Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google work experince?

Options
  • 15-06-2013 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Did anyone do any work experince at Google? What do you do there? :p Would they even accept work experince offers?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

They do accept work experience students in Google(1 week I think). You won't really be doing any work, it'll be like a 1 week tour where they tell you about careers in IT, get to talk to people who work there and you'll get like some little project or something.

I tried to get work experience in Google when I was in TY but as far as I knew then, you had to know somebody there. So I went with Microsoft. It's extremely hard to get into but if you're interested in that see this thread. It's not open yet for next year I think.

Both are realy good fun if you have any interest in computers or just technology in general.

But last year, a friend of mine in TY did work experience in Google and I don't think he knew anybody there. I could ask him for you later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    They do accept work experience students in Google(1 week I think). You won't really be doing any work, it'll be like a 1 week tour where they tell you about careers in IT, get to talk to people who work there and you'll get like some little project or something.

I tried to get work experience in Google when I was in TY but as far as I knew then, you had to know somebody there. So I went with Microsoft. It's extremely hard to get into but if you're interested in that see this thread. It's not open yet for next year I think.

Both are realy good fun if you have any interest in computers or just technology in general.

But last year, a friend of mine in TY did work experience in Google and I don't think he knew anybody there. I could ask him for you later.
    Oh alright, thanks for the information! :D What do you do in microsoft? I heard there are over 400 appliciants per year and only about 70 get accepted.

Oh alright, thanks for the information! :D What do you do in microsoft? I heard there are over 400 appliciants per year and only about 70 get accepted.

I think there were over 600 in 2011 and like 10% got accepted.

It's pretty much the same, tours, experience talking to people in different areas of IT, good food etc. etc.

I did it during my mid term and I'm still happy I did :)

I think there were over 600 in 2011 and like 10% got accepted.

It's pretty much the same, tours, experience talking to people in different areas of IT, good food etc. etc.

I did it during my mid term and I'm still happy I did :)
    Ah cool, did you mention it in your CV? XD

Oops sorry, I was going to get back to you on that.

I asked my friend and unfortunately it was arranged by the school for the student who got the highest JC result. Sorry Arnie.

I think it's more of a who you know thing and programme that works with certain schools.

• Advertisement

Oops sorry, I was going to get back to you on that.

I asked my friend and unfortunately it was arranged by the school for the student who got the highest JC result. Sorry Arnie.

I think it's more of a who you know thing and programme that works with certain schools.
    It's alright. I might have work experince with a Therapist arranged soon(friend of a friend), really interested in the Psychological field so this would be a huge win :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

I know my cousin knows someone from Google. I thought there would be stuff on Google's pages but there wasn't much for TY work experience.

My cousin works with IBM as a freelance though so I'll probably go there for a week, their work experience seems very similar to other companies too, you get to go round to different departments and spend a day with one of the employees.

All the companies like IBM, Google and Microsoft seem hard to get into though unfortunately. I tried looking around for game developers too but I could only find indie iOS ones which I don't really have an interest in, I know Bioware have offices in Ireland but they are just support...

Advertisement