Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fertility over 30

Options
  • 25-06-2013 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

I was chatting to a friend of mine last night and the whole question around having children cropped up – we are both in our mid 30’s and were discussing the drop in fertility rates at our age and whether we will find it difficult to have children or not. A recent article however in Atlantic Magazine suggests that much of discussion around the decline in women’s fertility in their 30’s is largely overstated and based on ancient data.

It’s a very interesting read, so thought I would share. It made me, for one, feel better anyway :)

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/07/how-long-can-you-wait-to-have-a-baby/309374/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I read this, but the study isn't the most accurate. There's medical evidence of a decline in fertility after 30, and for men after 40. Talk to any fertility expert worth their salt and they'll tell you your chances of conceiving after 35 reduce. If you're wondering what your fertility is like, get things like AMH tested, it'll give you an idea.

Totally anecdotal, but the mums I know who started trying after 35 all wished they'd started a bit sooner and had more time to play with. It can feel very rushed trying to get pregnant as you get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

lazygal wrote: »
    I read this, but the study isn't the most accurate. There's medical evidence of a decline in fertility after 30

did you really read the article? The author references several studies, points out their flaws and acknowledges that while there is a decline, it is not as severe as we are led to believe. Of course earlier is better if people are in that situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

Each individual will differ, and I'm sure that some 35 year olds will be more fertile than other 25 year olds, etc.

But it still remains a solid fact that fertility decreases with age, and dramatically from mid 30s onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,286 ✭✭✭✭fits

But it still remains a solid fact that fertility decreases with age, and dramatically from mid 30s onwards.

did you read article? It says decline not as dramatic as made out to be. what is your source for this dramatic decline? Sometimes it is no harm to challenge our own assumptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭wallycharlo

fits wrote: »
    did you read article? It says decline not as dramatic as made out to be. what is your source for this dramatic decline? Sometimes it is no harm to challenge our own assumptions.

Yes, I read the article.

My source is what I have been told first hand (in a clinical setting) by several renowned experts in the field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

fits wrote: »
    did you really read the article? The author references several studies, points out their flaws and acknowledges that while there is a decline, it is not as severe as we are led to believe. Of course earlier is better if people are in that situation.

Yeah, I read it last week. I still think its not as accurate as the author might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

lazygal wrote: »
    Yeah, I read it last week. I still think its not as accurate as the author might think.

Which of the studies do you feel are not accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Yes, I read the article.

My source is what I have been told first hand (in a clinical setting) by several renowned experts in the field.

I think the problem though, is that these experts are basing their data on the studies mentioned in the article making it either obsolete or inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think this is very interesting article and raises some interesting points. But it is written by psychologist so it would be quite to see what response comes from the field.

Advertisement