Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you get your JC results?

Options
  • 17-06-2013 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I know they're in an envelope and there are generally Gardaí around but that's about it. I have this image of people going up in lines like the Hunger Games at the Reaping xD so do we all get them together in the same hall or? (in my school it's the gym).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 l.n98

I hear youre basically handed an envelope in a hall and thats it really

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Imaginary Friend

l.n98 wrote: »
    I hear youre basically handed an envelope in a hall and thats it really

I heard someone was being given theirs in private or something. Hmm. Ok, sssh overactive imagination. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 l.n98

well it actually depends on what the school does. were just handed an envelope in my school

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

a) You can get them online at 4pm on the day.
    b) You are handed the certificate enclosed in an envelope in school.
    c) A teacher might spill it out before hand on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Trait

"spill it out" hahaha
    This post is correct though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

Does that mean teachers get to see the results before you?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

In my school we sat in the assembly hall, got a speech about "how we all did our best and that's all that matters" etc then they were handed out, we opened them when we sat down then compared with each other and went home.

It's incredibly anti-climatic

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

I just went into the school hall and was given the envelope, opened it up and there were my results.

Then it was drinking time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

onlinenerd wrote: »
    Does that mean teachers get to see the results before you?:eek:

yes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not all the teachers do. The ones who help with the preparation of the envelopes do. The results arrive in a bundle and need to be put in the envelopes, which need to have names/stickers put on them.

A few checks need to be done to make sure there haven't been results given for subjects you didn't enter etc., or that all components have been added.

It's not really 'looking' at the results, it's more scanning them. We don't really have time to study them until afterwards, when the master sheet (with numbers, not names) is copied and left in the staffroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭KatieG6

I hate the idea of 'comparing' results with others :( I'm scared I'll do bad while everyone else comes out with good results and say they didn't study when they clearly did :P

The thing is, I think I'm going to do well, and I do deserve it after actually working all through 2nd Year like everyone else, plus the tested intelligence . . . But I'm terrible at hiding emotions, so if I get disappointed everyone will know about it and I'll be really embarrassed! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Emlie

We got ours around 8.45, just before school begins. Basically we just lined up and the principal handed our results to us (in the envelope) shook our hands and said well done. Then we just hang around in the hall and chat about for a while. Ofcourse we could leave straight after if we wanted! We then got the rest of the day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

KatieG6 wrote: »
    I hate the idea of 'comparing' results with others :( I'm scared I'll do bad while everyone else comes out with good results and say they didn't study when they clearly did :P

If people make fun or look down on you because of exam results you don't want to associate yourself with them. As long as you're happy and know you did your best then what someone else thinks is futile.

Anyway, it's over now and enjoy your summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

In my school I think that all the former 3rd years go into the assembly, they're handed the envelopes and they all open them at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

I don't anything about it in my school. I just hear really loud screaming every year at around 10 a.m.

In my school there's always an announcement for certain TY/5th Yr classes to leave the classroom and then everyone rushes out of the school at once to the gym :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

We get ours in the post, our teachers don't want us anywhere near the school on results day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Colourmebright

Okay, I've done my Junior Cert, and I know what goes on, so here :)

It's usually around half 9 in the morning, you'll be told the day before by your school, and it's usually in a sports hall. I know mine is that you, along with one parent, queued up and went in to collect your results from the principal where you were congratulated. You don't necessarily have to open them there in front of them, but I know for me, the anticipation got to me and I read the first three results in there :) They are handed to you in a brown envelope with your name and address on the front of it. After that, your school may wish to take a photo of you with your results, but after that, you're free to leave :)

Otherwise, your school should of given you a sheet from the department with a pin number, this allows you to view your results online at home, at 4pm by entering your exam number and your pin :)

It usually is around the second/third week of September :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

Just handed in a envelope.

• Advertisement

Okay, I've done my Junior Cert, and I know what goes on, so here :)

It's usually around half 9 in the morning, you'll be told the day before by your school, and it's usually in a sports hall. I know mine is that you, along with one parent, queued up and went in to collect your results from the principal where you were congratulated. You don't necessarily have to open them there in front of them, but I know for me, the anticipation got to me and I read the first three results in there :) They are handed to you in a brown envelope with your name and address on the front of it. After that, your school may wish to take a photo of you with your results, but after that, you're free to leave :)

Otherwise, your school should of given you a sheet from the department with a pin number, this allows you to view your results online at home, at 4pm by entering your exam number and your pin :)

It usually is around the second/third week of September :)

Thanks! I think it's the 11th this year? Do you really bring a parent??

It's a good idea to give the rest of the day off, in case people get upset!

Thanks! I think it's the 11th this year? Do you really bring a parent??

I know in my school we had to, but every school is different :) You'll be told a day or two in advance :) Most schools like a parent to be there to share in such a big day in there child's life and to make sure the child tells them, yano? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

My school do it differently. Instead we have to wait the whole day to get ours: at the last class. We have an assembly, principal and couple of teachers have speeches saying how well we did, keep doing the same for the Leaving blah blah blah, all while lined up in our Junior Cert classes. Then our form tutors call out our names and hand out our envelopes. The rest goes like a blur, usually you're just seeing how everyone else got on, most people are delighted and then those who didn't do too well just slip away. No one really cares about how bad you do at all.

And for whoever mentioned it, Gardaí most certainly don't go to the school :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

In our school the people get called like last class of the day to the main hall of the school, they get their results and are then let off home early. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

What do you mean by this? What happened to EU privacy regulations??

Tomrota wrote: »

The school gets your results before you. A general overall list of names and grades on a chart. Only teachers are allowed access this. It's usually in the staff room. But they're not allowed discuss it with any student but yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Tomrota wrote: »

Data protection is bull**** in a small country like Ireland IMO.

I agree, they should just correlate names to exam numbers on the closed envelope, but I think they have to check to see if the results are yours/are correct? So it's probably a necessary evil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Data protection is bull**** in a small country like Ireland IMO.

I agree, they should just correlate names to exam numbers on the closed envelope, but I think they have to check to see if the results are yours/are correct? So it's probably a necessary evil.

The individual results don't come in a closed envelope. The school have to put them in envelopes. It's the same with the Leaving.

When they are given out in a school can depend on whether someone from the school has gone up at 6am to the local delivery office, or whether they are waiting on the An Post delivery.

In our place, we call all the previous 3rd years down from class and give the results out just before the 'small break' so that they can be gone from the building before the other years come down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Hello 1996

We had to wait until 1:30 to get ours! :L We were called into the office one by one and our results were read out to us by the principal who would make a comment after each one. They also tell you your general position in the year-results wise! :) Once you came out, everyone would run up to you and ask how you did :P

Advertisement