Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Ban on E-Cigs?

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Highly addictive, yes - dangerous, also true, although not more than many other substances:

Drug_danger_and_dependence.png

Death directly from nicotine poisoning is very rare, though. A couple of individuals who smoked vast numbers of cigarettes for bets or in competitions is all I'm aware of.

However, I don't think one can just wave away the issue that you're allowing companies to sell a highly addictive substance, and one where there is a well-established, ubiquitously available, and highly dangerous alternative delivery system.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Actually neither as addictive or dangerous as it's made out to be. Nicotine also has benefits in brain function.

Remember all these claims come from a time when nicotine was only available in combination with smoke. The health lobby thought it an acceptable lie to exaggerate the adictivness and toxicity of nicotine. If it lead to people becoming negative towards nicotine then it would lead to negativity to smoking.

The propaganda went on so long that the problem is now seen as not smoking but nicotine addiction.

Yes theirs lobbying from vested interests, pharma needs smokers to buy both it's nrt and chemo, this alone doesn't account for the massive resistance to ecigs though. It the years of producing a pavlovian response to anything that looks like smoking that's driving the hesitation to embrace ecigs for what they are a safe recreational nicotine system.

Anyway a bit from the topic at hand, the EU TPD and what needs to be done about it.
    Once the TPD is rubber stamped by the council it will be EU law and must be implemented in member state legislation within 2 years. Until a member state enacts legislation, their can't be a legal challenge.
    In the meantime the EU European Citizens' Initiative, a mechanism provided by the EU that allows its concerned citizens to express their common opinion on how the European Parliament should approach certain subjects allows a process that can challenge this if 7 states can produce enough support.
    It's all we have so get your friends, family, strangers on the bus, anyone at all who has an email addy. I am taking it for granted you have already signed it your self.
    Sign here; https://ec.europa.eu/citizens-initiative/REQ-ECI-2013-000024/public/signup.do
    And read all about it here; http://www.efvi.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I look forward to EU candidates calling to my door to ask them about this. My first question will be to ask why e-cigs are included in a Tobacco Products Directive.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

The only possible way that ecigs will ever become a gateway to smoking ,ironically is if they ban ecigs (which could happen at any time remember if 3 or more EU states bans them) or if they regulate them down to the useless ineffective standards of the woeful patches,gum,lozenger etc.

I got my dad started on a cigalike he has been a 40 a day smoker for 51 years, he didnt start with the intention of quitting cigs only wanted to cut down.

He hasnt touched a fag since sat, not even remotely tempted, i know how good the ecigs are but even im impressed .

The fags are not as satisfying as the ecig,more harmful more expensive less socially tolerable , only a fool who started vaping (traditionally this person would have become a smoker instead) would decide to take up smoking .

Can ecigs become a gateway to smoking ? ONLY if you ban them you F#'#'#/#/##'#'']IN IMBECILE

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

ardle1 wrote: »
    We can wave away whatever we like, and we'r waving away the filthy numerous disease causing, cancer killing chemicals that come with the tobacco cigarette nicotine 'delivery system'.....

Not from the perspective of people who've spent years fighting smoking you're not.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

masonchat wrote: »
    The only possible way that ecigs will ever become a gateway to smoking ,ironically is if they ban ecigs (which could happen at any time remember if 3 or more EU states bans them) or if they regulate them down to the useless ineffective standards of the woeful patches,gum,lozenger etc.

I got my dad started on a cigalike he has been a 40 a day smoker for 51 years, he didnt start with the intention of quitting cigs only wanted to cut down.

He hasnt touched a fag since sat, not even remotely tempted, i know how good the ecigs are but even im impressed .

The fags are not as satisfying as the ecig,more harmful more expensive less socially tolerable , only a fool who started vaping (traditionally this person would have become a smoker instead) would decide to take up smoking .

Can ecigs become a gateway to smoking ? ONLY if you ban them you F#'#'#/#/##'#'']IN IMBECILE

Sure - and even if you do believe it's a gateway, it would make more sense to ban smoking entirely, which would prevent vaping being a gateway to smoking rather more effectively than the other way round.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 fayvirtue

I don't really see the problem. It definitely is safer, no bothersome second hand smoke and is not a gateway for people to start smoking real harmful cigarettes !

I was in Canada and Jamaica last year and they have banned e-cig from all public places including the beach - Ridiculous !

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

fayvirtue wrote: »
    I was in Canada and Jamaica last year and they have banned e-cig from all public places including the beach - Ridiculous !
    Shocking how nazi some places are getting (about more than just vaping).
    Whats next? No tee shirts allowed on the bus? No helping old ladies across the street?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Didihno wrote: »
    Shocking how nazi some places are getting (about more than just vaping).
    Whats next? No tee shirts allowed on the bus? No helping old ladies across the street?

Feeding the homeless! http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/27299-why-did-fort-lauderdale-police-arrest-an-old-man-for-feeding-homeless-people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yeah that Ft. Lauterdale thing is a blooming disgrace!

• Advertisement

It's another case of government sticking their nose into everything - yikes !

Advertisement