Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Certificate in Stockbroking (APA)

Options
  • 24-06-2013 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Just a quick few questions, in regards to this course (Professional Certificate in Stockbroking (APA)). What job areas would this qualification led me to? Also would I need further studies on top of this course to get into these job areas? Is there a similar or less challenging course to teach a novice in stock trading etc?

A quick summary as to why I'm asking these questions. Basically I'm reviewing my own situation and the lack of money from my current employment, I would like to get a job that gives me a relative income to give me a safe level of security. As you may have guessed I'm a public sector worker and I feel that further pay cuts and job losses are on the way and would like to have another avenue if this does happen.

All answers would be much appreciated and thanks in advance for all helpful answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Just a quick few questions, in regards to this course (Professional Certificate in Stockbroking (APA)). What job areas would this qualification led me to? Also would I need further studies on top of this course to get into these job areas? Is there a similar or less challenging course to teach a novice in stock trading etc?

A quick summary as to why I'm asking these questions. Basically I'm reviewing my own situation and the lack of money from my current employment, I would like to get a job that gives me a relative income to give me a safe level of security. As you may have guessed I'm a public sector worker and I feel that further pay cuts and job losses are on the way and would like to have another avenue if this does happen.

All answers would be much appreciated and thanks in advance for all helpful answers.

Im no expert on the matter but I guess im sort of exploring my options as such as a mature student coming to the end of an Economics degree.

Your question is extremely wide.

Do you really pick a course without a clue what type of job you want? I believe you are doing this all wrong. I think you need to decide what kind of job you have a passion for.

There will be others here who may be able to give you a better idea about what that course would give you. I know a bit about the QFA and may do it myself at some point but I dont think it is seen as all that great a qualification.

It would be seen as a nice bonus for someone with a degree.

I can near definitely say that by moving jobs and that been your only qualification you wont be earning a fortune.

I think give us an idea what you want in a job and what your salary expectations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭blackrovers

Ah cheers Helpneeded86.

Well I was considering this course as a way of testing the water so to speak. In the past I had a keen interest in stocks etc and was very good at picking successful stocks. However over time I slowly lost interest or suppose got lazy and never did anything about it.

So I'm looking at this to get a good grounding in the theory and facts etc behind stock trading. In regards to a job, I know a job in this area would take time and probably years. So I'm thinking of doing this course for two reasons, one to see if I do have an interest and I'm keen to go down this route and two to use it to possibly dip into trading on my own from what I've learnt from this course.

As for a salary expectation, 60k plus.

You said it would be a nice bonus on top of a degree, what degree would be a good one to lead into the Professional Certificate in Stockbroking?

Cheers for answering questions for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Stockbrocking is a dying trade. stock brocking jobs has been among the worst hit if not the worst since the financial crash.

There's also a difference between stockbrocking and stock trading ?

Will the certificate get you into stock trading ? I don't think so or I should say the probability of that happening is slim. you need another degree in some related field preferably physics or maths or minor ones such as economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 manofachill

Has anyone done the registered certificate in stockbroking? I'm not able to sign up the course at the moment but was hoping to study for it during the coronavirus. Does anyone know if there is a way I can get access to the manuals or old exam papers somehow?? I would be happy to buy the manuals off somebody who has just completed it if they still have them

Advertisement