Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Switch - Question on Wiring

Options
  • 02-07-2013 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    I'm wiring an immersion switch like this:
    newswitch.jpg
    I have wired brown to L-IN, black to N-IN
    I have connected L-OUT to COM. When I check L-1 and L-2 with a phase tester when the on-off switch is on they are both live no matter how I switch the Bath-Sink switch.
    Does this mean the switch is defective? I would expect one to be live at a time depending on whether Bath or Sink is on?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

sounds like you're wiring the immersion flex into the supply side of switch

brown and black from the flex connect to L1 and L2 on the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Philip82

Wire: Mains brown=Lin
    Mains blue=Nin
    Imm Flex Brown=L1
    Imm Flex Blue=Nout
    Imm Flex Black=L2

Use a piece of 2.5mm brown wire (same size as brown in mains supply to switch) and loop between Com+Lout
    Earths together in earth terminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sona_sasta

Philip82 wrote: »
    Wire: Mains brown=Lin
    Mains blue=Nin
    Imm Flex Brown=L1
    Imm Flex Blue=Nout
    Imm Flex Black=L2

Use a piece of 2.5mm brown wire (same size as brown in mains supply to switch) and loop between Com+Lout
    Earths together in earth terminal.
    I'm pretty sure this is how I've wired it, the only difference is that my Mains Neutral is black, I think this happens sometimes? Either way I don't have a blue on the supply mains.

I had a closer look last night and I think I know what is happening. I have a dual element immersion. Where the thermostat is on the combined neutral like this 260955.png
    If L1 is active, I believe the current is entering the immersion, travelling through the element hitting the thermostat which is off, re-entering the 2nd immersion element and making the L2 connection live?
    260956.png

Does that look correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Philip82

If you have a black nuetral do have a red live, the old cable colours were red and black. Check with a multimeter if you have 230v on your incoming cable first of all. To me it sounds like you have no nuetral either at the switch or travelling through the switch.

sona_sasta wrote: »
    If L1 is active, I believe the current is entering the immersion, travelling through the element hitting the thermostat which is off, re-entering the 2nd immersion element and making the L2 connection live?

yes
    that happens when the stat cuts out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

yes
    that happens when the stat cuts out

When the stat cuts off the current ceases to flow. If you still have current flowing then you have wrong wiring.

To trouble shoot this problem you need a multimeter. A phase tester is pretty useless other than to indicate the presence of a voltage.

Cerco wrote: »
    When the stat cuts off the current ceases to flow. If you still have current flowing then you have wrong wiring.

To trouble shoot this problem you need a multimeter. A phase tester is pretty useless other than to indicate the presence of a voltage.

no

you get a back feed when the stat cuts out

no

you get a back feed when the stat cuts out

When the circuit is open, no current flows. When the stat opens then there is no circuit, so no current flows. I think you are confusing current and voltage here.

When the circuit is open, no current flows. When the stat opens then there is no circuit, so no current flows. I think you are confusing current and voltage here.

current and voltage eh...........:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Mike is spot on, with stat closed, the element which is not switched on by the bath/sink switch is held at neutral potential. When stat opens, the two elements are connected only to the live via the selector switch, with the now disconnected common neutral terminal connected to nothing.

You are incorrect to say there is no circuit, as the circuit is through sw1 and sw2, through the 18 ohm bath element, through the 23ohm sink element, to the switch and through the phase tester and the user, to earth/neutral.

So it is yourself who is somewhat confused by element-ary stuff possibly.

• Advertisement

current and voltage eh...........:rolleyes:

The answer to everything, it's not the voltage, its the current......

there's raisons for everything and currants for cakes:pac:

It would be fun trouble shooting with the multi-meter, when nothing is wrong. No raison to be testing it...

Bruthal wrote: »
    Mike is spot on, with stat closed, the element which is not switched on by the bath/sink switch is held at neutral potential. When stat opens, the two elements are connected only to the live via the selector switch, with the now disconnected common neutral terminal connected to nothing.

You are incorrect to say there is no circuit, as the circuit is through sw1 and sw2, through the 18 ohm bath element, through the 23ohm sink element, to the switch and through the phase tester and the user, to earth/neutral.

So it is yourself who is somewhat confused by element-ary stuff possibly.
    I think you should go back to basics and review your reply. Your are wrong!

When the stat is open no current flows. This is precisely why the supply voltage appears on each end of the elements because there is no voltage drop across either of them. Review the sketch. The closing stat makes the circuit through the selected element. When the stat is open the circuit is open. Hence no current. QED

When the stat is open no current flows. This is precisely why the supply voltage appears on each end of the elements because there is no voltage drop across either of them. Review the sketch. The closing stat makes the circuit through the selected element. When the stat is open the circuit is open. Hence no current. QED
    Thats interesting, since earlier you said this.....
    ... and there was never anything actually wrong. Good look trouble shooting a properly working immersion.

Since there was never any problem with the immersion, and you told a poster who said its normal for an immersion selector to indicate both L1 and L2 as live when the stat opens, that he was mixing up current and voltage, then I dont know how you are claiming anyone is wrong. This is beyond simplicity at the very lowest level in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Indeed

Dropped a brush in the boiler room and disconnected the mains input to the thermostats. When I opened the cover the lead was hanging free. The cable restraint was not holding the cable tightly in place.

I reconnected the input lead to the first pin and the boiler is firng up okay. I just want to be sure I got it right.

Pins 2 is free. 3 & 4 are connected together. Pin 5 is free and Pin 6 is the output power to the boiler.
    Anybody familiar with the wiring on these thermostats.
    Trying to figure out how to attach a pic.
    Pic attached , I hope confused.png

The immersion stat expert confused by 2 boiler stats in series, who`d have thought it.

double trouble wah

double trouble wah

I know what he is getting at with the no current flowing with stat open etc. But no one was claiming any current flows with the stat open, but it does when the out of circuit element is touched with a phase tester and it lights, and the stat is open. As you said yourself.

The immersion stat expert confused by 2 boiler stats in series, who`d have thought it.

Just goes to show how much I learned in such a short time.
    It was the OP who wrote about current flow when the stat was open. Mike assured him that was normal.
    I think we are all agreed now that no current flows when the stat is open in a correctly wired system. If indeed there was a current flowing then a phase tester would not suffice to troubleshoot.

• Advertisement

Just goes to show how much I learned in such a short time.
    It was the OP who wrote about current flow when the stat was open. Mike assured him that was normal.

The fundamental item you missed though, current flows when the phase tester is lighting. But only (through the phase tester) when the stat is open.

That is what mike said. Because he used the word backfeed, you added complexity to a simple item, so simple in reality, that a little intuition would have shown what mike was saying.
    I think we are all agreed now that no current flows when the stat is open in a correctly wired system. If indeed there was a current flowing then a phase tester would not suffice to troubleshoot.
    Do you honestly think that lads here think there is current flow in a heater when the stat is open? And that you have now shown us the way?

Cerco

you should post more often if you have an interest in electrical work

no harm in a bit of banter

I dont know, threads seem to close before a bit of banter starts these days:pac:

The fundamental item you missed though, current flows when the phase tester is lighting. But only (through the phase tester) when the stat is open.

That is what mike said. Because he used the word backfeed, you added complexity to a simple item, so simple in reality, that a little intuition would have shown what mike was saying.

Do you honestly think that lads here think there is current flow in a heater when the stat is open? And that you have now shown us the way?
    No, I was not trying to show the lads the way. My reason for posting was to assist the OP in understanding the set up. I felt it was necessary to be precise so the OP could gain some knowledge. I am sorry if you misunderstood this.

No, I was not trying to show the lads the way. My reason for posting was to assist the OP in understanding the set up. I felt it was necessary to be precise so the OP could gain some knowledge. I am sorry if you misunderstood this.

In electrical, I mis-understand everything.

Anyway, as mike says, keep posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Think tank 1

Hi. I'm trying to put a new switch for the immersion heater. I'm not sure if the immersion is actually working. But I would like to get the switch sorted first. I have old wiring. Red L. I have followed an order thread. I have wired it in the following way.
    From the mains
    RED_Lin
    Black_NIn
    From the immersion.
    Blue - Nout
    Brown L1
    Black L2
    I then looped common to Lout and it tripped the ECB in the fuse box.

Hi. I'm trying to put a new switch for the immersion heater. I'm not sure if the immersion is actually working. But I would like to get the switch sorted first. I have old wiring. Red L. I have followed an order thread. I have wired it in the following way.
    From the mains
    RED_Lin
    Black_NIn
    From the immersion.
    Blue - Nout
    Brown L1
    Black L2
    I then looped common to Lout and it tripped the ECB in the fuse box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

What is that mark on the red cable??? looks damaged.

Why are you putting on a new switch??

What is that mark on the red cable??? looks damaged.

Why are you putting on a new switch??
    Hi. The old switch was very old. I just want to have the immersion as back up incase the gas boiler breaks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Was the immersion working before you changed the switch?

Advertisement