Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlone ¾ Marathon, Sunday 6th Oct 2013 at 11am

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I think a lot of folk went in with the plan of a progression run.
    There was a biggish group of us together until halfway and then it splintered quite quickly with 7/8 lads forging ahead of our pace.
    The main thing is to have a plan and as the scuba boys say ;

plan the dive, dive the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

I'll second that digger2d2,

Was nearly flattened by some guy at Athlone HM, who just suddenly veered across in front of me at a good clip and just kept going, not even able to hear me swearing at him. It's so easy to trip somebody and ruin their day, let alone the chance of actually causing them a serious injury.

Every race I've been to has a no headphone rule but I've never seen it enforced in any way or even mentioned in the race briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Bugsy2000 wrote: »
    I was pacing the 4hr group with Breffni Blue & I lost track of the amount of times I turned to have a chat with the group of runners around us only to find everyone wearing headphones & in their own little world. I thought I might be able to get a bit of banter going but it wasn't until after the first aid station when it thinned out a bit that we could get a bit of chat going.

We saw a big split in our group around the halfway point. One group kicked on strongly, one group dropped off the pace & we were left with a small group around us. It all just seemed to happed all of a sudden & it was strange to see to the group break up in all directions. We kept this small group with us until the last hill when we lost another one or two (If I hadn't been expecting it I would have struggled myself). We finished with a small group but there were plenty gone ahead.

_

Thanks for the replies Baz, there's nothing that was wrong on Sunday that couldn't be sorted easily in the future.

I had intended going with the 4 hour pacer group but I think you started farther back than where I was standing at the beginning so I never saw you. I ended up running a chip time of 3:07 something so I wasn't too far off myself. Shame really, I would have liked a bit of banter and I never run with headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭slingerz

cant agree really lads. dont see a problem with headphones really perhaps in crowds when running along it may impair a persons awareness but that can be done if they're not paying attention and the only satisfaction you'll get is them hearing you give out to them.

its almost like saying if a person is deaf they shouldnt be running in the races either

A deaf person can't help being deaf though!

I always run with headphones when training, but never in a race, I just find it rude. And I'm not the only one.

• Advertisement

pointer28 wrote: »
    A deaf person can't help being deaf though!

I always run with headphones when training, but never in a race, I just find it rude. And I'm not the only one.

Its an impaired sense so its comparable.

If you think its rude fair enough but for me i think its just a case of getting on with your race and if people want headphones then off with them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

slingerz wrote: »
    Its an impaired sense so its comparable.

If you think its rude fair enough but for me i think its just a case of getting on with your race and if people want headphones then off with them

So what happens when the ambulance needs to get by or steward need to issue instructions and you cant hear them, slow down the ambulance and could cost a life?

Still rude??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

cant agree really lads. dont see a problem with headphones really perhaps in crowds when running along it may impair a persons awareness but that can be done if they're not paying attention and the only satisfaction you'll get is them hearing you give out to them.

its almost like saying if a person is deaf they shouldnt be running in the races either

I Imagine Deaf people generally will have learned to deal with theirdisabilty over the course of their life and will have learned to use their other senses (sight) to be aware of their surrondings.

My experience with people wearing headphones in races is that they go into their own world and become completely unaware of their surroundings.
    Just a few weeks ago I had to drag a girl out of the path of an ambulance during the Dublin half. The ambulance was coming from behind and she couldn't hear it (or the shouts of the stewards). I am sure you have heard that the runner the ambulance was trying to get to since died...
    I'd bet my bottom dollar that in the same circumstances a deaf runner would have seen that all the other runners were moving to the right of the course, spotted the stewards waving frantically at the runners to move over and had the wherewithal not to cause an obstruction to the ambulance...

So what happens when the ambulance needs to get by or steward need to issue instructions and you cant hear them, slow down the ambulance and could cost a life?

Still rude??????
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I Imagine Deaf people generally will have learned to deal with theirdisabilty over the course of their life and will have learned to use their other senses (sight) to be aware of their surrondings.

My experience with people wearing headphones in races is that they go into their own world and become completely unaware of their surroundings.
    Just a few weeks ago I had to drag a girl out of the path of an ambulance during the Dublin half. The ambulance was coming from behind and she couldn't hear it (or the shouts of the stewards). I am sure you have heard that the runner the ambulance was trying to get to since died...
    I'd bet my bottom dollar that in the same circumstances a deaf runner would have seen that all the other runners were moving to the right of the course, spotted the stewards waving frantically at the runners to move over and had the wherewithal not to cause an obstruction to the ambulance...

People are not blind and im sure even those with headphones in can still see much the same as everyone else.

i sincerely doubt that the girl you mentioned delayed the ambulance and its progress.

People are not blind and im sure even those with headphones in can still see much the same as everyone else.

i sincerely doubt that the girl you mentioned delayed the ambulance and its progress.

Did you not read what he had to do. Heard it from numerous sources at the race.
    You continue using the the head phones, but some day you cut across some one in the race and that person wont be too nice about it

• Advertisement

Did you not read what he had to do. Heard it from numerous sources at the race.
    You continue using the the head phones, but some day you cut across some one in the race and that person wont be too nice about it

oh wow. empty internet message board threats. epic

oh wow. empty internet message board threats. epic

Not a threat for god sake, just saying some day you cross someone you shouldnt.
    You dont respect other runners even though situations have been pointed out to you.

OK, serious question for those that run with headphones.

Does it not take away from the whole point of running a race with a bunch of like minded people?

My favourite part of racing is that it's a change from the loneliness of training on my own, the best part of all my races is having a chat and meeting new people, the company alone makes the race seem shorter. I honestly think headphone wearers are missing out on the best part.

Another question for any triathletes out there. What are the rules and consequences (if any) re wearing headphones?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pointer28 wrote: »
    Another question for any triathletes out there. What are the rules and consequences (if any) re wearing headphones?

Straight DQ

Very dangerous on bikes especially since many roads aren't fully closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Straight DQ

Very dangerous on bikes especially since many roads aren't fully closed.
    and dey dont usually work great after the swim...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Grand so :rolleyes: Even though you weren't there you obviously know best.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bazman

Have added a poll to the thread. Thank for your feedback

Advertisement