Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monsanto Wins World Food Prize

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Can they genetically modify a cross between gooseberry, blackcurrant and rhubarb jam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Hownowcow

Genetically modified crops. Nyom nyom nyom nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Indian farmers are committing suicide hand over fist because Monsanto has driven them to it. An absolutely heinous and sinister corporation that is trying to monopolise agriculture on this planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Can they genetically modify a cross between gooseberry, blackcurrant and rhubarb jam?

Yeah but it won't beat good old fashioned strawberry jam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

GM food is the way of the future. Like it or not our growing population needs a higher level of produce to sustain itself.
    Indian farmers are committing suicide hand over fist because Monsanto has driven them to it. An absolutely heinous and sinister corporation that is trying to monopolise agriculture on this planet.
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

People should Google it, using, err google. ahem. Gotta love big corporations. They are soo nice. Also, IWASFROZEN, you're wrong. On so many levels it's not right.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    GM food is the way of the future. Like it or not our growing population needs a higher level of produce to sustain itself.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And a higher level of food distribution. The world produces more than enough food to feed the current population as it is.

People should Google it, using, err google. ahem. Gotta love big corporations. They are soo nice. Also, IWASFROZEN, you're wrong. On so many levels it's not right.
    What's not right? We've been genetically modifying our food for thousands of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

They don't have to use Monsanto products though...

LizT wrote: »
    Yeah but it won't beat good old fashioned strawberry jam.

Would in a fair fight :p

• Advertisement

And a higher level of food distribution. The world produces more than enough food to feed the current population as it is.
    Not to a high enough level. We want to fill the world with Americas and Europes were everyone has food to throw away. Adequacy should not be our goal as a species.

Not to a high enough level. We want to fill the world with Americas and Europes were everyone has food to throw away. Adequacy should not be our goal as a species.

Do we? I must be getting soft and liberal and **** in my old age.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

As long as she'll fit into the saucepan tis all good.

Do we? I must be getting soft and liberal and **** in my old age.
    Certainly. "What we have is enough" is not an option. It's fine for now but what happens when the world population is 20 billion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

We want to fill the world with Americas and Europes were everyone has food to throw away.

How depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

The corporations are trying to implement the genetic equivalent of DRM on crops.

Certainly. "What we have is enough" is not an option. It's fine for now but what happens when the population is 20 billion?

Square pigs.:p

Square pigs.:p
    haha, GM food can make it happen folks! :D

How depressing.
    Food abundance is depressing? Or were you talking about me filling the world full of Americas? I didn't mean culturally I mean economically. Every country should have an abundance of food.

Food abundance is depressing? Or were you talking about me filling the world full of Americas? I didn't mean culturally I mean economically. Every country should have an abundance of food.

It's depressing that people like you are so twisted by libertarian and right-wing propaganda that you think that turning the entire planet into a hyper-consumerist, resource gobbling, environment degrading dystopia is a desirable goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What's not right? We've been genetically modifying our food for thousands of years.

We haven't been patenting them and suing over that patent for thousands of years though.

osarusan wrote: »
    We haven't been patenting them and suing over that patent for thousands of years though.
    We've been killing, pillaging and burning storehouses though, since we were able to do it. I just can't see GM being the devil people want it to be. Agriculture itself is GM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 nmop_apisdn

Can sustain at least 12 Billion without GM.
    No we haven't
    They don't have to use Monsanto products though...
    I think Monsanto has seed Monopoly there.
    Certainly. "What we have is enough" is not an option. It's fine for now but what happens when the world population is 20 billion?
    Never gonna happen. Nature or a few corporations will make sure of that.

9.6B by 2050 current estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I just can't see GM being the devil people want it to be. Agriculture itself is GM.

My issue isn't with GM itself so much as the patenting of what is modified/engineered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the obvious solution would be to not let it get that high. But that would require countires taking responsibility for their populations, no one bar China even bothers as yet.
    No we haven't

we have though, to date its been selective breeding rather than direct manipulation of genes but it's basically just the next step in the same process.

the obvious solution would be to not let it get that high. But that would require countires taking responsibility for their populations, no one bar China even bothers as yet.
    And they continue to make an absolute mess of it. Preference for male children has created gender number imbalance of 20+ million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Can sustain at least 12 Billion without GM.

No we haven't

I think Monsanto has seed Monopoly there.

Never gonna happen. Nature or a few corporations will make sure of that.

9.6B by 2050 current estimate.

We actually have been gm'ing crops for years. Cross pollination of corn crops to produce more hardy corn, higher produce yield, more resistant to extremes and disease.

We also use genetics to modify our milk. Cross breeding cows to give the best milk is common practice.

we have though, to date its been selective breeding rather than direct manipulation of genes but it's basically just the next step in the same process.
    Hersheys wrote: »
    We actually have been gm'ing crops for years. Cross pollination of corn crops to produce more hardy corn, higher produce yield, more resistant to extremes and disease.

We also use genetics to modify our milk. Cross breeding cows to give the best milk is common practice.
    The crosses made nowadays in the lab would never happen in the wild. It's different. I'd like to see more trial time and the removal of the (widely reported as unsafeharmful) pesticide producing plant varieties gone.

http://earthopensource.org/index.php/1-the-genetic-engineering-technique/1-1-myth-genetic-engineering-is-just-an-extension-of-natural-breeding

In the west we have people dying young from obesity related illness, huge quantities of food being routinely thrown in the bin, billions spent on fine dining, billions more spent on sugary drinks, burgers and fries..

OMG we're running out of food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

And they continue to make an absolute mess of it. Preference for male children has created gender number imbalance of 20+ million.

at least they're trying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement