Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scams you have fallen for

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

BQQ wrote: »
    Roma gypsy standing outside Tesco pleads with me to give him €5 for nappies for his baby.
    He looks genuinely desperate, tears welling in his eyes. :(
    Thoughts of poor baby screaming in his own faeces crosses my mind.
    I hand over the cash.

To my surprise, he doesn't immediately go into Tesco to buy them. :confused:
    He just thanks me and waits for me to walk on, his expression now a beaming smile.
    All his teeth are Gold.

F**k :mad:

Surely everybody by now knows about the Roma? How could anybody fall for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    You made an assumption, I clarified it, giving examples?

Yeah... example over kill (i fear for the person you says you are not from dublin) lol...
    So again, how is it a scam if somebody is selling something?

look, from my experience they aint simply selling. they are giving it to whole "please buy i am ... xxxx" spiel. Now, you refuse to believe that. Fine. That's your opinion. But you know what? just because you havent "seen" it doesnt make it fact ... i'm getting a really big vibe off you - the whole "i am right! you are wrong" thing ... So how about we just agree to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

You make a lot of assumptions. :)

You make a lot of assumptions. :)

Shame my assumptions seem to be correct :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Shame my assumptions seem to be correct :)

Your first one was incorrect, but you got a bit annoyed over that, so we'll leave it at that and let you assume what you like. :)

• Advertisement

Your first one was incorrect, but you got a bit annoyed over that, so we'll leave it at that and let you assume what you like. :)

Nice try ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

*gets popcorn...*fears he has missed the boat...*gets popcorn anyway cause its class

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I was in Cambodia earlier this year with 2 friends, doing the whole "Gap Yah" travelling around Southeast Asia for a couple of months. Anyway we were in Siem Reap/Angkor Wat (the Tomb Raider film was partly filmed there) and had a tuk-tuk guy be our guide for the day and he was very pleasant and helpful. When he dropped us back to the hostel he asked if we wanted to go to a "floating village" for sunset. We were wrecked as exploring ancient ruins in 38 degree can take it out of you so we said maybe tomorrow and said we'd meet him around 4ish, just trying to get a shower as soon as possible.

Anyway at about 3 the next day we remember our arrangement. Luckily/Unluckily one of the lads had potty issues :pac: so he stayed behind as myself and my friend met your man. The "floating village" was about 10km outside town so we cruised out with our tuk-tuk chauffeur and get to the docks. Our driver brings us up to the front of the counter, past other people queuing. Apparently it was $25 each for the boat ride out. We literally laughed in their faces at that. That could have bought us 50 bottles of beer each. Within 30 seconds we were after haggling it down to $20 in total, so $10 each. At this point we should have been skeptical at how quickly there was such a dramatic drop in price. We had walked out the door mid-way through negotiations but we got arrogant at our expertise and said we might as well.

They led us down the steps, past another queue and onto a boat. Nobody else on the boat except the driver and his assistant who proceeded to feed us sob stories about his sick father and how he didn't even get paid to go on the boat somedays. He was also in college by day, apparently. It took 30 minutes to chug out to the lake on this manky "death" water. Myself and my friend just gave each other the "we're fecking eejits" look. We arrive in this floating village which is about 100 meters from the coast where apparently 6,000 people live :eek: They lead us to a "community" building where we could buy rice for the local school. We knew full well the money wouldn't go there (we also only had $20 left between us and owed the tuk-tuk man 10, even if he was the scam instigator) so politely declined. Then we went to a "tourist shop" which had the same stuff as anywhere else at higher prices. So we walked around, smiled, took in the sunset view, of course it was cloudy :mad: and left. We were extremely pissed off at this stage and just went back and asked to go back. The assistant realised we weren't tipping him so didn't say another word as a friend of their's accompanied us back on our chartered boat, for free.

As we were getting off the boat she had the temerity to tell us to pay the driver having already paid $20 for 90 minutes work. It was dark at this stage so fearful of being abandoned with people who didn't particularly like us in the sticks of Cambodia we found our tuk-tuk driver and got back to the hostel only $30 out of pocket ($10 for tuk-tuk).

Also the lake was ONE meter deep. Those poor people living in such shocking conditions and probably only 1% of their 6000 population reaping the dividends.

At least our friend had an equally Sh!t day :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

space_man wrote: »
    2nd night in Bangkok. Met this lovely girl.
    back to the hotel .............
    (you know where this is going).

A cock and bull story?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

look, from my experience they aint simply selling. they are giving it to whole "please buy i am ... xxxx" spiel. Now, you refuse to believe that. Fine. That's your opinion. But you know what? just because you havent "seen" it doesnt make it fact ... i'm getting a really big vibe off you - the whole "i am right! you are wrong" thing ... So how about we just agree to differ.

But they are just selling something, how they convince you to buy a rose doesn't matter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭BQQ

Geuze wrote: »
    Surely everybody by now knows about the Roma? How could anybody fall for that?

Was a long time ago. :o

Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Got to Siem Reap today. Tuk tuk driver told me it was 4bucks to get to my guesthouse. I laughed and said "Im foreign, not stupid" he agreed on 2 because it was kinda far and then took me to the wrong guesthouse (likely a mates). I calmly asked for the wifi pw and checked reviews for the place on my phone. Mediocre at best so I told the tuk tuk driver to take me to the place I wanted to go and when it came to pay I gave him 1.50 and firmly said this is doing well considering you didnt take me where I wanted. Its pointless to get angry over something 10 times more valuable to them than you, it REALLY is not worth making someone lose face in Asia.

Simply pay attention and keep your guard up. Once you get to know these people they can be the most hospitable people in the world. Problem is that so many people that come out here are such ignorant mugs that they deserve to be ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Myself and mt mrs got a phonecall one day from Royal Carribian saying we had one a cruise but we needed to give credit card details to confirm which she did.
    She then told me and I told her she just got scammed and I tried ringing back the number. When I finally got through the woman on the other end asked how I callled her as I shouldnt have been able to as it was a one way call system.

Anyway after ages of ringing round and threatening to cal the cops I got them to refund all monies taken and got herslef to canel that credit card and get a new one

Long story short, turns out the company was legit and I may have cost us a free holdiday:(

Although it wasnt supposed to be as good as it was made out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Normally I dont even read these emails, but the timing with this thread was too good:

Dear
    Greetings,
    How are you and your family?
    I am Mr. John Philips From South Africa, based in London United kingdom, in search for a reliable person who can handle my investment and also partner with in every aspect in your Country and also capable of handling the said investment without any problem.
    I am from a Political family in South Africa and my father is late, during his political tenure he has made his way out and able to secure some cash in his possession, amounted to $6.25 Million US Dollars (six million two hundred and fifty thousand US dollars).
    Meanwhile we are trying to avoid the South African Government inquiry about his tenure during the time he is in government (my father).
    The Fund will be transferred as a black money and later turn to white after several years of investment abroad.
    In view of this, i directed my cousin; whom is in your country in respect to this, to search for a better hand to handle the investment and also capable of handling the business without any problem.
    Best Regards.
    Mr John Philips

Seems legit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

Roma =/= Romanian.

USA, Brazil and Spain all have higher Roma populations than Romania.

Are they Romanians if they came here from Romania? Not too many Roma from the US or Brazil make it to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I got done for €300 for tickets on adverts. The bollix disappeared, never sent them. Managed to get his address and other details, got half the money back then he just disappeared altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Anyone wrote: »
    Normally I dont even read these emails, but the timing with this thread was too good:

Dear
    Greetings,
    How are you and your family?
    I am Mr. John Philips From South Africa, based in London United kingdom, in search for a reliable person who can handle my investment and also partner with in every aspect in your Country and also capable of handling the said investment without any problem.
    I am from a Political family in South Africa and my father is late, during his political tenure he has made his way out and able to secure some cash in his possession, amounted to $6.25 Million US Dollars (six million two hundred and fifty thousand US dollars).
    Meanwhile we are trying to avoid the South African Government inquiry about his tenure during the time he is in government (my father).
    The Fund will be transferred as a black money and later turn to white after several years of investment abroad.
    In view of this, i directed my cousin; whom is in your country in respect to this, to search for a better hand to handle the investment and also capable of handling the business without any problem.
    Best Regards.
    Mr John Philips

Seems legit.

I used to keep getting them too.
    I just kept asking them for naked pics and Ill give them a grand a pic when I collect my winnings, needless to say they stopped sending me those emails after a while. This works for both men and women, the men seem to be more offended though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Prodigious wrote: »
    I got done for €300 for tickets on adverts. The bollix disappeared, never sent them. Managed to get his address and other details, got half the money back then he just disappeared altogether.

You know where he lives and got only half the money back?!! Can you give us the full story?

Lucena wrote: »
    You know where he lives and got only half the money back?!! Can you give us the full story?

He was in an apartment and moved out. And he's a gambling addict and whatnot. He overdosed then on drugs a few weeks later, so I decided not to pursue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Prodigious wrote: »
    He was in an apartment and moved out. And he's a gambling addict and whatnot. He overdosed then on drugs a few weeks later, so I decided not to pursue it.

Ok, fair enough. I guess I'd have done the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Friend of mine from Meath was heading to Croker via Summerhill with his mate one Sunday and two young lads ran up to him and asked him if he wanted to buy an I-phone 4s for €100. They opened the bag and showed him a brand new phone in a box, so he said he'd take it and the young lad said he had another one if the friend wanted it, he'd give them the two for €180, they agreed and the young lad ran around the corner, came back with the same bag, opened it to show them the two boxes, took the €180 and told them to go quick in case the Gardai came. So the headed into Croker afraid of their lives, sat in their seats, opened the bag, and the two boxes - and found two brand new I-phone boxes stuffed with stones!

mockingjay wrote: »
    Friend of mine from Meath was heading to Croker via Summerhill with his mate one Sunday and two young lads ran up to him and asked him if he wanted to buy an I-phone 4s for €100. They opened the bag and showed him a brand new phone in a box, so he said he'd take it and the young lad said he had another one if the friend wanted it, he'd give them the two for €180, they agreed and the young lad ran around the corner, came back with the same bag, opened it to show them the two boxes, took the €180 and told them to go quick in case the Gardai came. So the headed into Croker afraid of their lives, sat in their seats, opened the bag, and the two boxes - and found two brand new I-phone boxes stuffed with stones!

Serves him right for buying robbed phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Was stung badly by a bee the other day ....

20 quid for a jar of honey ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Didn't happen to me, but this was a genuine email sent around to students of NUIM this year just gone
    A white Toyota Hiace was on campus yesterday, Wednesday 30th January between 11am and 12noon with two Irish males on board pretending to sell notebook pads. They did get 100euro from one student and gave him a case containing an argos catalogue.
    Made me laugh, tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Was gonna buy a car off a mate of mine.I said i'll get the money together and he suggested whilst he was gonna drive it around I put the car in my name. I thought **** it why not?

1 month later and I ended up owing E-flow about 250 euro :mad: and he didnt give two ****s about the situation.. I'm still pissed over that actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Scam in places in east Asia (maybe other places too) when your change is handed back to you.

The way they count banknotes here is different (see this video), and they secretly fold one note (or more) somewhere in the middle, so that even though they carefully count the correct number of notes right in front of you, they are actually counting one note twice.

So you think you are getting back 9 bank notes, but actually there are only 8 (or fewer, depending on the scam).

It happened to a friend of mine more than once in Korea, and when I went there I was insistent that they count the notes 'western style' for me. I don't know if they were ripping me off or not, but if they were they managed to slip in extra note(s) without me seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

When I was 16 (around 1995) I was robbed at knife-point by a scumbag on my way home from working in Superquinn one Saturday evening. I never forgot his face and even remember seeing him around on the Dart a few times over the years - he even sat beside me one time and laughed to me about it, as if I was his mate - real casual. And then he robbed my mate a few years later too. He wasn't afraid of getting caught or people knowing who he was - he told my mate he'd burn his house down if he ever called the Guards.

Then in 2001, he got his face smashed in by a hammer in St. Annes park. The Garda who dealt with my mugging years earlier actually called to let me know a few weeks after it happened.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2001/0402/raheny.html

Justice!! I giggled my f*cking ass off when I read it. (note that the original article used to have his picture - that archived version doesn't). I've attached it anyway - I kept the article on my PC.
    Attached Images
    image002.jpg (25.1 KB, 202 views)

Same guy was actually sentenced to 9yrs in 1999 so shouldn't have even been out of prison .

Advertisement