Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routers

Options
  • 18-06-2013 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi. Got a new router in today eircom 50mg my home plugs don't seem to work off it.it was fine with my 8meg router. Anybody else have this problem?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If it's a new eircom e-fibre router, make sure your home plug is connected to the LAN ports and not the WAN port.

One of the ethernet ports will be a different colour to the rest, do not use that one.

Basically, that's only used if you've actual fibre-to-home installed where the eircom router plugs into another device that connects directly to a fibre. This is not used in 99% of installations other than a couple of test areas where fibre-to-home was used.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mr Guinness.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    If it's a new eircom e-fibre router, make sure your home plug is connected to the LAN ports and not the WAN port.

One of the ethernet ports will be a different colour to the rest, do not use that one.

Basically, that's only used if you've actual fibre-to-home installed where the eircom router plugs into another device that connects directly to a fibre. This is not used in 99% of installations other than a couple of test areas where fibre-to-home was used.

No that's not the issue it was plugged into the correct port.it was working fine with my old 8mg can't figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Mr Guinness.

My openbox will not connect to my wifi.cccam says of line.anybody know how to get it back on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

My openbox will not connect to my wifi.cccam says of line.anybody know how to get it back on line.

whoops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

Now might be a good time to get rid of the Homeplugs. They are nasty things that cause interference to your neighbours. A CAT5 cabled solution is much better. Or else consider this

www.ethernetovercoax.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

winston_1 wrote: »
    Now might be a good time to get rid of the Homeplugs. They are nasty things that cause interference to your neighbours. A CAT5 cabled solution is much better. Or else consider this

At the price of those Ethernet over coax boxes, I'll be causing interference to the neighbours with my homeplugs for a long time to come!!

Avns1s wrote: »
    At the price of those Ethernet over coax boxes, I'll be causing interference to the neighbours with my homeplugs for a long time to come!!

That is a very selfish, I'm all right Jack attitude. If someone complains you'll be forced to remove them anyway. Why not use the CAT 5 solution, cheap enough, and works better than PLT anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

It's great to live out in the sticks. I have homeplugs all over the house and out in the garage - no-one to complain.
    Who can afford to start ripping holes & tracks into walls to install cat 5 cabling when homeplugs are available - seriously.
    Great idea for a new build though but who builds these days?
    No broadband on the phone lines out here though.......

excollier wrote: »
    It's great to live out in the sticks. I have homeplugs all over the house and out in the garage - no-one to complain.
    Who can afford to start ripping holes & tracks into walls to install cat 5 cabling when homeplugs are available - seriously.
    Great idea for a new build though but who builds these days?
    No broadband on the phone lines out here though.......

The interference can go to 500 metres, probably more out in the sticks with Homeplugs all over the house.

No need to rip holes and tracks into the walls, just neat wiring on the skirting boards. CAT5 is neater and easier than satellite or aerial cables and no one has problems installing those.

Read this from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195

And with my router upstairs, how do I get downstairs with Cat 5 cable? Drill a hole through my floor (which has underfloor heating) and then tack cables to walls and along skirting boards? That's not going to happen for so many reasons.
    I hear no interference with VHF (i.e. FM radio, I am an avid radio listener) while my plugs are active, and as for DAB, well that's simply non existent here (nor likely to be). No radio hams in the neighbourhood, so no problems created. No problem exists here, though I can see why it might be an urban problem.
    For a country dweller like me, it's an absolute no-brainer.

• Advertisement

Don't know the layout of your house of course but I assume your phone line enters downstairs (most do). If so how did you get it upstairs to your router? CAT 5 can be run outside down the wall and then back in again as satellite and phone cables often are.

Radio hams don't come into this argument by the way as ham frequencies are notched out by home plug manufacturers. This is of course an admission of guilt that interference is caused.

There is at least one dealer who is prepared to put morals before profit and refuses to sell them:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page22.htm#PLT

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

If someone complains you'll be forced to remove them anyway.

How so?

Don't know the layout of your house of course but I assume your phone line enters downstairs (most do). If so how did you get it upstairs to your router? CAT 5 can be run outside down the wall and then back in again as satellite and phone cables often are.

Radio hams don't come into this argument by the way as ham frequencies are notched out by home plug manufacturers. This is of course an admission of guilt that interference is caused.

There is at least one dealer who is prepared to put morals before profit and refuses to sell them:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page22.htm#PLT

That's ok. Guilty as charged (of what exactly?)

How so?

Not absolutely sure how it works in Ireland but I assume it is similar to the UK. If there is a complaint of interference it will be investigated and if your homeplugs are responsible you will be told to stop using them. Several hundred pairs have been removed in the UK for this very reason.

Guilty as charged (of what exactly?)

Causing interference.

Causing interference.
    What interference? There is none. Even if there were, there is no one close enough to be affected.

What interference? There is none. Even if there were, there is no one close enough to be affected.

Mains wiring is unbalanced, unterminated, and not designed for RF. ALL homeplugs will cause interference when connected as instructed. You cannot change the laws of physics.

Just because you don't use equipment that is affected (SW radio perhaps) does not mean it is not there. Whether there is any one close enough to be affected (500 plus metres) I don't know.

Well, if no-one is using affected equipment nearby, then no harm is done. This can only, at worst, be an urban problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Apart from the odd "Doomsday Preper", I don't think I'll be doing anybody much harm...http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2008/oct/20/1

Advertisement