Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to setup home Network

Options
  • 28-06-2013 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Hi Guy's,

I know that this has been discussed extensivley, but I was wondering if i could have your expert opinions on the following?

I am currently in the process of building an single story extension to the back of the house, I was considering the following with regards to future proofing house.

Running CAT5e or CAT6 cable that will connect to a 16 port CISCO switch.

I am currently using network plugs, but because I am getting the extension built, I was going to lay the cables and just leave them there incase I ever needed/wanted to use them.

Is there a product available, where you can have a plug and RJ45 in the same case?

equipment;
    cisco switch
    Netgear NGN1000 Router/modem
    305m of CAT5 cable (not yet bought) Any suggestions on best place buy?

If you were doing this what way would you suggest doing it?

Thanks in advance
    BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Here is a basic layout of the bottom of the house after extension is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Have you considered using Homeplugs instead of running wires? These offer a greater degree of flexibility and avoid the hassle of wiring. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Most people avoid having electric and network cables running alongside each other, electrics can produce all sort of interference in the network cables (depends a lot on what is on the end of the electric cable I suppose). STP or FTP cables would suffer less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

degsie wrote: »
    Have you considered using Homeplugs instead of running wires? These offer a greater degree of flexibility and avoid the hassle of wiring. Just a thought.
    Don't mention powerline adaptors too loudly, you might attract fire.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056974414

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

excollier wrote: »
    Don't mention powerline adaptors too loudly, you might attract fire.....
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056974414

I'm quaking in my boots....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

degsie wrote: »
    I'm quaking in my boots....
    :D

Ok Guy's,

Here is what I am working with.

Netgear DGN1000
    TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Desktop Switch
    Synology DS213+ NAS
    Hoping to get a patch panel, don't really want to. Instead, Could I just have all the CAT6 cable from the Rj45 points around the house running to my central point into the switch.

How would this all connect, would I be right in saying;

DSL connects to Router, Connect router to switch with cat6 cable, Connect NAS to switch port, Connect all cat6 cable from RJ45 ports around house to switch (Central Point).

Do you have an suggestions on which way this should be setup?

attched is what i think should happen!!
    Oh and thanks again for al the replies

BobbyT28

Any advise Guy's?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Mockba

The recommended distance between Cat5 cable and electrical cable is 200MM and for FTP and power cable is 50mm.

Using the adaptors is fine but having the cable run is the best case. If you are getting the extension built you could run 2 conduits and run the cable after. Once they are in 2 different conduits it would be fine.

You will need to run a network point beside the eircom dsl also to bring it back to the switch.
    Run 2 points to each location.

I dont think think you should put a socket in a bathroom/ toilet.

Advertisement