Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did a load of Protesters try to Hijack Dublin Pride

Options
  • 01-07-2013 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

I think some of you will have noticed that some people with banners "Jail the Bankers, People before profit" etc. tried to hijack the pride march last Saturday on front of Pennies . They were intimidating, tried to stop a Labour LGBT bus, threw stuff at the bus, and were yelling "We are having a peaceful protest" (sic) and the guards just did nothing.

I enjoyed pride otherwise, but seeing this on my first one kinda made me anxious, I don't get it why did they try to hijack something that has bugger all to do with bankers ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I think it's a great sign that pride is becoming mainstream when the only real protest is against the straight politicians for reasons that have nothing to do with pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

They had the opportunity I suppose, there were a few high profile TD's on the bus, they were a captive audience so it was probably too good to pass up.

I'm just glad it wasn't an anti gay protest, that was the first thing I expected when I heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

eviltwin wrote: »
    They had the opportunity I suppose, there were a few high profile TD's on the bus, they were a captive audience so it was probably too good to pass up.

I'm just glad it wasn't an anti gay protest, that was the first thing I expected when I heard about it.

I think they made themselves look like idiots.

Still not as bad as these "Straight Pride UK" morons who appeared at London Pride

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

More about it here: http://www.thejournal.ie/labour-bus-parade-971670-Jun2013/

If you read the comments, one of the protesters (Mark Egan) explains their side of the argument.

Is this why they tried to ban political floats?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is this why they tried to ban political floats?

They didnt try to ban political floats

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

More about it here: http://www.thejournal.ie/labour-bus-parade-971670-Jun2013/

If you read the comments, one of the protesters (Mark Egan) explains their side of the argument.

I looked at his facebook page and really can't take him seriously.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I looked at his facebook page and really can't take him seriously.

Neither can I, I don't understand how Stonewall has any relevance to what they do. Are banks or Labour repressing us, brutally stopping our rights, arresting us for nothing? No, I find it kinda offensive in a way.

His thing on the journal "Oh its okay since I am gay myself" doesn't cut it for me. I was in the student Demos in London a couple of years back, that was about government making us pay for their mistakes. Would it have been correct to protest about LGBT rights there?

I thinks its more there are cameras so they would get out there, not many people would interested in a protest outside the parliament , but a huge family event... Any publicity is good publicity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I think some of you will have noticed that some people with banners "Jail the Bankers, People before profit" etc. tried to hijack the pride march last Saturday on front of Pennies . They were intimidating, tried to stop a Labour LGBT bus, threw stuff at the bus, and were yelling "We are having a peaceful protest" (sic) and the guards just did nothing.

I enjoyed pride otherwise, but seeing this on my first one kinda made me anxious, I don't get it why did they try to hijack something that has bugger all to do with bankers ?

These groups will use any opportunity to be heard. It even happened during the student third level registration fees the past two times there were protests. Groups such as Eirigí and People Before Profit, who were protesting about stuff that had nothing to do with the original intention of the day. Also, they were causing hassle. Sadly, it's their only way of getting heard, which says a lot. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

hey, maybe pride shouldn't have political statements at all, rather than deciding who has the credentials to voice opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I just seen his Facebook page name: "DanaForTaoiseach"

OH GOD THE IRONY

hey, maybe pride shouldn't have political statements at all, rather than deciding who has the credentials to voice opinions.

In my opinion pride and politics are completely intertwined and I don't see why pride should be apolitical or anti political.

Pride in itself is a political statement.

Terry Pratchet

In my opinion pride and politics are completely intertwined and I don't see why pride should be apolitical or anti political.

Pride in itself is a political statement.

Well then, people can say what they want at it so.

Well then, people can say what they want at it so.

Sure. I never suggested differently.

I object to the physical attacks though; throwing things at the bus, assaulting stewards, threatening to set the bus on fire.

Terry Pratchet

Sure. I never suggested differently.

I object to the physical attacks though; throwing things at the bus, assaulting stewards, threatening to set the bus on fire.

Oh no, not having a go at you or your position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Fruit1985

I was standing at the GPO pillar (while a friend was inside) where the 'Jail the bankers' protest had congregated. They noticed Ruairi Quinn and seized the moment for the publicity. If it were any other noticeable politician in the vicinity that they observed, the same thing would have happened to them.

Not too sure if that's relevant but that's exactly how it happened.

As for the parade itself, I boycotted this year out of disgust for this drama a few days before. Not for the subject of the drama itself, rather the tit-for-tat facebook exchanges that occurred from both sides which was all worthless in the end as the issue was resolved in a face to face meeting. I felt the whole situation could have been handled a lot more diplomatically and privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Pride is a march about gay pride. Anyone that wants to hijack it for anything else can go to hell. You can give contorted rationalisations for anything you want—gay people are suffering under this government too!—I don't care, stop hijacking an event that has nothing to do with your mission.

I think bodice ripper actually makes a very important point - if part of pride is about asserting rights to freedom of expression (it certainly is in Eastern Europe and Russia anyway) then surely those protesting against Labour also have a right to freedom of expression.

Terry Pratchet

Zillah wrote: »
    Pride is a march about gay pride. Anyone that wants to hijack it for anything else can go to hell. You can give contorted rationalisations for anything you want—gay people are suffering under this government too!—I don't care, stop hijacking an event that has nothing to do with your mission.

Are you saying political parties shouldnt march in pride?

Terry Pratchet

Are you saying political parties shouldnt march in pride?

I'm saying anyone can march in support of gay rights. If you're marching for any other reason then go away.
    then surely those protesting against Labour also have a right to freedom of expression.

Of course they do, they're just being assholes by hi-jacking an unrelated event to gain extra attention to their message.

• Advertisement

I'm saying anyone can march in support of gay rights. If you're marching for any other reason then go away.

Of course they do, they're just being assholes by hi-jacking an unrelated event to gain extra attention to their message.

I do believe that's what protesters do.

Labour have been on pride marches in support of LGBT rights for many years in this country - sorry but that is just anti political rubbish that they hijacked the event.

Labour has a proud record on LGBT rights and should not be afraid to actively support or defend lgbt rights and to show that it has done so in the last 20 years.

Pride IS political, we're lucky that we're in a country where every single political party supports the aims of Pride and LGBT rights generaly, but it is first and foremost a display of visibility that shows wherever we are that there are too many of us to be ignored, swept under the carpet or eliminated.

Some of those who were on the Labour bus have been going to prides for more than 20 years, some had their names taken by gardai in the pre-legal years, all have used their positions when they could to advance the cause. To exclude them would make about as much sense as excluding our straight allies.

Secondly Pride is about inclusion, the idea that politics and politicians should be excluded is about as reasonable as asking for hairdressers to be excluded.

Finally, there are a number of politicians of all parties and independents that have and continue to have an active involvement in LGBT issues. Thats why so many parties have a contingent that march in pride, and while I'd disagree with a good deal of those parties I appreciate their presence at pride, in the same way that all community groups and everyone else with an active involvement with society, even those with competing aims, are appreciated.

If you took what you are saying to an extreme then almost every group in the parade would be "hi-jacking an unrelated event to gain extra attention to their message"

Google/Nissan/Absolut - hijacking to sell their product
    LGBT Vegans - hijacking to spread the message of veganism
    Wet and Wild - hijacking to spread their message about lgbt sport
    PSEU/INTO - hijacking to spread the message of trade unionism
    Scouting - hijacking to spread the message of scouting
    The George - Hijacking to sell more alcohol

Terry Pratchet

Eh, I'm talking about the protesters that hijacked and disrupted the parade because of their opposition to austerity etc, like the thread title says :)

Eh, I'm talking about the protesters that hijacked and disrupted the parade because of their opposition to austerity etc, like the thread title says :)

oops - I misread what you said

Terry Pratchet

It is kinda random hijacking something that has nothing to do with what you are protesting over.

IF anything the protestors just made themselves look bad

It is kinda random hijacking something that has nothing to do with what you are protesting over.

IF anything the protestors just made themselves look bad

A) protesters do that.
    B) it does have something to do with it, as Labour were at pride.

The people you get into bed with have baggage too...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

A) protesters do that.
    B) it does have something to do with it, as Labour were at pride.

The people you get into bed with have baggage too...
    So people behind Labour who were disrupted by these eejits should've boycotted Pride because politicians were showing support for it?

Pride started out as a disruptive and provactive protest.

Early gay activists used similar tactics - maybe more so in the States then here (perhaps?) - but groups like Act Up regularly hijacked events to get their message about the AIDS crisis out.

I think it would be a bit rich if Pride now tried to object when it becomes the victim of similar tactics.

I don't agree with the protestors and perhaps they could have found a better event to do it at, but many gay activists would have considered politicians at an equivalent event fair game.

We shouldn't forgot where we came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭paulmorro

floggg wrote: »
    Pride started out as a disruptive and provactive protest.

Early gay activists used similar tactics - maybe more so in the States then here (perhaps?) - but groups like Act Up regularly hijacked events to get their message about the AIDS crisis out.

I think it would be a bit rich if Pride now tried to object when it becomes the victim of similar tactics.

I don't agree with the protestors and perhaps they could have found a better event to do it at, but many gay activists would have considered politicians at an equivalent event fair game.

We shouldn't forgot where we came from.
    I'm one of those who hate this sort of protest and unfortunately would've been rolling my eyes if I was around back then (yes I realise things wouldn't of happened near as quick but that's the way I am on these things) so I'd be of the similar opinion on something like this. Especially since its not like they planned to disrupt the parade but just descended into a mob when they saw the bus.

Edit: Actually if I saw gay activists disrupting a woman's rights march, say, I wouldn't just roll my eyes, I'd be disgusted!

• Advertisement

paulmorro wrote: »
    I'm one of those who hate this sort of protest and unfortunately would've been rolling my eyes if I was around back then (yes I realise things wouldn't of happened near as quick but that's the way I am on these things) so I'd be of the similar opinion on something like this. Especially since its not like they planned to disrupt the parade but just descended into a mob when they saw the bus.

Edit: Actually if I saw gay activists disrupting a woman's rights march, say, I wouldn't just roll my eyes, I'd be disgusted!

Unfortunately though, the polite dignified protest which doesn't cause any disruption doesn't tend to really get the publics attention very well.

Advertisement