Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat finance/ history check

Options
  • 25-06-2013 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying a boat second hand- I was wondering is there any boat equivalent of cartell.ie? Or a website where I can check the boat history details etc?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi miss_daisy and welcome, as far as I know most boats are sold as seen "once you pay cash you own it" and if you are buying a boat at the higher end of the market it's up to you to get an assessor to do you up a report detailing the seaworthiness of the boat,it can cost a bit but it can also save you a fortune. If it a smaller boat your buying bring someone that knows boats and engines along with you when you go to look at it or buy from a main dealer they might even offer you a warranty on it.
    Most of the boats on the inland waterways are registered with http://www.waterwaysireland.org/ but that would only be basic info as to the type of boat and the owner name.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mtdelany

Most people who own boats keep they for years if not decades. Word of mouth is very important, for all clubs regardless of size. People should be able to tell you quickly if it has been in constant use or not, or if it has sunk. Ask the seller about the boats history, chances are he is not a used car salesman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

miss_daisy wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying a boat second hand- I was wondering is there any boat equivalent of cartell.ie? Or a website where I can check the boat history details etc?
    Thanks in advance

There is nothing like Cartell for boats as far as I'm aware! The only records would be with Waterways Ireland. When a boat is bought/sold you are obliged to update the Inspector of the Navigation with details of the new owners etc, but I would imagine this isn't done in a lot of cases! Speaking from experience, I know my dad was contacted about a boat he owned over 10 years ago, it was sunk in Dromineer and WI were trying to pass on a salvage fee to him! I know the boat definitely had 3 and possibly a 4th owner since we had it!!

With regard to the boats history....what would you be hoping to find out? Your never going to know the number of previous owners, you should have a good idea (or ask us here) if it was an ex hire boat going by what type of boat it is.....
    A good survey and a long chat with the current owner and you should be able to gauge fairly well what your buying!

Advertisement