Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laois hurling

Options
  • 24-06-2013 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Seems we have made a few strides in the right direstion over the last few years....We are into to our first Minor final since 1991 ....

We got to Leinster u21 final last year

Very unlucky not to beat Offaly in the U21 this year infact I thought we were by far the better team...

Gave Galway a rattle in the senior...

Not the nicest of draws to have to go to Ennis next saturday week to play a wounded Clare team but Hopefully the lads can continue this progress!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

laois gael wrote: »
    Seems we have made a few strides in the right direstion over the last few years....We are into to our first Minor final since 1991 ....

Very unlucky not to beat Offaly in the U21 this year infact I thought we were by far the better team...

Not the nicest of draws to have to go to Ennis next saturday week to play a wounded Clare team but Hopefully the lads can continue this progress!

It's a very positive thing to see, and the onus is now on the GAA to release further funding to allow for the development of the game in the county. Success breeds success.

laois gael wrote: »

Willie Hyland made a strong statement last year about the state of Laois hurling which must have caused the county to take stock at some level.

I think in order for both hurling and football to thrive in counties perhaps its time that there is 64 county boards (A separate football and hurling board for each county) and that the money is spread evenly across each board.

It would be better for example perhaps if the real hurling people in Laois or Carlow or where ever, were in charge of their own destiny from here on in rather than it just being a case of bureaucrats funnelling the money into the stronger code

Laois have a bit of tradition in hurling in any case having won an All Ireland (albeit a long time ago) and having had a very competitive team in the 80s so perhaps its a case of going backwards over the years rather than only going forward now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Martin567

Good luck to them and I hope they keep it up. The minors weren't flattered by their winning margin yesterday and that was against a Wexford team that beat Kilkenny in Nowlan Park a few weeks ago.

As recently as 1998, I remember Kilkenny needing a very late goal to beat Laois in Leinster Championship game.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭laois gael

Martin567 wrote: »
    Good luck to them and I hope they keep it up. The minors weren't flattered by their winning margin yesterday and that was against a Wexford team that beat Kilkenny in Nowlan Park a few weeks ago.

As recently as 1998, I remember Kilkenny needing a very late goal to beat Laois in Leinster Championship game.

Yeah Laois have had a few different spells where they were decent at both codes..In the mid 80s they were on a par with Wexford Offaly and not far off the cats and were far ahead of the Dubs...They got to Both football and hurling leinster finals in 1985 which was some achievement for a small county...Hurling took a back seat in the late 90s/early 00s when the football took over but now its making a come back it seems...

The football seems to be going the opposite way but still Laois can hold their own on any given day Like the showed when they pushed the Dubs last year in the all Ireland Football quater finals!

Ennis for the Hurlers could be a step to far this year but hopefully the can rattle the banner and get on Davey's nerves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Nice to see Laois in a healthier state at the moment. Last year there was serious (and quite frankly ridiculous in my opinion) talk of Laois being demoted to Christy Ring hurling for 2013. There was even a thread about it here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I think with the proper set up from September through the winter and into the league and championship that the likes of Antrim, Westmeath, Offaly could make a much bigger impression on the championship.
    strong management
    strength and conditioning facilities
    finance to pay for buses, equipment, training weekends
    regular games

their main obstacle is once a team is eliminated there are no games until next spring to improve players.
    at least with the old league a few rounds were played before christmas giving teams a chance to try new players or build up some momentum before the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Delighted to see Laois making strides (along with Carlow). Really shows the benefit of a committed local manager. Will be rooting for you guys in Ennis, judging by Clare last sunday I genuinely believe you can rattle them.

Advertisement