Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Marines versus 1 viet cong sniper, tracer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

People can say what they want about the Daily Mail, but you just don't get pieces like that in the Times or Newsweek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

He looks very like Matthew Modine's character Private Joker in Full Metal Jacket, or is that just me??

Great photography considering the conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

iceage wrote: »
    He looks very like Matthew Modine's character Private Joker in Full Metal Jacket, or is that just me??

Great photography considering the conditions.

Not just you.

Seriously cool photos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Savage93 wrote: »

Hence why the US military needs a unit like the RAF Regiment to dominate the ground around air bases etc.

The nearest is the US Army Rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Used to a have a poster showing 2 boxcar(pre c130) gunships on a night run unleashing what can only be described as a ring of fire on an nva position

Awesome find op

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

great photos, but can someone tell me what kind of sniper (duh, duh, duhhhh) sprays fire anywhere, especially with the result or rounds hitting the roof? sadly, the written piece accompanying the photos don't do them justice. There are few things as impressive as a large volume of tracer fire of different calibers, and god knows the yanks love a light show. A few grands worth of ammunition against some bloke with a couple of rounds, blowing the absolute **** out of everything in sight but being unable to confirm the kill- not a lot seems to have changed since the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

RAF Regiment = US Army Rangers?

Dream on.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    RAF Regiment = US Army Rangers?

Dream on.

tac

Lt Col. Tac Foley

Dream on,

Crusader

Hence why the US military needs a unit like the RAF Regiment to dominate the ground around air bases etc.

I get it now.

Years ago, you wanted to be in the forces. Being a little special, you applied for the RAF Regiment because you didn't have the personality to get on with lads in the real forces. But, your plan didn't work, because for some reason (mental health?) you got rejected by the RAF. So, in order to get revenge you make them seem like an even worse bunch of tossers; you visit numerous fora and claim to be a rock ape, and act like a deluded nutter making cracking claims about the abilities and expections of a RAF regiment ape. You are infact, working hard to come across as this headcase so that people will think that all RAF Regt personnel are this crazy.

I'll claim my 5 pounds thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not entirely sure what you're on about. USAF Security Forces perform that function. Why would Rangers be in any way analagous?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The RAF Regiment is primarily concerned with force protection - the US 75th Ranger Regiment are a raiding force - chalk & cheese.

Lt Col. Tac Foley

Dream on,

Crusader

[mod]Your turn to get an infraction.

If you have evidence that he is not who he claims, present it to me and the other mods by PM. Otherwise, drop the personal attacks.[/mod]

Jawgap wrote: »
    The RAF Regiment is primarily concerned with force protection - the US 75th Ranger Regiment are a raiding force - chalk & cheese.

The Rangers obviously have a much broader role.

But they also share a role No. 2 Squadron RAF Regiment have which is capturing and holding airfields. The RAF Regiment is also a raiding Regiment, hence its long range patrol role.

"No. 2 Squadron RAF Regiment is based at RAF Honington in Suffolk. It is a parachute-trained Field Squadron in the RAF Regiment which is capable of inserting by parachute and securing forward airfields"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-1_Air_Base
    The Iraqi 2d Air Defense Sector, also known as the Western Air Defense Sector, had an IOCs at H-1 Airfield. The US Army's 75th Ranger Regiment captured H1 airfield in a night-time parachute assault on 25 March 2003.

Not entirely sure what you're on about. USAF Security Forces perform that function. Why would Rangers be in any way analagous?

USAF Security forces inc 435th Security Forces Squadrons role is not as broad as the RAF Regiments in terms of force protection.

The RAF Regiment is a very unique military formation

There is no equivilant unit. The RAF Regiment is force protection + Raiding, its motto attack is the best form of defence. It also has a long range patrol role.

Why would Rangers be in any way analagous?

above post.

discus wrote: »
    I get it now.

Years ago, you wanted to be in the forces. Being a little special, you applied for the RAF Regiment because you didn't have the personality to get on with lads in the real forces. But, your plan didn't work, because for some reason (mental health?) you got rejected by the RAF. So, in order to get revenge you make them seem like an even worse bunch of tossers; you visit numerous fora and claim to be a rock ape, and act like a deluded nutter making cracking claims about the abilities and expections of a RAF regiment ape. You are infact, working hard to come across as this headcase so that people will think that all RAF Regt personnel are this crazy.

I'll claim my 5 pounds thanks.

Reported.

[mod]Your turn to get an infraction.

If you have evidence that he is not who he claims, present it to me and the other mods by PM. Otherwise, drop the personal attacks.[/mod]

Its impossible to go from Private to Lt Col in peacetime, its unheard of.

Lt Cols command Regiments.

Its impossible to go from Private to Lt Col in peacetime, its unheard of.

Lt Cols command Regiments.

What sort of rubbish are you spouting? 13 years ago I graduated basic training as a new junior enlisted soldier. I was notified yesterday that the Major's selection board has approved my promotion to that rank. That's only one rank below LTC, and none have been battlefield promotions.

USAF Security forces inc 435th Security Forces Squadrons role is not as broad as the RAF Regiments in terms of force protection.

It may not be, but if the function currently under discussion involves gearing up for a fight within a couple of miles of the airfield in order to make sure nobody attacks either the airfield itself, or aircraft on the approach path, then the USAF Security Forces have that function.

What sort of rubbish are you spouting? 13 years ago I graduated basic training as a new junior enlisted soldier. I was notified yesterday that the Major's selection board has approved my promotion to that rank. That's only one rank below LTC, and none have been battlefield promotions.

You are not serving in the British army.

It takes around 22 years to become a WO1 from private.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

• Advertisement

You are not serving in the British army.

It takes around 22 years to become a WO1 from private.

Bull****. There's a WO1 in my regiment who isn't even 30 yet.

I dont believe you, in Tacs time it was around 22 years, in recent times 15 years in exceptional circumstances in units such as the Royal Signals or Int Corps. Larger Corps still 18-22 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Got a recently promoted WO2 in mine who's been in about 12 years. Went from sergeant to WO2 in 3 years.

Of course you and me dont know what we're talking about as far as crusader is concerned. :rolleyes:

Got a recently promoted WO2 in mine who's been in about 12 years. Went from sergeant to WO2 in 3 years.

Of course you and me dont know what we're talking about as far as crusader is concerned. :rolleyes:

craphat regiments ;)

craphat regiments ;)

A bit like the RAF regiment then.

A bit like the RAF regiment then.

Not quite.

There is no way you can have the experience to be a WO2 in 12 years, never mind WO1.

The RSM/W01 is responsible for maintaining standards and discipline and acts as a parental figure to his or her subordinates.

12 Years does not give you the experience to do that.

Not quite.

There is no way you can have the experience to be a WO2 in 12 years.

And you know that based on what?

Because despite what you say he's done it. Funny that. Maybe you can come over and explain that to my CO.

And you know that based on what?

Because despite what you say he's done it. Funny that. Maybe you can come over and explain that to my CO.

The RSM/W01 is responsible for maintaining standards and discipline and acts as a parental figure to his or her subordinates.

A 30 yr old does not have the experience to do that.

The whole point of the Rank was created to award lifetime service soldiers.

And how can a 30 yr old with 12 years service have the experience of Queens Regulations to uphold this rank ?

A 30 yr old does not have the experience to do that.

He's in his mid-thirties not that it matters. Why shouldn't a thirty year old be capable if they're considered good enough?

• Advertisement

He's in his mid-thirties not that it matters. Why shouldn't a thirty year old be capable if they're considered good enough?

Its not about good enough, its experienced enough.

Esp in Queens Regulations and maintaining regimental standards, acting as a parental figure in the regiment.

The other poster said the WO in his reg was under 30.

Advertisement