Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who do you think was the best James Bond?

• 26-06-2013 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

Who was your favorite James Bond actor?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Who do you think was the best James Bond? 230 votes

Sean Connery
    0% 0 votes
    Roger Moore
    30% 71 votes
    Timothy Dalton
    13% 30 votes
    Pierce Brosnan
    18% 42 votes
    Daniel Craig
    20% 46 votes
    Other
    17% 41 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah couldn't you make George Lazenby an option?

/harsh!

I'm not sure we've yet found the perfect Bond, they have all had strengths and weaknesses, but then so have the films. I tend to find the better the film, the better the Bond!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah couldn't you make George Lazenby an option?

/harsh!...

I only included those that were in more than one bond film, others go into the 'other' category.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Bob Holness
    /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bob Holness
    /thread

See your Holness and raise you a Barry Nelson

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Roger Moore. He had that English baxtard factor that a real Bond should have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Worztron wrote: »
    I only included those that were in more than one bond film, others go into the 'other' category.

But Lazenby was the only other Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

But Lazenby was the only other Bond.

David Niven??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Correction: the only other real Bond.

David Niven and I are distantly related. Im sure he tells everyone when ever my name comes up ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Correction: the only other real Bond.

No true Scotsman!

Speaking of Scotsmen - Connery was the best Bond... but Daniel Craig is running him close and with a few more films under his belt, Craig may end up being the best Bond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Pity that we didn't get to see more from Timothy Dalton. I love those 2 films for completely different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dalton for me, had the cold hearted bastard thing down long before Craig, it's a pity he didn't get a longer run with the series, he really found his feet in Licence To Kill (probably the most underrated Bond too and one of the only ones aimed at an adult audience)

krudler wrote: »
    Dalton for me, had the cold hearted bastard thing down long before Craig, it's a pity he didn't get a longer run with the series, he really found his feet in Licence To Kill (probably the most underrated Bond too and one of the only ones aimed at an adult audience)

I agree with this completely, it's unusual for his name to even come up.
    Dalton was the closest (imho) to the book character.

I think roger moore is too much of a fop, Connery is pretty good, owned the part. But, like in all his roles, he's more Connery than bond.

Craig is interesting in the physical role, but I think Dalton nails the ruthless killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

They should have let Tarantino do Bond with Pierce Brosnan, then I might actually have liked a Bond film.

Yeah, Craig nails the physical aspect. This was my one problem with Dalton. He was very unconvincing in the fight scenes. Otherwise I'd agree that he was the best all-round Bond.

The downside to Craig's physicality is that he's sticks out, especially in Skyfall. There's no way anyone would see him coming and not think "oh sh!t". But maybe that's the point with his version of Bond: he's a "blunt instrument" with none of the elegance of previous incarnations.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Dalton.

Actually re: the physicality, I think I'd put Lazenby on top. He seemed like someone with serious training but (unlike Craig) didn't look like he spent all day in the gym. Connery was big and intimidating but he fought like a bear.

Actually re: the physicality, I think I'd put Lazenby on top. He seemed like someone with serious training but (unlike Craig) didn't look like he spent all day in the gym. Connery was big and intimidating but he fought like a bear.

Actually by physicality I was thinking more the tenacious chase. I think bond as a fighter would be more clinical and dirty.

Craig is more of a bulk of muscle.

I think the fight scenes in all movies don't reflect what bond (or anyone) would fight like they merely reflect the style of fight at the time the movie was out.

We like our krav maga in movies now, back in the 60's they liked haymakers and throwing people through doorways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I found it hard to choose. Every actor had their strengths in the roles. I found it very hard to choose between Connery, Dalton, Brosnan or Craig (I know, I know!). In the end, I went for Connery. He was the original and he just played the role so well.

Nobody else could look so at home in a tuxedo and still beat the head off bad guys. There was also that wonderful 1960's political incorrectness in the films (smoking, proper fist fights, flaking women about the place, "man talk", etc.) that made it just so good.

Add to the fact that Connery also gave us the first "Bond. James Bond", the debut of the Aston Martin DB5, and some of the best films in the series (Goldfinger, Dr. No, Thunderball).

He just had it down so well. I did love Dalton's more gritty, realistic portrayal and he should have been given a longer run at it. Brosnan was excellent as Bond too (especially in Goldeneye). Craig is also giving Dalton's interpretation another run out in the gritty, blunt-instrument style.

But Connery is still the best for me. I just love his interpretation and he is still cooler now that he's 81 than most other people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

DazMarz wrote: »
    But Connery is still the best for me. I just love his interpretation and he is still cooler now that he's 81 than most other people!

O/T he apparently turned down (and regrets) some juicy roles in the past roles like Gandalf and Morpheus in The Matrix. Matrix could have been Connery and Will Smith, which sounds like a very different movie.

• Advertisement

Radiosonde wrote: »
    O/T he apparently turned down (and regrets) some juicy roles in the past roles like Gandalf and Morpheus in The Matrix. Matrix could have been Connery and Will Smith, which sounds like a very different movie.

he turned down gandalf because he didnt understand half of the script. Tbh I think we got lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

he turned down gandalf because he didnt understand half of the script. Tbh I think we got lucky

"You..shall not...PASH!"

krudler wrote: »
    "You..shall not...PASH!"

haha

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think Conery and Craig are the only ones that could really pull off the bond character. They looked hard and you would believe they could be Bond for different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Radiosonde wrote: »

Could see him as Gandalf, but really could not see him in the role of Morpheus. It would have been very interesting, but I'd find it hard to see him doing the hardcore physical fighting stuff that Morpheus did in the films.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,805 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Craig for me, he wins it with the attitude he brings to the character whilst still retaining the charm and wit of the Connery/Moore roles...

Overall I just don't see a weakness in his portrail of the character

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

newmug wrote: »

Moore wasn't sinister or dark enough as it was conveyed by Fleming. Timothy Dalton for me. Always like his back-to-back films - perhaps too short lived.

Anyway, everyone has a favourite for whatever reason. I liked Moore, but a bit schmaltzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

newmug wrote: »
    Funnily enough the literary character wasn't English. British surely, but his father was Scottish and his mother Swiss. He also spent much of his early life on the continent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

For me it's always been Dalton. I've never bought that an assassin needs to be a big guy, realistically someone who can blend in with a crowd whilst carrying a concealled sniper rifle would be more useful than someone as muscle-bound as Craig.

I'll also love Dalton's first film for being the first time we saw Bond sent purely and simply to kill someone. Fair enough, he backed out of taking the shot but it was nice to see a "double O" being sent to do what they were licensed to.

Advertisement