Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solar electric fence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

This place has 250 watt pv panels starting at £135, you would have to use them to charge 24 v batteries eg two 12 volt ones in series.

With enough batteries for a decent A/h and a charge controller you could run a powerfull 24 volt pump

http://www.buypvdirect.co.uk/PV_Panels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

satstheway wrote: »
    You can get a 12v to 9 v dropper of eBay from china its a small device not expensive. I used one of them for a fence and its going well. Local lad fixes fencers and says you could "probably" get away with the 9v on a 12v battery.
    As for closing a 12v lead acid car battery in a totally sealed container might not be a good idea. Gas and all that!

Gas is only produced under heavy charge. Trickle charger s won't release that much gas. Or you could drill holes low down the container sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭satstheway

''''BOOM'''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

satstheway wrote: »
    ''''BOOM'''

sure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

bbam wrote: »
    Gas is only produced under heavy charge. Trickle charger s won't release that much gas. Or you could drill holes low down the container sides.

It would need venting at the top to let the hydrogen out :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

ive 5 battery electric fences and im robbed buying batteries for them .. think solar is the way to go!!

think redz one is a great job but would there be a similar bang off of that McGrath electric one at £109 to a 9v battery fence with an ailing battery!!?

would love 3 or 4 of redz ones and chuck the regular battery fencers but need to watch funds at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bodacious wrote: »
    ive 5 battery electric fences and im robbed buying batteries for them .. think solar is the way to go!!

think redz one is a great job but would there be a similar bang off of that McGrath electric one at £109 to a 9v battery fence with an ailing battery!!?

would love 3 or 4 of redz ones and chuck the regular battery fencers but need to watch funds at the moment

They are a lot of money the first day but you would probably save in the long run when your bot buying batteries and you will have more of a bang too. Hoping to get a second one through the burren life this year, get 50% of the price back if I put it in my plan. Have no experience of any other makes or crowds to deal with bodacious but there might be better value out there.

They are a lot of money the first day but you would probably save in the long run when your bot buying batteries and you will have more of a bang too. Hoping to get a second one through the burren life this year, get 50% of the price back if I put it in my plan. Have no experience of any other makes or crowds to deal with bodacious but there might be better value out there.

you dead right.. I buy the 130 amp battery and they E24 a pop, I just find them better than the 90amp ones they doing now, and if fence is shorted out or something happens while im at work, like an animal breaks the twine and its touching ground for 8 hours its a goner... one fence there had a new battery 8 weeks ago and its dead, something not right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

you dead right.. I buy the 130 amp battery and they E24 a pop, I just find them better than the 90amp ones they doing now, and if fence is shorted out or something happens while im at work, like an animal breaks the twine and its touching ground for 8 hours its a goner... one fence there had a new battery 8 weeks ago and its dead, something not right
    I know, have 5 battery fences and there is always something wrong with one of them. I haven't laid a hand on the solar fence since the day it came and the fence is still ticking away. A neighbour had done more pricing around than me about them. I'll give him a quizzing the next day I'm talking to him.

I know, have 5 battery fences and there is always something wrong with one of them. I haven't laid a hand on the solar fence since the day it came and the fence is still ticking away. A neighbour had done more pricing around than me about them. I'll give him a quizzing the next day I'm talking to him.

OP what did you go for in the end?

I just bought the McGraths one in thread above.. bought the digital fence tester too (xmas stocking filler!!) and three more of those aerial shaped connectors they better than the flimsy red clips imo

• Advertisement

this is the one I bought

http://mcgrathsupplies.co.uk/epages/eshop567656.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop567656/Products/0031

Great job.. serious snap off of it.. I bought the digital voltage tester and its kicking out 9.1v all the time.. beats battery all day long

130amp battery costing E24 and should it earth on something its gone.. if solar fence earths or whatever.. turn it off and 2 days in sun she full belt again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

this is the one I bought

http://mcgrathsupplies.co.uk/epages/eshop567656.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop567656/Products/0031

Great job.. serious snap off of it.. I bought the digital voltage tester and its kicking out 9.1v all the time.. beats battery all day long

130amp battery costing E24 and should it earth on something its gone.. if solar fence earths or whatever.. turn it off and 2 days in sun she full belt again
    I bought it as well last year, does fine for me on a couple of horses,not sure about famers if it would be strong enough,but a great saving on batteries and easy to move around.
    The terminals are very brittle though.

Advertisement