Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminator Genisys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Looks awful. Whatever about the mad plot, casting Arnie again and getting the one off Game of Thrones, it just highlights what is wrong with modern action movies. Somewhere along the way, that somewhere being when CGI gave film makers limitless options, people decided to focus everything on visuals. The bigger, the louder and the more detached from reality the better. Everything these days has to be artic trucks flipping over, bridges collapsing, people hanging off bridges while they collapse.... and on and on. Yes, its an action movie. Have some action. But why not also focus on having a solid well written script that actually underpins everything else, the same way T1 & 2 did. This might have that, but I highly highly doubt it will be anything more than forgettable summer blockbuster fluff. /rant

*oh and lifting well known references, set-pieces and dialogue from the originals? GTFO!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I've finally got around to watching the trailer. It's...I don't know about others but I'm confused as to the timelines. How can the future exist that we see if the past it is coming from is different ?

I'll stop as I have given myself a headache trying to work out the terminator timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭fluke

I was thinking last night, given how devastating something such as judgement day would be, why not create a movie that focuses on survivors of then, or rather ordinary people becoming fighters/ survivors.

I really can't get over how narrow-minded Hollywood execs are. Yes I know cash-grab and all that. Surely there's room to make a movie that focuses on people other than the Connors from Tuam.

It's about war not phrases that have become meaningless - come with me if you want to be back

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Looking forward to it, having Emilia Clarke in it helps :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

It looks awful. And there seems to be yet another action scene set on the Golden Gate bridge. That place needs to be off limits to action scenes for a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

My guess would be that the future war won't happen until James Cameron gets the rights back...although this is a trilogy so who knows what they'll do for the second and third movies

Dayum wrote: »
    This movie looks like a cash grab...

A guy jumping out of a chopper and skydiving down only to take out another chopper with his face.....I mean, is this a parody?

It's gonna be buried next year with all the quality movies releasing...

Like?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's rare that I am disappointed by just a trailer, but that has turned me off even bothering going to the cinema to see it. I saw Terminator 2 in the cinema last month and was looking forward to this given how bad the last movies were. But this looks truly and utterly awful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

My guess would be that the future war won't happen until James Cameron gets the rights back...although this is a trilogy so who knows what they'll do for the second and third movies

Like?

Cameron said if he wanted to do anything with it, it would be entire reimagining. Likely, He'll get the rights back and sit on them until he dies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Sonic Death Monkey

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I've finally got around to watching the trailer. It's...I don't know about others but I'm confused as to the timelines. How can the future exist that we see if the past it is coming from is different ?

I'll stop as I have given myself a headache trying to work out the terminator timeline.

Eh..parallel universes...yeah. That'll do. :D

Terminators attack the rebels as they're sending Reese back, messing up how the machine says interacts with the space-time continuum.

I wouldn't put it past them.

Adamantium wrote: »
    Cameron said if he wanted to do anything with it, it would be entire reimagining. Likely, He'll get the rights back and sit on them until he dies

That is depressing lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,940 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

That is depressing lol

No, it's not. Everything post T2 has been dire.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Moto-terminators!!!!!

Still gives me shudders....

the worst thing about the moto terminators was that they had a usb port, and with the right hardware you could tame them and ride them, like horses in the wild.

No, it's not. Everything post T2 has been dire.

Yes, but I'm hoping Cameron would make something to make up for them and finish the franchise in a way that everyone could just disregard the other ones after t2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It looks awful. And there seems to be yet another action scene set on the Golden Gate bridge. That place needs to be off limits to action scenes for a decade.

You'd swear they built that bridge just to destroy it (Digitally) for the movies!

• Dayum wrote: »
    This movie looks like a cash grab...

A guy jumping out of a chopper and skydiving down only to take out another chopper with his face.....I mean, is this a parody?

It's gonna be buried next year with all the quality movies releasing...

He's made of Metal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭fluke

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's made of Metal

Yeah but it looks stupid. 'I'll be back, after my face is in bits…but how will I be back??? me in ground, you in choppa…. GET TO DA CHOPPA!'

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's made of Metal

Metal or not, he'd be pretty mangled from falling into propellers. Then again, there could be a group of them sent back. I could have sworn he has different coloured hair (grayer) that when he first appears in the trailer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

humanji wrote: »
    Metal or not, he'd be pretty mangled from falling into propellers. Then again, there could be a group of them sent back. I could have sworn he has different coloured hair (grayer) that when he first appears in the trailer.

Yes I noticed that, his hair at the start of the trailer when he uttered the phase I've Been Expecting You wasn't as grey as his hair in helicopter scene.

Are we set to see an aging Terminator? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Loughc wrote: »
    Yes I noticed that, his hair at the start of the trailer when he uttered the phase I've Been Expecting You wasn't as grey as his hair in helicopter scene.

Are we set to see an aging Terminator? :confused:

And rapidly aging too, since the other actors don't change. Unless they go to the future. Or if he returns again from the future. Or if his hair is from the future.

Bloody time travel films, always give me a headache!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

It'll be a laugh.

People need to lighten up about a movie that involves time travelling robots FFS.

• Advertisement

Gintonious wrote: »
    It'll be a laugh.

People need to lighten up about a movie that involves time travelling robots FFS.

I think this was the first Youtube video I ever watched. This should be James Cameron's reimagining when he gets the rights back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gintonious wrote: »
    It'll be a laugh.

If it's a laugh then they royally ****ed it up.

There's plenty leave your brain at the door movies, Terminator doesn't have to be one of them, but sadly looks like it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Corholio wrote: »
    If it's a laugh then they royally ****ed it up.

There's plenty leave your brain at the door movies, Terminator doesn't have to be one of them, but sadly looks like it will.

Terminator has been leave your brain at home locked in a safe since the third one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

This doesn't look great by any means but you gotta laugh at some of the criticism its getting . The people who are complaining about how the liquid metal effect is a downgrade on what was achieved over 20 years ago are clearly letting their CGI fatigue and disappointment over the last 2 films effect their judgement. It looks the exact same . Same for the Millenium falcon scene in The trailer for Force awakens, I personally think it looks fine but even if it does look cgi no one will give a **** if that film turns out to be a return to form for the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Terminator has been leave your brain at home locked in a safe since the third one.

And we all loved the third one.

The reason we're still all talking about new Terminator films, and not a new Commando, Raw Deal, Red Sonja, Red Heat, Eraser, 6th Day, Collateral Damage, End of Days, etc.. is that Terminator actually had a bit of substance to it. It wasn't just a leave-your-brain-at-home "Arnie film".

Wasn't.

Goodshape wrote: »
    And we all loved the third one.

I hated the third one.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I hated the third one.

I think it was meant to be sarcasm by Goodshape.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭j.s. pill II

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Reese looks very buff and well fed for surviving on mice and scraps!!

Too right

I'll not be bothering with this one

Adamantium wrote: »
    I think it was meant to be sarcasm by Goodshape.

Doh!

I have friends who genuinely do like it.

But they're obviously wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Third one was woeful.

Advertisement