Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork to Dublin train this morning

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭eejoynt

That's the spirit...getting out from under the false positives of friends of IE and IE staff

This post is in the best tradition of c and t
    Leadership from a moderator !

Foggy lad lives on !!

" just checked, according to the online booking tool, all the Mark IV's to Cork are 5 carriage sets, rather then 8 you had in the past!!

Of the 14 services a day to Cork, according to the online booking tool:

4 are 3 carriage 22ks!
    2 are 6 carriage 22ks
    8 are 5 carriage Mark IV's

That seems to be a significant reduction from the past!

I stand to be corrected on the Mark IV's, but in the past I remember the online booking tool showing all carriages on the train, with just some unbookable."

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eejoynt wrote: »
    That's the spirit...getting out from under the false positives of friends of IE and IE staff

Foggy lad lives on !!
    I, and quite a few others, are fed up of comments like this, so kindly desist.

" just checked, according to the online booking tool, all the Mark IV's to Cork are 5 carriage sets, rather then 8 you had in the past!!

4 are 3 carriage 22ks!
    2 are 6 carriage 22ks

I stand to be corrected on the Mark IV's, but in the past I remember the online booking tool showing all carriages on the train, with just some unbookable."
    Are you counting first class, dining car and DVT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

Victor wrote: »
    I, and quite a few others, are fed up of comments like this, so kindly desist.

There were seven carriages and the driving trailer on the train. Bk put the jersey away mate!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Victor wrote: »

Yes, the online tool for Mark IV's show one first class, one dinning car and 3 standard class carriages.

However I'm not doubting lxflyer, I just remember the booking tool showing the full train in the past, with some carriages blocked out, so I was surprised to see just the 5 now, but maybe they changed it in the tool recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Yeah, that's definitely the case. They don't let you book the last few coaches and never have.

It's just A,B,C,D and E.

In the earlier days they only had A,B,C bookable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

bk wrote: »
    Yes, the online tool for Mark IV's show one first class, one dinning car and 3 standard class carriages.

However I'm not doubting lxflyer, I just remember the booking tool showing the full train in the past, with some carriages blocked out, so I was surprised to see just the 5 now, but maybe they changed it in the tool recently.

I can prove the train was a full set bk, having videoed it arriving onto the platform I can put it up on YouTube. Hopefully you'll take my word for it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

We are really fighting over spilt milk here, It doesnt matter if they have reduced the set to five which I for one have not seen as I have been at kildare station a number of times over the past couple of weeks and have seen no change to the sets, plus I have never seen a 3 car 22K set to Cork but anyway, the main fact IE cant get away from is the obvious, passenger numbers are falling overall across the network since the recession has kicked in ,I would imagine people are attracted by these offers, I am one of those people but, Once IE end these offers which they will at some stage these rise in numbers will fall again, its a vicious circle, once you give people a deal they will expect it constantly and once you cant deliver on that offer people will leave and look for the better deal such as a competitor coach on that route, not rocket science

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

davidlacey wrote: »
    We are really fighting over spilt milk here, It doesnt matter if they have reduced the set to five which I for one have not seen as I have been at kildare station a number of times over the past couple of weeks and have seen no change to the sets, plus I have never seen a 3 car 22K set to Cork but anyway, the main fact IE cant get away from is the obvious, passenger numbers are falling overall across the network since the recession has kicked in ,I would imagine people are attracted by these offers, I am one of those people but, Once IE end these offers which they will at some stage these rise in numbers will fall again, its a vicious circle, once you give people a deal they will expect it constantly and once you cant deliver on that offer people will leave and look for the better deal such as a competitor coach on that route, not rocket science

Not really, give people a deal and they will use the train. A lot of them will (re?)discover the comfort and speed of the train and will decide to use it in future at €42 return. Ideally the fare would be lower but obviously it can't be the case.

Also a lot of people may not be aware that the walk up fare isn't the only fare, they will find out about the cheap fares from advertising, and in booking them may realise that booking in advance is always cheaper and may switch to the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Foggy lad lives on !!

4 are 3 carriage 22ks!
    2 are 6 carriage 22ks

Online bookings only show Frist Class, Dinning Cart, 3 Standard Class. Then there is 2 other Standard Class.

There is 2 other Standard Class carriages are not shown online, one the quiet carriage and the other is released if demand is there.

The sets were designed to operate in 8 piece sets however they operate with 7, AFAIK they have not operated on a regularly in 8 coach sets at all. Not counting the DVT.

So instead of being a complete P****, do some research and get your facts right before you jump to conclusions and then post them here.

Foggy lad would post correct facts in relation to train sizes and his conurbations are somewhat more credible than yours any day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Con Logue

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Foggy lad would post correct facts in relation to train sizes and his conurbations are somewhat more credible than yours any day.

Not sure I'd want to live in a foggy run conurbation? Is this a plot to turn Carlow into a megapolis of 5 million people offering free transport on privately run buses?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I can prove the train was a full set bk, having videoed it arriving onto the platform I can put it up on YouTube. Hopefully you'll take my word for it though!

Absolutely no need, I'm totally happy to take your and everyone else's word for it.
    omicron wrote: »
    Not really, give people a deal and they will use the train. A lot of them will (re?)discover the comfort and speed of the train and will decide to use it in future at €42 return. Ideally the fare would be lower but obviously it can't be the case.

You might hope that, on the other hand have gotten a taste for the coaches and having seen how comfortable and cheap they are, many might not be willing to go back to €42 (or €68 which is what a peak time pre-booked return fare now costs!).

Anyway the €12 fares are very off-peak, so they won't suit the majority of coach users anyway.
    So instead of being a complete P****, do some research and get your facts right before you jump to conclusions and then post them here.

There really isn't any need for language like that here! Remember the golden rule of boards: "attack the post, not the poster"

In my post, I specifically said I was open to being corrected and when I was I immediately accepted it. I learned something new today, that the IR booking system doesn't show all carriages. There really isn't any need to stoup to name calling like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

There really isn't any need for language like that here! Remember the golden rule of boards: "attack the post, not the poster"

In my post, I specifically said I was open to being corrected and when I was I immediately accepted it. I learned something new today, that the IR booking system doesn't show all carriages. There really isn't any need to stoup to name calling like that!

None of my post referred to you and I didn't attack the poster, in this case "eejoynt" was posting something he knew nothing about and I would even go and say he was trolling.

As for not releasing all coaches on the ICR's it the opposite, they release all of them but the ones with 36 seats are larger, they have either 54 or 64 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,316 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No personal abuse, please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I just wish the MK4 seats were a bit more comfortable. I find them a bit too thin and lacking in springiness.

Also the lack of sockets really is a deal breaker for me on the Cork Dublin service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Absolutely no need, I'm totally happy to take your and everyone else's word for it.

You might hope that, on the other hand have gotten a taste for the coaches and having seen how comfortable and cheap they are, many might not be willing to go back to €42 (or €68 which is what a peak time pre-booked return fare now costs!).

Anyway the €12 fares are very off-peak, so they won't suit the majority of coach users anyway.

And you are not a moderator of this forum.

Hilly Bill wrote: »

You are correct, but then I thought it would be better to just mention it rather then report it and get Jamie in trouble.

In future I'll just report it so and leave it to the mods.

BTW Sorry about this OT post!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You are correct, but then I thought it would be better to just mention it rather then report it and get Jamie in trouble.

In future I'll just report it so and leave it to the mods.

BTW Sorry about this OT post!

Please do otherwise you will be infracted for back seat modding!
    Hilly Bill wrote: »

You're not as well! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement