Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

19% of Irish households do not have access to the internet

Options
  • 04-07-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0703/460274-post-codes/

"The new digital strategy, to be published by Mr Rabbitte, was approved by Cabinet last night.
    It also reveals that 19% of Irish households do not have access to the internet."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is this strategy different to ones we had before?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

People who live out in the sticks don't have access to Tesco either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭clohamon

bealtine wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0703/460274-post-codes/

"The new digital strategy, to be published by Mr Rabbitte, was approved by Cabinet last night.
    It also reveals that 19% of Irish households do not have access to the internet."

Let's see where they get that figure from.

From Census 2011

Broadband|Other Connection|None|Not Stated|Total
    1051942|132973|426096|38397|16496408

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

19% in 2013 kinda crazy. Then when you consider probably another 20% have 1 - 3mb. So you might aswell say half the country cant get decent broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

But when people were living in the sticks it took years to get a telephone. My house was built in 1928 in Dublin and had a telephone from day 1 (There is actually a tiny special room for it off the hall). But my grandparents house built by my great-grandfather by the sea in Sligo 1928, didnt get a telephone until the 1980s. So extremely remote areas were always at a disadvantage.

Its going to take a long time to get broadband into rural areas and a lot of money. But it doesnt help when you wonder do half of the TDs know what netflix,youtube and iTunes are, which all require high speed connections. Alot of prefer to straighten a road which is never really used as it creates a few jobs. Rather than spending money on broadband which can improve quality of life vastly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Nolars wrote: »
    19% in 2013 kinda crazy. Then when you consider probably another 20% have 1 - 3mb. So you might aswell say half the country cant get decent broadband.

They probably don't include those that have mobile internet either...so in reality the figure is probably much much higher.

They probably don't include those that have mobile internet either...so in reality the figure is probably much much higher.

so Efiber will each approx 1.2 million homes by 2015 whats that about 55%

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

People who live in Dublin don't have access to the Eiffel Tower. What's your point?

Grid Electricity is a better comparison. Fibre can get anywhere electricity can, just as cheaply. Who doesn't have electricity off the Grid?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I have no broadband available to me but two tesco stores within 5 mins. So what next? Do you have any other inspirational one liners that will solve this issue?

• Advertisement

croo wrote: »
    I have no broadband available to me but two tesco stores within 5 mins. So what next? Do you have any other inspirational one liners that will solve this issue?

you're an exception

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Nolars wrote: »

I'm on 2mb which is the max I can get now. Had 4mb in 2007 but was downgraded a few years ago lol

spix wrote: »
    I'm on 2mb which is the max I can get now. Had 4mb in 2007 but was downgraded a few years ago lol

The big question is do you have a Tesco close to you?

you're an exception

How so? There are plenty of Tescos available in areas with no broadband...
    What are you trying to say?

img_32181.jpg

Ah here, you know exactly what i'm trying to say, the vast majority of people who can't get broadband live out in the back arse of nowhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Ah here, you know exactly what i'm trying to say, the vast majority of people who can't get broadband live out in the back arse of nowhere

I can't decide whether that's ignorance or your just a troll.

Probably a bit of both.

Hardly anyone in Ireland lives in the back of nowhere. That would imply no ESB service and no tarmac roads and no shops. It's simply not a big enough country.

Besides there are people in Dublin, Limerick, Cork & Galway Cities that either can't get Broadband or only poor entry level Broadband. There is problem too of the massively high Line Rental that has caused phone line usage to drop from 82% to under 66%.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Banks and Government organisations are trying to force us on to the Internet. If you cannot get broadband they should be told.
    My local TSB has changed from 5 counters to 2, they can only do this by getting people to use on line accounts, the local Ulster Bank cannot print me a statement over the counter anymore, I have to go online.

The GPO exchange doesn't have broadband

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Have you a source on that fact?

I can see the point you're trying to make (though you picked an awful analogue to illustrate it), but if you could back up such claims with a source, it'd help focus debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭sibergoth

Tesco has free wifi with clubcard !

Anyway - didn't the Rabbitte guy say 'at least 30Mbps NO MATTER HOW RURAL' ?

sibergoth wrote: »
    Anyway - didn't the Rabbitte guy say 'at least 30Mbps NO MATTER HOW RURAL' ?

He has been a bit coy about what he means by 30Mb/s. I think you can assume it's an "up to" speed.

The National Broadband Plan is not scheduled to begin roll-out until 2015. It is already behind schedule.

lovely..

3 years ago when my exchange (Kilmihil, Clare) finally got ADSL my line was rated at only 1Mbps, but I gave out to the eircom engineer who went and did something (strung up some new cable I guess) and it got upgraded to 2.55Mbps...

Now, I know that my line is capable of around 12Mbps, eircom came and did a line test at my house, but the exchange is only capable of 'up to' 3Mbps. I still only get 2.55Mbps down and a ridiculous 0.3Mbps up...

Kilmihil isn't on the fibre rollout map for the foreseeable, but a tiny little middle of nowhere village nearby (Cooraclare) is.

I wondered why (as they also got ADSL before us) and a quick check on Wikipedia tells us why immediately:

There is about 140 people living in the village. Famous people include Fianna Fáil Senator and former Minister For Social Welfare & Defence Brendan Daly and Tom Morrissey who played football for Clare in the 1992 Munster Senior Football Championship Final. (Beating Kerry)

Kilmihil population about 650.
    Cooraclare population about 140 (but one politician)

So the rural issue isn't a problem as long as a politician lives in the area....

i'm extremely pissed off and I'm trying to do something about this... but i've no idea where to start really ?
    I don't have money or time to set up my own ISP...

I'm a techy, i work at home for a large computer company, I NEED decent broadband at home or I am faced with a 100 mile round trip commute into the office.

that's about €12 or €14 a day JUST in Diesel... I simply can't afford it.

something has to be done SOON.

Up to is meaningless. My Usually 7.5Mbps is "up to" nearly 50Mbps. If it is 3am and if they by accident put my modem on a special engineering test mode. It's an FWA system, so actually that only works if everyone else got a different system and it was run purely for the personal benefit of one person. It would cost more then than a dedicated link! Normally it's "up to" 8Mbps and mostly I get 7.5Mbps.

Kilmihil isn't on the fibre rollout map for the foreseeable, but a tiny little middle of nowhere village nearby (Cooraclare) is.
    Do you have a source for that ? ASFAIK neither Cooraclare nor Kilmihil are on the VDSL program.
    I wondered why (as they also got ADSL before us) and a quick check on Wikipedia tells us why immediately:

There is about 140 people living in the village. Famous people include Fianna Fáil Senator and former Minister For Social Welfare & Defence Brendan Daly and Tom Morrissey who played football for Clare in the 1992 Munster Senior Football Championship Final. (Beating Kerry)
    I think you're flattering Brendan Daly there. I could be wrong but I don't think he has that much influence or ever had.

lovely..

something has to be done SOON.

Nothing outside Ennis or Shannon are on any VDSL rollout, so unless you are close to one of those exchanges...
    Where is Cooraclare?

Kilrush is according to eircom's fibre rollout map:

http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

eFibre launching 2014.

Cooraclare is a little North East of Kilrush.

• Advertisement

clohamon wrote: »
    Do you have a source for that ? ASFAIK neither Cooraclare nor Kilmihil are on the VDSL program.

I think you're flattering Brendan Daly there. I could be wrong but I don't think he has that much influence or ever had.

It was on the old version of the efibre map. I may have a screen shot somewhere.

Advertisement