Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Comparing battery capacity

• 27-06-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭ who is this

I'm in the market for a tablet, and I'm by no means a tech noob, there is one aspect of a tablet I'm not quite certain how to judge.

Can someone tell me, which is more important for battery life: the battery's mAh capacity or Wh capacity?

I know most manufacturers give mAh, but that could just be because it suits them to.

The tablet I want to get is the Toshiba Excite Pro, but Toshiba says the mAh is only around 4500 (ridiculously small compared to other tablets), but that it has a capacity of 33 Wh (which compares favourably with others, like the 22.2 Xperia Z).

I know how to convert between the two, and I also know tablets usually seem to have a voltage of 3.7, but Toshiba insist this one has a voltage of over 7, and that's why the mAh capacity is so low. But Toshiba Germany says it has a two-cell battery, so it's possible someone got mixed up, and it actually does have a 3.7 V battery (meaning the mAh capacity is around 9000mAh, and then it compares favourably on all fronts).

Long story short, I never trust manufacturer claims of "use for up to X hours", so I prefer to just know how good the battery itself is. But now I don't know how to compare. Should I realistically be looking for a higher Wh, or mAh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 looking_around

There's a site called phone arena that gives independant reviews on tablets (and other tech). Also includes peoples reviews. I find their battery life figures to be honest. And about right( compared to what the manufacturers say.)

I couldn't comment on the battery specs though, and it also depends on the kind of hardware/screen in the tablet for how long the battery will actually last for.

Advertisement