Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2nd fix plumbing

Options
  • 22-06-2013 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a house at the moment. The second fix plumbing is not completed. All the rads are in place but that's it. How easy is it for a plumber to take over a job started by someone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a house at the moment. The second fix plumbing is not completed. All the rads are in place but that's it. How easy is it for a plumber to take over a job started by someone else?

It really depends on the first fix, which could be a disaster or be done quite well. Is your house in an estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Dtp79 wrote: »
    It really depends on the first fix, which could be a disaster or be done quite well. Is your house in an estate?

No its a dormer bungalow. In the utility downstairs there is loads of qualplex pipes I'm assuming are going to the rads. However upstairs is where the tank and cylinder are located. Does this make sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Yes that's pipe in pipe to each rad. Wouldn't take long sort what's what. Just make sure everything is pressure tested.

No its a dormer bungalow. In the utility downstairs there is loads of qualplex pipes I'm assuming are going to the rads. However upstairs is where the tank and cylinder are located. Does this make sense?

Being honest it's looks as rough as a bears arse. The pipes aren't lagged which is shocking, and what's worse is the tops of the pipes aren't even taped off to stop dirt and debris entering the pipework. Show a pic of the hotpress if you can

Being honest it's looks as rough as a bears arse. The pipes aren't lagged which is shocking, and what's worse is the tops of the pipes aren't even taped off to stop dirt and debris entering the pipework. Show a pic of the hotpress if you can

Don't have picture of hotpress. Not sure the guy did it was a qualified plumber probably explains it. Is it possible to separate into zones with that set up? I am using oil boiler for rads and to heat water. I will install solar at a later date and want an extra coil in the cylinder for this. Would I need a 2 or 3 coil tank?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

@crazy kenny. I know that photo makes the pipework look rough. However the good thing is the pipes are protected from the cement and when the manifold is put on that will tidy up the pipework.

I done a house recently for a friend of mine in a similar situation as yourself in Waterford. He got a great deal in my opinion. Defo make money in the long term.

However , I had no major problems with the 1st fix. Before I commenced I pressure tested every thing, checked for timbers for hanging appliances ect. I would have designed things different myself if I was starting from scratch. However I had no issues that would cause great concern with the 1st fix.

Don't have picture of hotpress. Not sure the guy did it was a qualified plumber probably explains it. Is it possible to separate into zones with that set up? I am using oil boiler for rads and to heat water. I will install solar at a later date and want an extra coil in the cylinder for this. Would I need a 2 or 3 coil tank?

If its just oil and solar then you just need 2 coils. I'd recommend getting a third coil as a spare just in case you ever decide in future to put in a solid fuel stove. It's easy enough to zone the pipework the way it is at the moment but I would definately get the pipework flushed beforehand because the original. " qualified plumber" never taped off the the pipe ends.

Anyone hazard a guesstimate how much the 2nd fix would cost? There are 12 rads and are all hanging and connected. As far as I can see the manifold needs to be connected, copper cylinder, water tank and boiler. The house is 1600ft2 and I was thinking of getting a grant vortex 50-90 condensing boiler and a grant triple coil 250 litre cylinder.

Anyone hazard a guesstimate how much the 2nd fix would cost? There are 12 rads and are all hanging and connected. As far as I can see the manifold needs to be connected, copper cylinder, water tank and boiler. The house is 1600ft2 and I was thinking of getting a grant vortex 50-90 condensing boiler and a grant triple coil 250 litre cylinder.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Too difficult to price over a forum. Too many unforeseens that could only be determined on inspection.

• Advertisement

Was thinking about installing LPG supply instead of oil. Anyone have opinions?

Was thinking about installing LPG supply instead of oil. Anyone have opinions?

one word sentence to advice you.

dont.

Jaysus nothin wrong with LPG if the system is controlled properly. Alot to be said for a modulating boiler

ballpark for the listed supply and fit. 6k

Jaysus nothin wrong with LPG if the system is controlled properly. Alot to be said for a modulating boiler

agree. however my preference would be oil over lpg.

one word sentence to advice you.

dont.

Why?

Cost per kwh is pretty much the same as oil but you have the added benefit & savings of modulating boilers with gas.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Why?

Cost per kwh is pretty much the same as oil but you have the added benefit & savings of modulating boilers with gas.

i could be wrong. but the last time I checked the cost per therm of lpg was more than oil. Allowing for the rental ect .

another factor is the way both products can be purchased. you can buy 5 or 10 gallon drum of oil from a local garage . lpg bulks are minimum. cold nights , money is short, need heating.

You pay more per litre when buying in small quantities for oil.
    You can also pay more & connect a 47kg propane bottle with LPG also!

shane0007 wrote: »
    You pay more per litre when buying in small quantities for oil.
    You can also pay more & connect a 47kg propane bottle with LPG also!

you have to set the system up for the small bottles of lpg. when its not been supplied direct, we all take the risk of been caught out. rather rely on the garage for oil with no additional set up costs.

you have to set the system up for the small bottles of lpg. when its not been supplied direct, we all take the risk of been caught out. rather rely on the garage for oil with no additional set up costs.

You can connect upto 3 x 47kg bottles with auto changeover valve without requirement of OPSO & would be very simple to set initially. 4 or more install an OPSO.
    1 x 47kg bottle can provide a takeoff of upto 34kw.

My point is, LPG is a very viable option even for people who wish to buy in small quantities.

• Advertisement

well to be honest I dont do many lpg installations. if its not mains gas I always advice go for kero. maybe im just set in me ways. the last lpg I installed was commercial. my 2 babies is always 1 mains gas and 2 kero for the ole domestic clients. but the majority of installations iv been asked to do in the last few years are stoves and solid fuel boilers. I only ever fitted 2 biofuel systems in me whole carer.

I have never set up a boiler from a gas bottle either.
    I was just making a point. The other downside of this would be the cost per kwh from a 47kg bottle would be price prohibitive.
    So, agreed if small quantities are required frequently, then kerosene would be the way to go.

well id say eventually biofuel will be the future. conversion with oil burners , the way forward . id say.

then again. im probably talkin sh1t :confused:

but I remember about 10 years ago I done the oftec. the talk at the time was the biofuel. has there been any progress in that respect shane or is it a pipe dream?

OFTEC is very wrapped up & determined to run with biofuel. I can't see it happening & IMHO is the wrong way to go for a number of reasons:
    1. To grow rape & the likes, it will takeover food farm land & is bad for world food production. Already the UK experienced a drop in their food production because of incentives to grow for biofuels. So not good for long term.
    2. At the moment it was increased from B5 to B7. Only a 2% increase but a 40% increase from what it was! Already playing havoc with farm machinery left idle over the winter months. All the rubbers, lines, etc. must be replaced. OFTEC want to get it to B30. They even mentioned that their long term goal was B70!
    3. Biofuels are hygroscopic, therefore they attract water and therefore bacteria. Sludge from this will be and is a major issue.
    4. Finally, a bi-product of biofuel is glycerine. A harmless product but will destroy burners/engines. 100 litres of the bio part of the fuel (B30 - so 30% - 30 litres) would produce 1% glycerine. So 0.3 litres of glycerine would be produced from 100 litres of B30. This needs to be drawn off from the tank so a draw off point would be required from the tank, i.e. tanks would have to be redesigned. Glycerine can be thrown on compost heaps but the catchment of it needs to be dealt with. It is also re-occurring so if drawn off & the existing 100 litres is not used, it will produce another 0.3 litres of glycerine and the process starts again. So imagine the issue with large storage in low demand times.

fair play to shane your on the ball.

i suppose its hard enough to get clients to buy bunded tanks. so the thought of trying to price a larger than usuall tank. would be a mission in its self.

Ok so I think i'm going to stick to oil.

Whats the difference between grant euroflame and vortex?

Also do ye know are warmflow boilers any good?

my pref be the votex. but i think shanes the man for the spec. ill leave that to him.

Efficiency & a couple of other things.

Euroflame has approx 1/3 less size in the secondary (condensing) heat exchanger so higher flue temps and therefore higher losses to outside rather than to the system.
    Number of turbolators in the Euroflame is also 1/3 less. SO a 36kw Vortex has 33 turbulotors, the Euroflame has 22.
    Outdoor Vortex has a built in frost thermostat.
    Euroflame does not, so one must be fitted.
    Euroflame is approx €100 + VAT cheaper than the Vortex.

For the difference in cost, definitely go with the Vortex. Long term cheaper to run, more heat to the system, better for the environment & frost protection already built in, if outdoor model.

Thanks for all the information guys. I might have a few more questions over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the information guys. I might have a few more questions over the coming weeks.
    your right to. get as much info and advice before hand.

the main thing is to know how to use your system , when its fitted. to get the full benifit from it. a lack of consumer knowledge in that area is IMO the biggest cost factor to clients.

a well planned heating system saves money. zones , stats ect.

Advertisement