Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rules 2013

Options
  • 03-07-2013 1:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭

Big news out of Oz today with the decision to send an all indigenous side to Ireland later in the year.

Good luck to the GAA lads trying to catch the likes of Jetta and Rioli! :eek:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/03/australia-indigenous-team-international-rules-series?CMP=twt_gu
    Australia to field all-indigenous team for International Rules Series

Australia will field an all-indigenous line-up for their International Rules Series (IRS) tour of Ireland in October, the AFL's deputy chief Gill McLachlan said on Wednesday.

With a side expected to boast Hawthorn forwards Lance Franklin and Cyril Rioli and Sydney's dual Brownlow Medallist Adam Goodes, Australia will tackle Ireland in two Tests in late October.

McLachlan described the AFL's decision as a significant announcement.

"To the best of our knowledge, the all-stars representing the AFL in this IRS series will be the first all-indigenous team to represent a sporting code at senior level overseas since that first cricket team toured England in 1868," McLachlan said.

Former Sydney Swans forward Michael O'Loughlin will coach the side, assisted by his former coach at the Swans Rodney Eade, who's currently an assistant at Collingwood.

Eade coached the Australian side in the 2011 series.

Adelaide and Australian IRS great Andrew McLeod and ex-Brisbane defender Chris Johnson will also be on O'Loughlin's coaching panel.

Ireland are current champions following their series win in 2011.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Right. So who the hell are we going to select with matching pace now :confused::confused::confused:
    Not to mention how we're going to cope with Big Buddy!
    Answers on a postcard to GAA HQ... :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

that would be great, as long as the marquee players do go, the likes of those mentioned. however, if they do the usual and send over b grade players, then it will make a waste of a trip.

Goodes was on the last one over here, and was absoutely brilliant, so hopefully he'll go again and maybe might inspire/convince the others to go too.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shanemkelly

Agreed. I'll definitely be going to both matches if the big guns come over...
    Might even wear a Giants guernsey to cheer on Buddy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Maybe the Irish team should be made up solely of travellers?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭SSK

I think it's a great decision and should bring a bit of excitement to the whole thing. That's assuming the big guns play, if they don't then it could be the death of the whole concept.

Goodes, Franklin, Burgoyne, Jetta, Hill, Betts, Motlop, Rioli. Won't be short of excitement, but the first 2 names are key as they are probably the 2 most marketable players in the AFL. Looking forward to see what the Irish team looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

nordydan wrote: »
    Maybe the Irish team should be made up solely of travellers?

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

So the 2013 Australian team is indigenous only. How is this an improvement or a revamp? Can they not simply send their all their top AFL players over, all Australians regardless of how long their ancestors go back in time on the continent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

This series is dying on its feet. Aside from obvious issues such as lop sided results and over the top violent conduct from the aussie players there just is no appetite for the game in australia. The only people who go to the games are the irish ex pats over there (I was one) and some locals they have managed to cajole into going over there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Anyone else think this is Racist

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Anyone else think this is Racist

Do elaborate, please...

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Do elaborate, please...

it's been spoken about a bit about how a team is being selected solely on their ethnicity, which does have a hint of racism to it. Flip it the other way, and imagine the uproar if the AFL came out and said lets send over a team exclusively of white players.

It can be viewed as being slightly racist, but it would be nitpicking really and only another stick for those against the idea to throw more criticism at it. I can see the viewpoint that it may be considered racism, but I dont consider it racist.

I don't think it's racist in the slightest, more an opportunity to showcase some of the fantastic indigenous talent on another stage. The fact that it's a different angle will bring some extra attention to the series, something it badly needs.

If this is racist then so is Dream Time at the G, the Indigenous All Stars and every other effort the AFL makes to recognise players of that background.

Of course it's racist. Just because its the minority is being favored in this case, doesn't change the fact that it's racist. What if it were the other way around and the best Aboriginal players were told they couldn't play because they weren't white

It's selecting people based on the colour of their skin, because of their race. And That is Racist

If you think that way then is indigenous round also racist and women's round sexist?

The AFL is just one big ball of prejudice?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't think it's racist in the slightest, more an opportunity to showcase some of the fantastic indigenous talent on another stage. The fact that it's a different angle will bring some extra attention to the series, something it badly needs.

If this is racist then so is Dream Time at the G, the Indigenous All Stars and every other effort the AFL makes to recognise players of that background.

yup, agree with that, despite my being able to understand why others may consider it racist.

instead of viewing it as racist, some should view it as a celebration of a historic culture, the real original Australian culture and their abilities in playing footy.

many sports have something along the same lines. Gaelic football has gaelteacht competitions for clubs who are based in gaelteachts, black history month in American Football and basketball and there are more I cnat think off the top of my head. Yes, some may take a line of things being racist, but most will see it for what it is, and a way to salute a minority of people who play at a high level in sport and had to work hard to get there.

calling the initiative racist is a bit silly. The Aborignal people of australia do see themselves as a seperate people. Katy Freeman came under serious criticism after she donned an aboriginal nations flag. If this team represents that version of australia then it is not racist, they are sending an aboriginal team, representing aboriginal australia

to be honest I think the concept has far bigger problems than this, the lack of a competitive, viewer friendly spectacle is one. Something that is not played often enough to be anything other than a curiosity

It's all unnecessary. Why do the AFL feel they need to have Indigenous round? They say its aim is to recognize the contribution of Indigenous people and culture to Australia. But all it does is promote that idea that aboriginals are different from whites.

It's all unnecessary. Why do the AFL feel they need to have Indigenous round? They say its aim is to recognize the contribution of Indigenous people and culture to Australia. But all it does is promote that idea that aboriginals are different from whites.

Because they are different maybe? And for years in the AFL they were treated as second class citizens because of it and years of racial abuse, both physical and verbal, from players and supporters was ignored. Until Nicky Winmar, Gilbert McAdam and others stood up to it in the early 90s.

Indigenous Round is a celebration of indigenous players past and present, a way of demonstrating that all are now on an equal footing and vehicle for the AFL to raise awareness about the damage caused by racial abuse.

While it may be a somewhat self-congratulatory exercise by the AFL, and the more cynical may see it as simply a marketing tool, the players seem to enjoy and embrace it and Dreamtime at the G is one of the truly special occasions in the AFL calendar. So IMO the benefits far outweigh any vague notion of racism that may be associated with it.

Similarly with the International Rules, it is surely only the most politically correct zealots that are making a fuss over this. Do you really think that Pendlebury or Ablett or Dangerfield or any of the other star "white" players in the league are sitting there thinking they have be racially victimised? Of course they're not - for the past few series everyone has had an equal opportunity to play and most have turned their nose up at it. A simple glance at the team lists previous years would reveal a motley crew of few stars, plenty of footsoldiers and a fair helping of duds, playing because they were literally the last men standing. So while the concept may seem racist in the ideological sense, the reality is far removed from racism IMO.

The AFL have seen an opportunity to bring a sense of purpose and excitement to they series by allowing the Indigenous All Stars to participate in the International Rules (at the request of the players themselves). As long as the indigenous stars line out, which most of them have seemed to indicate they will, the quality of the team will be at least at a similar standard to previous years, with fast, skillful players who are well suited to the game. I struggle to see any downside to it, and I am certain that once the selection is opened up to all the players again for the next series any perceived racism will be soon forgotten.

No I don't buy that. It's like the AFL organisation is standing on top of a hill once a year, waving a big "We're Not Racist" flag and thinking they have done their duty for another season.

The whole thing is insincere and incredibly patronizing to the Aborgional people

No I don't buy that. It's like the AFL organisation is standing on top of a hill once a year, waving a big "We're Not Racist" flag and thinking they have done their duty for another season.

The whole thing is insincere and incredibly patronizing to the Aborgional people

Look I'm not going to argue with you on this, particularly when the only posts you have on this forum are on this thread crying foul over racism.

If there's one thing the AFL is actually semi-competent at it is raising racial awareness and trying to stamp out discrimination. But you believe what you want to believe.

• Advertisement

I'm not exactly sure why you think you can speak for an entire race of people. Surely if it was patronising they would be up in arms over it, which they arent.

bruschi wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure why you think you can speak for an entire race of people. Surely if it was patronising they would be up in arms over it, which they arent.

Maybe he is the Aboriginal Race!

In yo face bruschi!! BOOM

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sure haven't we sent indigenous team to every test since this thing started?!?

Aren't they just copying us?

endacl wrote: »
    Sure haven't we sent indigenous team to every test since this thing started?!?

Aren't they just copying us?

True, as a bogger I feel highly patronised by the GAA as a result

willabur wrote: »
    True, as a bogger I feel highly patronised by the GAA as a result

Maybe a big snazzy poster like
    Aboggeriginals Vs Aboriginals

might capture the imagination of the skeptical public?

The Australians have named their squad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-29/indigenous-international-rules-squad-named

Obviously Franklin and Goodes are the star names there, with some other very good players in Burgoyne, Wells, Walker, Ryder and Stokes.

There's also a good crop of exciting young players like Bennell, Motlop, Walters and the Hills who could really be stars in the hybrid game.

Unfortunately a lot of Aussies will likely mock the team and concept because there's alos a fair smattering of mediocre players like Davey, McGrath, Armstrong, Lovett-Murray etc who struggle to get games for their clubs.

Also no Rioli which is disappointing but not surprising given his injury issues.

SSK wrote: »
    The Australians have named their squad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-29/indigenous-international-rules-squad-named

Obviously Franklin and Goodes are the star names there, with some other very good players in Burgoyne, Wells, Walker, Ryder and Stokes.

There's also a good crop of exciting young players like Bennell, Motlop, Walters and the Hills who could really be stars in the hybrid game.

Unfortunately a lot of Aussies will likely mock the team and concept because there's alos a fair smattering of mediocre players like Davey, McGrath, Armstrong, Lovett-Murray etc who struggle to get games for their clubs.

Also no Rioli which is disappointing but not surprising given his injury issues.

There was always going to be a few weak players considering the concept.

It's a seriously skillfull and attack minded team, definitely light in regards to solid defenders.

I'd have thought Josh Gibson would be eligible? Harry O'Brien too. Both of them could have provided a bit more of a defensive backbone.

The series is lob sided due to the Aussies approach to the series more than the Irish.
    The Irish are happy to compete home or away but it seems the Aussies are bothered about competing at home and that's usually why the Irish win in Australia and vice versa.

We've also picked some very suspect players the past two series, when Anthony Tohill was picking lads based on physique.
    I don't think I'd be the only Irish man who didn't know who a number of the players were the last time the series came to Ireland.
    Was an extremely poor side and was nowhere the best of the bunch.
    He only got us over the line the following year in Australia for the aforementioned reasons(weak Aus team)

Hopefully Early does a better job.

Harry O Brien isnt indigenous, he was born in Brazil.

Pity about Rioli, but unsurprising.

but other than that, it is an exceptional team. stars throughout it. I genuinely cant think of any indigenous player of quality left out. As SSK says, the depth may be a bit weak, but its no more weaker than other years, and I think its actually the strongest lineup for quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

If you look deep enough you can find a silly reason to back any claim. I have never seen any of these inclusions as anything other than the AFL taking pride in all cultures and history in Australia. I find it refreshing. However, in your take up offense approach, you are inciting that there is a difference based on race or colour of skin. Occam's razor says the simpliest solution is usually the right one, and in this case, I think you are introducing an argument that only exists in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Should be getting an interview with Adam Goodes and a few of the other lads when they arrive over here, anyone have any questions they would like to see asked?

Advertisement