go around with their heads up their arsés and cant see a shelf that needs to be stacked. If you stack selves and you need to be told what to do, or told to actually stack the shelves instead of standing around chatting, your probably not going to be called back after your 6 months.

Most peoples reaction is "sure its only a shelf, it will get stacked....eventually" do what your there to do and there wont be a problem, if you want a job stacking selves and your in on a job reach or whatever, stack that dawm shelf better than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

And In doing so you have out someone who studied and worked hard and maybe already has experience but got laid off, out of a job.

Thats a FACT is it?

No i havent actually, it is a company that is expanding, on my first day i was told, the room full of boxes could be my office if i moved the boxes. I didnt say "naawww il just stay where i am thanks" I moved the bloody boxes.

So another typical lazy assumption on something you know nothing about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

They use JobBridge to massage the unemployment figures because anyone on it is off the live register but is still getting social welfare.

If we didn't have jobBridge the unemployment figures would be a lot lot more.

Advertisement