Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OPSEC - Keeping your data private.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Khannie wrote: »
    If you have a phone, your movement is easily tracked by cell tower triangulation tbh. There was a lad who sued Deutche Telecom under freedom of information and got all the data they were holding on him. Frightening stuff....

http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte-spitz-data-retention/
    Huh. Good thing my phone tracking records will show that I haven't left the house in 18 months on account of my leaving it in the house.

Bottom line is folks if you're using electronics or credit cards someone knows more about you than they maybe should. The owners, admins, maybe even the mods of boards and every other forum/site/social network I post to could probably get my name and address if they really wanted to.

Just don't post stupid shit and draw attention to yourself, and voilá! The problem, she is gone. That and keep your preparations seperate from your actual life, this is probably the only place where the two are (tenuously) connected for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 teelady

HI everyone, I have just read all this with interest as i had a recent security issue with Google that made me think.
    I don't do much with the laptop except small email amt and browsing. Terrible to be middle-aged! Anyway, i followed Silenttrust's links and went with Firefox and duckduckgo. Downloaded a few addons and and am well pleased - i am not technical at all.
    BUT my internet dongle won't open in firefox (says no java available) and since i uninstalled google, i have to connect to the internet in Internet Explorer and then close IE and go into FF. Is this defeating the purpose of FF?

And, one last thing, i know (from endless reading last night!) that FF doesn't trust Java but when i use Duckduckgo, the first thing to pop up is page saying - click here for non-java page. Is there anyway to get it to go straight to the non-java page first.

I am new to posting here but am a prepper (more from ill-health and small emergency necessities than TEOTWAWKI) and am always reading with interest!

Tee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

I think all the posts on this thread relate to online activity. It is very important to shred all private documents before binning them especially into the recycle bin as these are manually sorted at the recycle centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Advertisement