Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beautiful song to remind us why we are Christian

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

hinault wrote: »

Terrible

It's Alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭paulaa

My favourite Irish hymn and one I will have at my funeral
    "Be Thou My Vision" (Old Irish: Rop tú mo baile or Rob tú mo bhoile) is a traditional hymn from Ireland. The most well known English version, with some minor variations, was translated by Eleanor Hull and published in 1912. In 1919, the lyrics were set to the tune of the Irish folk tune "Slane", to which the song is sung to this day, both in English and Irish. The song dates from at least the eighth century, though it has often been attributed to the sixth-century Irish Christian poet Saint Dallan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭love humanity

O Virgin Pure / Agni Parthene : ) a beautiful Byzantine chant

In English youtube.com/watch?v=fi8Q2Dy7Iyk

In Greek youtube.com/watch?v=IomxvOTf-So

In Russian youtube.com/watch?v=C7vvPXz-Qes

In Arabic youtube.com/watch?v=NUrnzwLAf3Y

• Advertisement

This is amazing also

Lets remember our Christian brothers and sisters in Syria in prayer who are suffering greatly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭love humanity

Beautiful chant from the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople

youtube.com/watch?v=lobgieX4rKg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Gregorian Chant for Catholic Mass and Devotion

• Advertisement

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - The Power Of Love

I think this is a first for this thread but presenting Swedish Power metal:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,070 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My teen years as a Methodist meant I learned numerous hymns, and still remember many of them. We sang at every opportunity, on bus trips, while camping - we had a number of choir members in the group and it is a lovely memory of a bunch of teens in the '60s singing hymns (with all the descants), sentimental stuff like 'All in the April Evening, and the odd dodgy ditty. Even without belief there are some good thoughts in some of the hymns; one of my favourites, not for the tune but for the words, is this:

The Elixir
    BY GEORGE HERBERT

Teach me, my God and King,
    In all things Thee to see,
    And what I do in anything
    To do it as for Thee.

A man that looks on glass,
    On it may stay his eye;
    Or if he pleaseth, through it pass,
    And then the heav'n espy.

All may of Thee partake:
    Nothing can be so mean,
    Which with his tincture—"for Thy sake"—
    Will not grow bright and clean.

A servant with this clause
    Makes drudgery divine:
    Who sweeps a room as for Thy laws,
    Makes that and th' action fine.

This is the famous stone
    That turneth all to gold;
    For that which God doth touch and own
    Cannot for less be told.

Though I have to admit I do not understand the last verse - 'cannot for less be told'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm absolutely beyond all doubt a strong atheist, but when I was a schoolgirl I was a student of church musicians of international repute, and was recruited into the Westminster Choir College in Princeton, a training university for church choir conductors. There, now you know something about me hardly anyone else in the world does... I'm not completely sure I ever told my husband, as a matter of fact, not because I'm ashamed of it, but because it was thirty years ago and he's not very musical.

The most perfect of all choral works is the Cantique De Jean Racine of Gabriel Faure. John Rutter conducts this a little slower than I would, but he really understands the piece. The other Cambridge recording, conducted by Paarvo Järvi, suffers from being rushed, but really brings out the delicate dance-like sway of the orchestral accompaniment. Ironically the lyrics sort of call out atheists (as people "forgetful of Thy laws"), lol.

Here are both for you to compare, with lyrics below:

Verbe égal au Très-Haut, notre unique espérance,
    Jour éternel de la terre et des cieux;
    De la paisible nuit nous rompons le silence:
    Divin Sauveur, jette sur nous les yeux!

Répands sur nous le feu de ta grâce puissante;
    Que tout l'enfer fuie au son de ta voix;
    Dissipe le sommeil d'une âme languissante
    Qui la conduit à l'oubli de tes lois!

Ô Christ! Sois favorable à ce peuple fidèle
    Pour te bénir maintenant rassemblé.
    Reçois les chants qu'il offre à ta gloire immortelle,
    Et de tes dons qu'il retourne comblé!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Giacomo McGubbin

Must appreciated Speedwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

looksee wrote: »
    This is the famous stone
    That turneth all to gold;
    For that which God doth touch and own
    Cannot for less be told.

Though I have to admit I do not understand the last verse - 'cannot for less be told'?

Finally dawned on me that I knew the answer to this. It's because there's an old meaning of "to tell" that means "to count". I think it's genius really, you also "tell" the beads of a rosary like a bank "teller" or cashier with an abacus calculates, so the verse relates gold, ownership, touching (like touching the beads), valuation ("cannot for less"), and telling (counting, but also evokes "talk about" as in evangelism). The whole poem is full of such ingenious comparisons and references that require a bit of knowledge of alchemical and economic theory :)

The verse thus means, essentially, this:

1. The Philosopher's Stone (the "Elixir" of ancient alchemy) of Christianity, i.e. the mantra "For Thy sake", turns the profane into the sacred by heavenly "transmutation"... in fact some believe this is the real meaning of alchemy, and the chemical substances and processes sought after by people trying to turn literal lead into literal gold are really code for esoteric spiritual concepts involving the transmutation of spiritual "lead" to spiritual "gold" in a person's spirit (as a reader of Paracelsus I know it's more sophisticated and complex and not entirely without proposed practical application, but that will do for a first approximation). Approaching everything in the atmosphere of "all for God" lifts everything you are, do, and encounter into the realm of the Divine, giving it a high value above the merely mundane.

2. Only in the currency of the resulting transmuted "gold" (reality seen through the lens of "for God's sake" and conscientious prayer) can things pertaining to the Divine be properly valuated ("told"), and only in this currency can things of the Divine be legitimately "paid for" and obtained.

Look over the rest of the poem in this light and see if you don't agree with my reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Please indulge me ...in memory of my gorgeous brother in law and friend!

The Orthodox tradition have some very beautiful music devoted to Our Lady

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

^^
    The first part reminds me a little bit of this:

• Advertisement

Hymn to St. Joseph

Kari Jobe - Be Still My Soul

More from Franciscan Friars of the Renewal

O Come, Emmanuel

The Oldest hymn to Mary

The hymn, “Beneath Thy Protection” in English, has been found on a papyrus dating back to 250 AD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Hillsong, Awesome God

Steinberg Passion Week

One of the last Orthodox religious work written for public hearing before the Soviet regime's wave of attacks on the Orthodox Church.

• Advertisement

Augustine/Too Late Have I Loved You

Advertisement