Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help building the jewel to my man cave

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,544 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Calhoun wrote: »
    how did you guys explain to your partners why you needed it ?

'hey, look what I'm buying!'

'cool!'

If it doesnt go like that then I can't help you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Next question, I won't be building for a year at least this will be an on going project if I get it before the house how did you guys explain to your partners why you needed it ?

Plant the seeds as early as possible on how much you want one, show her the occasional picture to show your still interested and then wait till after you've got her something nice and start talking about it.

I was lucky, our anniversary was on 3 days before fathers day and she forgot presents for both so she's trying to make it up and is TELLING me get one :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Next question, I won't be building for a year at least this will be an on going project if I get it before the house how did you guys explain to your partners why you needed it ?

:confused:

If you're paying for it then there's no explaining to do.

yep
    what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Andrew76 wrote: »
    :confused:

If you're paying for it then there's no explaining to do.

I didn't think it worked like that :) , I've been planting the seed I hope by end of summer to purchase so will need to keep planting :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

if I get it before the house how did you guys explain to your partners why you needed it ?

"Hey, there's that thing I bought out of my own money. Nice isn't it? I might get a second one at some stage, & put them in the games room of the house we both are going to own."

Or

"Yeah I know its big, but apparently size doesn't matter?"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My conversation with the wife when looking at another cab is usually along the lines of..

Me "Look at this cab for sale..good price"
    Her "That looks great"
    Me "Yeh we have no room for it though"
    Her pointing "we could it put it there, or move that cab there and put the new one there"

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah, I'm a Bray man myself. When I started the oul arcade cab journey I went with a woody for that very reason - Dawsons/Fun Palace etc.

Eventually got a bit sick of it though and decided to go for the slicker looking candies.

I've two but they aren't side by side at the moment unfortunately. :( still, first world problems, still actually have two cabs in the sitting room! :D

Super classy like

DSC_0274_zps8f0fee28.jpg

Length of time to connect to a PC? However long it takes you up wire the up the JPAC. It's not the most difficult thing in the world from what I believe so shouldn't be too difficult for ya - just do a bit of reading up and you'll be grand.

I see o1s1n you dont care too much for playing that piano :D

Those Cabs look very nice indeed, and don't take as much room up. What are they called and where would one get my hands on one.

Master of the Universe

That damn piano! Have tried a few times to get the landlords to remove it but they keep refusing to. Could fit a few more cabs in there...!

I got my two from Rklok in the Netherlands. They're older, full metal cabs, so are a bit harder to come across than more modern candy cabs. Tend to be a bit more expensive too dependant on what model you're after.

The one on the left is an SNK candy 25. The one on the right is a Jaleco Pony III 25.

Smaller monitors than the more modern ones too as that was the way with older Japanese cabs (25 inches rather than 29). Means the machines can have a smaller footprint though...also 15k looks great at 25 inches, so I'm more than happy with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭djsim101

Cheers for the info dude, what would be the ball park figure you reckon?

Just googled RKlOK, price not bad, not bad, not bad at all.

http://www.rklok.com/Shop/Arcade/item.php?item=16

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

djsim101 wrote: »
    Cheers for the info dude, what would be the ball park figure you reckon?

Just googled RKlOK, price not bad, not bad, not bad at all.

http://www.rklok.com/Shop/Arcade/item.php?item=16

Yeah that's his site, Astro's like the one in that link can be had cheap enough. Just to note that the monitor on that one has some screen burn, so you may want to pay extra to get one without.

Atomiswaves, Egret IIIs and other 29 inch cabs tend to go for between €600-€800 or thereabouts on average. They're handy enough to source in Japan so never really go for crazy money. The one to note being the Egret II as it has a rotate mechanism on the monitor (sells for about €1000)

The rarer older ones (most of which have smaller screens) Like the Jaleco Pony 25 or 18, Capcom Cute, Neo Geo SC-19 go for €1000+ (in some cases, heavy on the '+'!). Plus there's a waiting list for some of them too due to how scarce they are. (I was chasing my Pony III for 6 months to a year)

Have a look through the arcade otaku Wiki page of all the different candy cabs and see if one takes you fancy. Then figure out how available it is :)

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/List_of_Candy_Cabinets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah tell me about it, I'd nearly get teary eyed walking along Bray seafront seeing all the places which used to have arcades in them gone. :(

Seeing Dawsons torn down (as ugly as it was) was not a nice experience!

Regarding PCs, it really depends what cab you go with. I think most folks disassemble them and mount the components on a wooden board. You might fit a small PC inside an Atomiswave - however I'd say you'd probably run the risk of it overheating if it wasn't removed from the case.

Its a real shame Dawsons is gone. We used to go down there latest eighties early nineties and it was great. not a care in the world and you always some sawing awesome and that only could be in the arcade...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭gflood

keithgeo wrote: »
    My conversation with the wife when looking at another cab is usually along the lines of..

Me "Look at this cab for sale..good price"
    Her "That looks great"
    Me "Yeh we have no room for it though"
    Her pointing "we could it put it there, or move that cab there and put the new one there"

:cool:

Jesus H ... how did you find such a fine woman ???

Advertisement