Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I wrong to expect a discount?

Options
  • 25-06-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭pocketse

I saw a couch on the DFS website which retailed for €1299 and then another €80 on top of that for delivery. Went out to the shop to have a look at it and try a little haggling and also to purchase it. The item was not on sale and when i'm paying the guts of €1400 on a piece of furniture I expect a little leeway on the price. Was chatting to a young guy on the shop floor who basically told me that there was no give on the price of the couch or the delivery. Having walked into the shop with money and fully intending to buy it i ended up walking out not buying it. I wasn't looking for a huge amount off but after talking to him i didn't particularly feel like giving him my money! He wasn't rude or unprofessional but i just felt if i'm dropping that amount of money on something i deserve a bit of a deal.

I realise i'm probably shooting myself in the foot. Has anyone ever haggled in DFS successfully?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you checked if http://www.dfs.ie/sofas/offers/ is of any use to you? I doubt they'd concede to any haggling whilst there's a sale on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Personally I feel that if you walk in somewhere and see something you like and somewhat accept the price, then yes, you are entitled to ask for a discount, but I do not think you deserve a bit of a deal. It is nice if you can arrange a bargain with the company but that is as far as it goes. Why should the company sell their product at a lower amount if they don't want to, or feel that they don't need to?

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Personally I do not see the point in haggling on a price whether that be in dfs or a charity shop. I do however admire companies who throw something extra into the deal to get you to spend your money in the shop by offering additional items or free delivery to a room of your choice.

to give an example my family bought a sofa and 2 armchairs in a small furniture shop for the asking price. the shop assistant had a nest of tables in the shop that we showed an interest in. when we went up to pay for the sofa and armchairs he said that he would throw in the nest of tables, deliver the sofa and armchairs to the house to a room of our choice and assemble said furniture and take away the packaging. We paid for our stuff and about a week later it turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Sounds like an excellent company to deal with, Lycan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

OP - of course you should ask for a discount, and, IMO, they should be giving you up to 10%. (Or free delivery, or cushions for the sofa...but they should be offering sth.)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/9621892/DFS-sitting-on-record-profits-despite-dip-in-sales.html
    The company, which sells sofas, reported sales of £625m for the year to July 28, down from £638m last year.

However, earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortisation rose 2.5pc to a record £82m as DFS benefited from improved margins and the opening of 13 new stores.

EBITDA is basically Gross Profit - £82m worth. So, could they take a small hit on their 30%+ margin - 'course they could!

I would ring the store, ask for the Manager, and tell him/her what happened, and that you'll be taking your business elsewhere. If they offer to fix the problem, then you have a choice to make....

How much is the sofa on the UK web-site? If you convert it to €, do the prices match? www.xe.com

You could use that argument also

Best of luck with it!

I have (several times) opened my conversation with a salesperson as follows:

"Hi - how are you? (Friendly tone and smile.) I'm interested in this product - but I'd need a discount, I couldn't pay that price....."

It usually works, and if it doesn't, I walk.

• Advertisement

Soundman wrote: »
    Sounds like an excellent company to deal with, Lycan.

it was a smaller furniture shop that has since closed down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

blindsider wrote: »
    I have (several times) opened my conversation with a salesperson as follows:

"Hi - how are you? (Friendly tone and smile.) I'm interested in this product - but I'd need a discount, I couldn't pay that price....."

It usually works, and if it doesn't, I walk.

I work in retail and I absolutely hate people who think they're entitled to a discount.

However, I'm more than happy to strike a deal with those who simply ask on the off chance they'll get a reduction. Being polite is key and any sort of self-importance will be met with scorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Considering that dfs have a "sale" every other week with ridiculous over inflated "after event" prices, I would insist on a large discount as this is the type of sales model they operate. Also check reviews of them in the uk - nit great.

As on another thread, I recommended Finline furniture at junction 15 of m7 (no connection to them) and several others seconded the recommendation. They make the furniture there. You choose everything. They are very well priced and you are supporting local jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

lycan238 wrote: »

Probably from giving out unnecessary discounts.

It's ridiculously tough in retail at the moment and most places have reduced their prices to as cheap as possible. Expecting a 10% discount is nonsense. If a shop can offer a discount they most likely have the product priced slightly higher to accommodate it. Always worth asking but if they say no they probably just can't afford to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭pocketse

Agree with most of the comments here. I didn't go in demanding anything and don't think i came off as self important. I was friendly, polite and tried to have a bit of craic with the salesman. My closing line was that id seen something in another shop that was cheeper but i much preferred what they were selling. If he could move a bit on the price i could do a deal there and then and i was a cash buyer. He said no, i asked if he could do anything on delivery and again he said no so i thanked him and left of the shop. I would have accepted paying full price if they threw something in. Will try Finline furniture tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I'd shop around rather than looking for a discount. They can't the stuff anyway as they need to show sales, or at least consistent pricing on items. There is no such thing as a "sale" they way it works is:

Item worth €500

Item 'sold' at €2500 - one or two people buy, perhaps no one but legally company are covered.

Item is put on 'sale' at €1250 Half price!

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SALE I'M SAVING €1250!!!!!!!! S**T BUY 10!!!!

When I worked in retail some customer wouldn't buy something unless it was marked down - you could literally mark down dog turds and they'd snap them up.

Savvy shoppers know a proper bargain and don't get hung up on discounts - that's not to say a bit of haggling isn't a bad idea but it's the final step, not the first or only step.

EDIT: Bit of craic goes a long way - read your sales person, they're reading you. If you're not hitting it off try another salesperson or another store.

pocketse wrote: »
    Agree with most of the comments here. I didn't go in demanding anything and don't think i came off as self important. I was friendly, polite and tried to have a bit of craic with the salesman. My closing line was that id seen something in another shop that was cheeper but i much preferred what they were selling. If he could move a bit on the price i could do a deal there and then and i was a cash buyer. He said no, i asked if he could do anything on delivery and again he said no so i thanked him and left of the shop. I would have accepted paying full price if they threw something in. Will try Finline furniture tomorrow and see what they can do for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

If you like the couch why not just buy it? Would you prefer to buy a couch you like slightly less just because they gave you a free lamp or something?

I don't really understand why people always need to feel that they are getting a deal. The majority of "deals" you see around aren't really deals. Companies change prices and lash a percentage off sticker on it and people are happy to pay normal price because they have been hoodwinked into thinking they are getting a bargain. It's insane carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭pocketse

Mr Whirly wrote: »
    If you like the couch why not just buy it? Would you prefer to buy a couch you like slightly less just because they gave you a free lamp or something?

I don't really understand why people always need to feel that they are getting a deal. The majority of "deals" you see around aren't really deals. Companies change prices and lash a percentage off sticker on it and people are happy to pay normal price because they have been hoodwinked into thinking they are getting a bargain. It's insane carry on.

I do see your point. I do like the couch and still may buy it. But i will look around some more. I had read up on the shop before i went out and have read about their "sales". I'm of the opinion that theres always a little wiggle room and after reading online about that company assumed there would be there. I made it abundantly clear to the salesman that i was a serious buyer and would buy there and then but yet he let me walk out of the shop without engaging with me at all. Again i know thats his choice, but i walked out and he potentially lost a sale.

Regarding the free lamp, if i wanted a lamp and really liked the lamp then yep, i'd be pretty pleased they threw it in. :)

Fair enough. In that case I'd ask to speak to his manager but chances are that he was instructed not to move on the price. The manager might do though. If he doesn't I'd accept that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Item worth €500

Item 'sold' at €2500 - one or two people buy, perhaps no one but legally company are covered.

Item is put on 'sale' at €1250 Half price!

That's very true. Legally a product has to be advertised at full price for 4 weeks of the year. So I've seen products that are advertised at HALF PRICE!!! for 48 weeks of the year.

Most furniture companies do a price fixing period, where they'll choose a quiet month to bump up the price of everything, just so they can reduce it 4 weeks later to a normal price and put a big SALE sign on to trick Joe Public that he's getting a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

just read this out of interest. we too went into buy a couch in dfs and we asked about discount or free delivery. the guy didn't entertain us at all. it put me off. I understand what you are all saying bout it but when we went into a family owened irish furnature shop and asked the same thing the sales lady gave us a discount and free delivery!

I presume that shop still made a profit!!! my point is this, it made us feel 'good' and we will return to that shop and we have also told many many people about our good experience in that shop and will direct people there in a similar conversation.

also our couch was way nicer and built for us....google complaints and dfs!!!!

my point is this, it made us feel 'good'

That's the point of it I suppose. You probably didn't get a better deal though.

That's the rub I suppose.

that's it! I am that shallow! point is we are going back this weekend to buy more items!

that's it! I am that shallow! point is we are going back this weekend to buy more items!

Fair enough. Someone from DFS should have a look at the way they're operating. I suppose most Irish shops have cottoned on to the fact that everyone wants a "bargain".

Fair enough. Someone from DFS should have a look at the way they're operating. I suppose most Irish shops have cottoned on to the fact that everyone wants a "bargain".

for sure, we all love a bargain and even if a shop or whatever creates a 'false' sense of getting a bargain such as increasing prices online and then giving FREE DELIVERY it makes you more likely to buy from them. even though I know about this I still fall for it! lol.

we are all more careful with our money nowadays and therefore we all shop around. if one retailer is treating you better, you will support them (ESPECIALLY if they are IRISH!)

P.S BUY IRISH:pac:

also editing to add I always buy at best price although sometimes I pay a little more to support irish

• Advertisement

we are all more careful with our money nowadays and therefore we all shop around. if one retailer is treating you better, you will support them (ESPECIALLY if they are IRISH!)

P.S BUY IRISH:pac:

Can't argue with that.

Probably from giving out unnecessary discounts.

Not sure if i said this already but this happened a few years back. Regarding the quote above from Mr Whirly we got a nest of tables worth €120 for free the rest ie the free delivery to a room of your choice, assembly and taking away the packaging was already accounted for in the price. The Sales Assistant only gave the nest of tables free and that was without us asking for them. We simply showed a really good interest in them. We were also buying the sofa regardless of whether we got a free nest of tables or not. Also we had to wait a week or thereabouts for delivery as the driver was busy at the time business was really busy in that period.

As above in my example we were buying the sofa regardless. I would also like to add for the money we paid it was a fantastic deal as the store appeared to have their prices very competitively set in comparrisson to the supposedly larger stores ie DFS Cost Plus Sofas etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

DFS do not give discounts. I've dealt with them in London, buying a sofa for cash. They didn't even want to take the money, wanting me to buy the sofa on credit. Their stuff isn't the best quality either.

I'd walk.

Not sure if i said this already but this happened a few years back. Regarding the quote above from Mr Whirly we got a nest of tables worth €120 for free the rest ie the free delivery to a room of your choice, assembly and taking away the packaging was already accounted for in the price. The Sales Assistant only gave the nest of tables free and that was without us asking for them. We simply showed a really good interest in them. We were also buying the sofa regardless of whether we got a free nest of tables or not. Also we had to wait a week or thereabouts for delivery as the driver was busy at the time business was really busy in that period.

As above in my example we were buying the sofa regardless. I would also like to add for the money we paid it was a fantastic deal as the store appeared to have their prices very competitively set in comparrisson to the supposedly larger stores ie DFS Cost Plus Sofas etc.

None of that changes the fact that the store obviously couldn't stay profitable and are now gone. That's bad business. Good for you obviously.

• Probably wrong to expect it, but most definitely right to suss it out.

None of that changes the fact that the store obviously couldn't stay profitable and are now gone. That's bad business. Good for you obviously.

Not trying to argue with you trying to point out that we got a free nest of tables without asking for them or asking about any sort of discount at all. Also the fact that we were buying the sofa set anyway even without the free next of tables.

Neither you or I know the circumstances of how or why the shop is now gone. Indeed the shop could have moved to a different premises that I have not seen since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

If they are making £82 million profit I doubt they could be bothered!

If they are making £82 million profit I doubt they could be bothered!

Probably not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

pocketse wrote: »
    Was chatting to a young guy on the shop floor
    I would go for older guys who usually would have more authority, they might also have more of an interest in the profitability of the company.

I would certainly not expect it as a rule, however I do know guys who have sold furniture for donkeys years and they tell me lots is sold at large margins, and so there is often large room for possible discounts, but only on certain items, some are already rock bottom.

Problem they have seen is that people might go to a superstore, get a 50% discount on furniture and then expect similar discounts in other departments, on say a console sold at a minimal margin. So the other salesguys end up with the irate customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement