Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why austerity is a good idea

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Noreen1 wrote: »

If we can't afford oil, for instance, it doesn't matter if consumption drops.
    Naturally, the money we do have would have to be prioritized for the things we really need. Obviously oil would be a priority whereas overpriced vanity items such as a cotton shopping bag printed with "I`m not a plastic bag" would be somewhat further down the priority list.
    What about the shops that are not owned by NAMA? What is the percentage of shops owned by NAMA, anyway? Have rents in NAMA owned properties actually dropped since the crises began? What about upward-only rent reviews? Do you think that these issues have any bearing on actual rents being paid?
    Just like the shopkeepers, the landlords (be they NAMA or anyone else) will very quickly realize the futility of trying to defy gravity. If they refuse to cut the rent they will find that their tenants simply can`t pay. Rent arrears will rise and they can put up with that indefinitely or they can evict or they may find that the tenants choose to vacate the premises and that the property is no longer rent-able at their former asking price.
    As to unwashed spuds bought from a local farmer? Are you aware that the local farmer cannot sell you these spuds without a licence? One which is prohibitively expensive for small producers, and that's before you count the man hours required for actually selling the product?

People adapt to new realities. They will buy directly from farmers. The law will be become impossible to enforce because both buyers and sellers will be forced to ignore it out of necessity. Apart from spuds, what I am really referring to is goods the customer can afford so goods which or not highly processed would be more affordable than those which are. Vanity items and quality brands would sell less whereas practical items and "yellow pack" brands would sell better.
    How do we drive down the cost of imported products? Again, the market is too small for Ireland inc. to make any difference to the price of items such as vehicles, or "white goods".
    We need the vehicles, refrigeration etc, but the amount that prices will realistically fall is limited.

In many cases we would simply have to do without many of the better quality imported goods we have gotten used to. In addition, cars and trucks would be kept on the road for longer before being scrapped. Things like car pooling would increase. There would be fewer state subsidized services eg bus routes/journeys but again those services would be used far more so there would be less wastage.
    In short, austerity might work, in a self-sufficient economy
    People will adapt when they have no other choice. We do not need to be 100% self sufficient, trade will continue but priorities would have to be given to what is really necessary.
    However, for a small open-market economy, the only effect austerity has is to decrease disposable income, which in turn, ensures the failure of the SMEs, which (combined) are actually the biggest employers in the state, causing a tremendous increase in social welfare costs.
    That is precisely what has happened, so far, despite the mass exodus of emigrants.
    Financing would have to change. For example, home mortgage financing would have to stop altogether so people who cannot buy outright would have to rent. Financing should be kept exclusively for SMEs which are geared toward exporting or replacing imports.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    If borrowing €15-20b per annum is austerity, then what do you guys have in mind for a stimulus??

Yesterdays launch of Pavee Point's leaflets on young traveller self-harm and bullying saw the organization raise substantial issue over Austerity based cuts to Traveller Education Services.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/secondary-schools-failing-traveller-children-pavee-point-claims-1.1474882

It appears to be the PP case that cuts to Traveller Focused Education supports are somehow less sustainable than elsewhere in the Education System...
    “The Traveller education budget got cut by 87 per cent under austerity measures,” she said. “We now no longer have visiting teachers for Travellers, we no longer have the special resource teachers for Travellers, we don’t have a whole load of other supports that could have maybe intervened at an earlier stage. That’s why it’s becoming more apparent that it’s a problem.”

Personally,although I feel that there is huge inequity in much of how the Irish Education is funded,I'm far from certain however, that the level of blame which PP wishes to place upon the State can be borne out.

So,how can any State balance the requirements of sectional groupings,such as Travellers,with the lack of means to fund these requirements ?

That as much as anything else,appears to be the basic contradiction of the Austerity regime ? :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Chinasea wrote: »
    But, one of the main problems I see in this country is that we only cut our cloth to fit, when we as individuals or made pay for it.

Many of the Scandinavian, Baltic countries, and for all I know Asian countries would be horrified, absolutely horrified if they were to see the needless waste that we live by in Ireland.

i.e: was leaving someone into admissions in the hospital this week and the clerk printed off pages of labels for the patient and put in their folder. Max 10 labels would have been enough. Prescription at €1.50 written out for said patient with a supply of 60 tablets, when one months supply would have easily sufficed. And so on and so forth.

So for the wrong reasons OP, it would seem that austerity could be a good idea because of the needless waste and lack of collective innate foresight.

What I find jarring is that we continue to waste so much needlessly despite a full on recession..

What's most noticeable in Ireland is the constant charging for well...EVERYTHING. You name it you have to pay a fee for it, that's probably the biggest difference with Asian nations that I can garner (they haven't taken up the nickel and diming strategy invented by the Brits and Yanks yet).

I don't think that Ireland seems particularly wasteful, rather it just seems expensive for most things. If anything there is a real lack of manpower in Ireland, it can be hard to find staff and real people to deal with.

I will say that every country has waste in the system, where I'm based they give out too much subsidised meds as that's what the patient expects and docs can make a percentage, and some patients visit the doc/hospital too often due to few limits on visits. This is changing now.

So waste exists everywhere, it should be controlled, but what's more important are overall charges for services and value for money! As mentioned taxes are out of control, especially VAT, which pushes up the cost of everything, as it gets compounded all the way up the value chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

**within days, the cost of goods and services would also plummet**

Oh ho ho ho ho ho no they wouldn't:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

AlekSmart wrote: »

So,how can any State balance the requirements of sectional groupings,such as Travellers,with the lack of means to fund these requirements ?

Maybe these 'sectional groupings' can do what communities up and down the country to - organise, fundraise and help themselves by building schools literally and metaphorically from the ground up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Naturally, the money we do have would have to be prioritized for the things we really need. Obviously oil would be a priority whereas overpriced vanity items such as a cotton shopping bag printed with "I`m not a plastic bag" would be somewhat further down the priority list.

Just like the shopkeepers, the landlords (be they NAMA or anyone else) will very quickly realize the futility of trying to defy gravity. If they refuse to cut the rent they will find that their tenants simply can`t pay. Rent arrears will rise and they can put up with that indefinitely or they can evict or they may find that the tenants choose to vacate the premises and that the property is no longer rent-able at their former asking price.

People adapt to new realities. They will buy directly from farmers. The law will be become impossible to enforce because both buyers and sellers will be forced to ignore it out of necessity. Apart from spuds, what I am really referring to is goods the customer can afford so goods which or not highly processed would be more affordable than those which are. Vanity items and quality brands would sell less whereas practical items and "yellow pack" brands would sell better.

In many cases we would simply have to do without many of the better quality imported goods we have gotten used to. In addition, cars and trucks would be kept on the road for longer before being scrapped. Things like car pooling would increase. There would be fewer state subsidized services eg bus routes/journeys but again those services would be used far more so there would be less wastage.

People will adapt when they have no other choice. We do not need to be 100% self sufficient, trade will continue but priorities would have to be given to what is really necessary.

Financing would have to change. For example, home mortgage financing would have to stop altogether so people who cannot buy outright would have to rent. Financing should be kept exclusively for SMEs which are geared toward exporting or replacing imports.

I see the plan now...

Make us a 3rd world economy, then anything will be an improvment..
    I'm sure you appreciate that you're using the destruction of peoples living standards as a tool to somehow "fix" the economy.
    "The law will be become impossible to enforce because both buyers and sellers will be forced to ignore it out of necessity"

i particularly like this bit... the good news is we get to choose which laws we get to ignore... for your new Ireland, the most important thing to have will be a gun, the motto I'm getting here is, do what needs to be done to survive, not exactly a modern eutopia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

thebman wrote: »
    That ignores competition... All it takes is one to reduce the cost to get an advantage over competitors as lone as it there isn't a cartel in which the consumer rights association should take care of it...

This would not happen in the short term.

If i've paid out for the labour/materials etc to manufacture a product, i'm not going to instantly drop the price to the new material/wage costs, as that would make me a loss on what i have already produced.

This price lowering would happen very slowly, as existing stock is sold.

Within days is bolloxs. The nation does not clear it's entire inventory of stock "within days".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I still think the way out of this is to devalue the Euro and inflate the economy.

The alternatives aren't politically sustainable, particularly when Spain runs out of social insurance funds to pillage for day to day expenditure and that's likely to happen by 2014.

This ultra strong Euro and internal deflation mantra being pushed by the right wing parties in Germany and few other countries is going to completely destroy the Euro and quite possibly the EU.

Since when has Europe's focus become austerity and protection of banks? Most European politics is centre or centre left.

I can't see this ending without a very bumpy landing for all of us, including Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

bbam wrote: »
    I see the plan now...

It is far better to preempt the inevitable than wait for it to happen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

bbam wrote: »
    I see the plan now...

I'm sure you appreciate that you're using the destruction of peoples living standards as a tool to somehow "fix" the economy.

Any drop in premium first world standards does not automatically make an economy a third world economy.

But if you insist on that analogy - we already are a third world economy, but we can mask over that by borrowing huge amounts of money to keep the fires burning. Many third world countries did likewise, with about a decade of unsustainable borrowing to fund a reasonably high standard of living, then spending the rest of eternity crippled by that debt.

So let's live within our means now, however difficult that might be (and no, it won't set us back to the level of a developing economy) and recover rather than pretend that nothing is wrong and commit the country to a debt burden which we cannot realistically hope to repay any time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I still think the way out of this is to devalue the Euro and inflate the economy.

And when we stop that stimulus and credit crunch mark 2 comes along, what do we do then?
    SpaceTime wrote: »
    The alternatives aren't politically sustainable, particularly when Spain runs out of social insurance funds to pillage for day to day expenditure and that's likely to happen by 2014.

I agree with you, but I think that while the austerity policies aren't politically sustainable, the inflate our way to success policies aren't economically sustainable. Given that, despite what Krugman et al believe, we can't reinvent economics, I think people need to understand that the cuts are necessary for the greater good.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

Or, if you don't feel particularly patriotic, if you can look your children in the eye and tell them that you are shovelling a load of debt onto their working/taxpaying future because you are not prepared to cut your standard of living to pre bubble times, then you can plausibly object to the austerity measures.
    This ultra strong Euro and internal deflation mantra being pushed by the right wing parties in Germany and few other countries is going to completely destroy the Euro and quite possibly the EU.

Since the Euro first started, there have been people saying that it was going to be destroyed imminently, yet it hasn't. Since the start of the depression people have been saying that the euro will collapse, but it has performed better than the dollar or the pound. It's a funny world we live in that a strong, reliable currency is considered to be more at risk of collapse than a weak devalued one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

The Euro is only as strong as the weak link in its participating countries - if social turmoil flares up in a country, because of the complete failure of European governments to agree on how to deal with the crisis, and if that leads to a country exiting the Euro, could easily see a cascade of other countries doing the same.

Austerity is no where near a 'necessary' policy - all of the economic solutions are already known (Yanis Varoufakis has many immediate options very well laid out here); it is a political problem at a European level, not an economic one.

We've given Europe significant power over governing our lives, and they have been failing us enormously for the past 5 years - the political/economic system in its current configuration is doing us more harm than good, and there is no appetite for reform of it in Europe, by the looks of it.

If we continue the path we're on, we're fúcked for another 5-10 (maybe 15) years (unless by miracle, Europe decides to engage in recovery policies - the last 5 years weigh heavily against that, it is just a vague hope at this stage), and if we exit this path we're fúcked also, but might avoid the same problem in the next economic crisis then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Jawgap wrote: »
    Maybe these 'sectional groupings' can do what communities up and down the country to - organise, fundraise and help themselves by building schools literally and metaphorically from the ground up.

If there's one thing we do not need it's more schools!
    We've more schools per capita than almost any other country in Europe and every one of them requires a principal, a vice principal and a huge amount of state funding to keep them going.

We need investment to expand existing schools and consolidation of duplicated schools i.e. where you've say boys, girls, catholic v1, catholic v2, protestant, etc etc. in the same town/suburb they should really form a single unit (even if keeping the existing buildings for the moment) and have a single management structure operating the whole thing thus minimising overheads and allowing for things like smaller class sizes.

We've the most fragmented education system you could possibly imagine and it has HUGE amounts of overheads largely due to the fact that you need a very expensive principal and all the management structures in very small institutions.

We need more voluntary groups building more schools like we need a hole in the head! There's a hell of a lot more to a school than 4 walls and some blackboards.

In fact, consolidating urban schools would lead to a situation where we could even invest more in small rural schools where the geographic spread would require them.

I'd rather see funding for schools in remote areas than seeing 8 or 9 schools in one suburb of Cork, Dublin or whatever.

Sorry for going OT, but that whole situation of endless fragmentation of services here really annoys the hell out of me. There's absolutely no joined-up thinking in Ireland on education or health, it's all about sectional interests getting their own way and spending vast amounts of state money for no logical reason to achieve poorer results than a better planned system at hugely increased cost.

You've a choice between : more schools of every type you can possibly think of all run down and struggling
    or : more education i.e. teachers, schools in rural areas where they're needed, libraries, support services etc.

The budget doesn't stretch infinitely both ways. We need to make some actual decisions on whether we want to just keep pandering to sectional / vested interests or actually run public service in the interests of the greater good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Any drop in premium first world standards does not automatically make an economy a third world economy.

But if you insist on that analogy - we already are a third world economy, but we can mask over that by borrowing huge amounts of money to keep the fires burning. Many third world countries did likewise, with about a decade of unsustainable borrowing to fund a reasonably high standard of living, then spending the rest of eternity crippled by that debt.

So let's live within our means now, however difficult that might be (and no, it won't set us back to the level of a developing economy) and recover rather than pretend that nothing is wrong and commit the country to a debt burden which we cannot realistically hope to repay any time soon.

I agree that spending and income have to be better matched, over time.

The notion of an overnight adjustment somehow being the cure for the whole economy is just simplistic.

The "austerity" we are currently inflicting is damaging enough without completly knocking people flat. Maybe in the major urban centres there is sufficient work available, but in rural Ireland unemployment is rife, employment oppertunities have evaporated.

What OP suggested would create an even wider gulf between those lucky enough to have work and those unfortunite to have none. The unemployed would be driven into a survivalist mode, many turning to the black markets, many to crime.

Advertisement