Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Figures on non-EU workers in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-06-2013 10:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

Myself and a friend in the pub last night got into a discussion about non-EU people living and working in Ireland. He came across with a story that Ireland has to allow a certain amount of non-EU people into the country every year. I know that, since Ireland is in the European Union, anyone from a member state can move to another member state and live there. What I don't know is that Ireland had to allow anybody else the right to come here to work, and here is where we got bogged down into an argument.

He said that we allow thousands of Brazilian and Chinese people into Ireland every year on 'student visa's' but that these students (learning the English language here presumably) can also work for 2 years in Ireland. I have noticed for example in recent years a lot of Brazilian people living here, especially in Dublin, but sure if they'd want to come to this rain-soaked place, fair play. J's argument though was that really we are just letting these people in as temporary workers and that we shouldn't allow them to work, especially as Irish people are leaving Ireland in record numbers to seek employment elsewhere.

So, AH, is my friend right? Does Ireland permit student visa's that you can then use to work here? And does anyone have any idea how many of these we give out every year? My friend thinks we give these out for free but I did a Under-35 work visa in Canada a few years ago and there were a few costs associated with it so I said it's not free. Is it free?

And ultimately, do you think we should allow non-EU workers into Ireland when many people are being forced to emigrate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.icosirl.ie/eng/student_information/working_in_ireland
    Can I work while studying in Ireland?
    Students from the EEA - All nationals from the European Economic Area (EEA) are free to take up employment in Ireland while studying.

Students from outside the EEA - At present, students attending a full time course of at least one year's duration leading to a qualification recognised by the Minister for Education and Science are entitled to take up casual employment (defined as up to 20 hours part time work per week or full time work during normal college vacation periods). The course of study must be listed on the internationalisation register of recognised courses maintained on behalf of the Department of Education. Access to employment is denied to all other students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Why do some Brazilian women sound like men?

They are not men and don't seem to have taken androgens but they sound like they do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Why do some Brazilian women sound like men?

They are not men and don't seem to have taken androgens but they sound like they do.

I have no idea what you are talking aboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Augmerson wrote: »
    Myself and a friend in the pub last night got into a discussion about non-EU people living and working in Ireland. He came across with a story that Ireland has to allow a certain amount of non-EU people into the country every year. I know that, since Ireland is in the European Union, anyone from a member state can move to another member state and live there. What I don't know is that Ireland had to allow anybody else the right to come here to work, and here is where we got bogged down into an argument.

He said that we allow thousands of Brazilian and Chinese people into Ireland every year on 'student visa's' but that these students (learning the English language here presumably) can also work for 2 years in Ireland. I have noticed for example in recent years a lot of Brazilian people living here, especially in Dublin, but sure if they'd want to come to this rain-soaked place, fair play. J's argument though was that really we are just letting these people in as temporary workers and that we shouldn't allow them to work, especially as Irish people are leaving Ireland in record numbers to seek employment elsewhere.

So, AH, is my friend right? Does Ireland permit student visa's that you can then use to work here? And does anyone have any idea how many of these we give out every year? My friend thinks we give these out for free but I did a Under-35 work visa in Canada a few years ago and there were a few costs associated with it so I said it's not free. Is it free?

And ultimately, do you think we should allow non-EU workers into Ireland when many people are being forced to emigrate?

Rubbish. My partner is Brazilian. Do you know how long we have been waiting for her visa application to be processed? She will not be allowed to work properly until that is granted, but when she does, she will bring as much to the table as any Irish person. Between college fees, health insurance, general living she has put far more into our economy than she has taken out of it. She is entitled to nothing, but she is happy with that.

And on a personal note, I like having the Brazilians around - far more sunny disposition than the moaning, whingeing Irish, always complaining about the weather and foreigners, and people stealing the jobs that nobody wanted before 2008...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

We have to let non eu nationals in to the country, we are then obliged to give them a free house, car with taxi plate and free pushchairs so they can abandon them at bus stops.

• Advertisement

We have to let non eu nationals in to the country, we are then obliged to give them a free house, car with taxi plate and free pushchairs so they can abandon them at bus stops.

Generalise much? Must go home and ask my girlfriend where she is hiding the free stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Barracuda1

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Rubbish. My partner is Brazilian. Do you know how long we have been waiting for her visa application to be processed? She will not be allowed to work properly until that is granted, but when she does, she will bring as much to the table as any Irish person. Between college fees, health insurance, general living she has put far more into our economy than she has taken out of it. She is entitled to nothing, but she is happy with that.

And on a personal note, I like having the Brazilians around - far more sunny disposition than the moaning, whingeing Irish, always complaining about the weather and foreigners, and people stealing the jobs that nobody wanted before 2008...

Fair play couldn't agree with you more. I've noticed alot of eastern europeans in my neck of the woods and they are okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mcwinning

You are totally right about Brazilians, they are a breath of fresh air to be around. I worked with quite a few and it seems to be a rule that they are warm, kind and have a great attitude to life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Myself and a friend in the pub last night got into a discussion about non-EU people living and working in Ireland. He came across with a story that Ireland has to allow a certain amount of non-EU people into the country every year.
    That's not true. We are under no obligation to meet an immigration quota, the fact is that we permit - and even seek - immigrants for our own economic and societal interests.
    He said that we allow thousands of Brazilian and Chinese people into Ireland every year on 'student visa's' but that these students (learning the English language here presumably) can also work for 2 years in Ireland.
    No they can't. They can work for 3 months during their holiday period from education. During the educational term, they can only work part time. There is no 2 year rule.
    My friend thinks we give these out for free
    They're not free. They costa few hundred quid. And the student has to have €7000 cash in a bank account in their name to meet the costs of living here. GNIB are strict on this.
    Yes we don't have all the skills we need, like IT, or else we can't afford to employ those Irish employees with the skills we need in the State sector, especially in the areas of medicine, nursing, and auxiliary services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Generalise much? Must go home and ask my girlfriend where she is hiding the free stuff.

He is taking the pìss. The old myth story on AH was Nigerian woman who couldn't get her pram on the bus. She left it at the bus stop because the welfare would give her a new one on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

He is taking the pìss. The old myth story on AH was Nigerian woman who couldn't get her pram on the bus. She left it at the bus stop because the welfare would give her a new one on Monday.

The welfare do not just give you a new one, you have to apply for a refund for having bought one yourself and provide receipts and paperwork for the purchase, they will give you a percentage back and it must be under a certain cost. Maybe back in the boom we were going mad with this, but these days there are strict rules that dictate how much people get. I have had to queue once or twice to see my CWO and I have seen others with their paperwork and receipts ready so they could get assistance for buggies or pushchairs, none of which I would ever have called "top of the range" either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

mcwinning wrote: »
    You are totally right about Brazilians, they are a breath of fresh air to be around. I worked with quite a few and it seems to be a rule that they are warm, kind and have a great attitude to life.

They are all just a lovely bunch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

In fairness if you read my post you'd see I have nothing against Brazilian people. Brazilian people were just used as an example. If the economy allowed it, I wish we could open the country up to far more people from the rest of the world because I think Ireland has been too insular for far too long but its a bit much to suggest we (Irish) are all moaning, whinging and complaining. Over generalise much? Yes. I guess you just took it very personally because your moh is a Brazilian.

In fairness if you read my post you'd see I have nothing against Brazilian people. Brazilian people were just used as an example. If the economy allowed it, I wish we could open the country up to far more people from the rest of the world because I think Ireland has been too insular for far too long but its a bit much to suggest we (Irish) are all moaning, whinging and complaining. Over generalise much? Yes. I guess you just took it very personally because your moh is a Brazilian.

Of course I took it personally, it was personal to me because my girlfriend is Brazilian. I'm Irish and have been living here for 29 years and I can honestly say in my opinion (whether you think it too much or otherwise) we spend anawful lot of time complaining about things.

drdeadlift wrote: »
    They are all just a lovely bunch

Fierce temper though :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    The welfare do not just give you a new one, you have to apply for a refund for having bought one yourself and provide receipts and paperwork for the purchase, they will give you a percentage back and it must be under a certain cost. Maybe back in the boom we were going mad with this, but these days there are strict rules that dictate how much people get. I have had to queue once or twice to see my CWO and I have seen others with their paperwork and receipts ready so they could get assistance for buggies or pushchairs, none of which I would ever have called "top of the range" either.

That's why he said it was a myth

Of course I took it personally, it was personal to me because my girlfriend is Brazilian. I'm Irish and have been living here for 29 years and I can honestly say in my opinion (whether you think it too much or otherwise) we spend anawful lot of time complaining about things.
    In my opinion some of us appear to be absolutely dying for a chance to be offended.

In my opinion some of us appear to be absolutely dying for a chance to be offended.

You ought to work on that, wont get you anywhere :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I believe last year the meat production sector brought in 3000 Brazilian on visas to work here as they couldn't find Irish people to work in processing plants here ,

Gatling wrote: »
    I believe last year the meat production sector brought in 3000 Brazilian on visas to work here as they couldn't find Irish people to work in processing plants here ,

Yup, in Gort I think, though I am not sure about the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You forgot about them eating swans as well:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

a whole "one or twice" huh - what has the country come to that people have to queue up for free stuff for their kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

mariaalice wrote: »
    You forgot about them eating swans as well:D

It makes me sick dat sum of me dole money is goin toeards dose forinners becoz day r all saviges!

It makes me sick dat sum of me dole money is goin toeards dose forinners becoz day r all saviges!
    cumin in 'ere takin' our bleedin jobs

(the ones we wouldnt do anyway) :rolleyes:

a whole "one or twice" huh - what has the country come to that people have to queue up for free stuff for their kids

I have never went to the SW for "free stuff" for my kids. I depended on family (loaning me the few hundred for a cotbed and me paying them back) and myself to pay for my kids things. But I have went to the CWO for other matters and there are many people struggling, many with part-time or low income jobs that require their assistance too so don't just assume ;). Children need the basics, I am not saying give them all free top of the range stuff, just assist those who need help and make sure they don't take the mick!

I have never went to the SW for "free stuff" for my kids. I depended on family (loaning me the few hundred for a cotbed and me paying them back) and myself to pay for my kids things. But I have went to the CWO for other matters and there are many people struggling, many with part-time or low income jobs that require their assistance too so don't just assume ;). Children need the basics, I am not saying give them all free top of the range stuff, just assist those who need help and make sure they don't take the mick!

When i was a kid - 4 of us slept in the one bed and most likely my parents could have go to some welfare place but had too much pride. Kids can sleep on the floor ok - or perhaps they could sleep in their free prams

Gatling wrote: »

last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yes because people have never struggled in this country and have had to get help before. Ever. It's only since the recession and people's sense of entitlement that has people doing this. Country is going to dogs so it is.

When i was a kid - 4 of us slept in the one bed and most likely my parents could have go to some welfare place but had too much pride. Kids can sleep on the floor ok - or perhaps they could sleep in their free prams

And they can eat the leftovers from the tables of the rich if they feel charittable and be educated with no shoes on because sure back in the middle ages you seldom had feet never mind shoes to put on them! ;) Welcome the the 21st Century, a time where basic human rights are available to most and a bed to sleep on at night is plentiful!

• Advertisement

Yes because people have never struggled in this country and have had to get help before. Ever. It's only since the recession and people's sense of entitlement that has people doing this. Country is going to dogs so it is.

The audacity of them!!!!!!! And I bet they never worked a day in their life, straight onto the single mothers at 13 sure!!!!

Advertisement