Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

started cycling back pain

Options
  • 14-06-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

today i went forxmy first majour cycle (for me) i hadent cycled really before and thought id might as wel go for it.
    the ride was 22 km and an hour after i feel good my legs are not sore but my back got slight pain on lower back
    what would the cause of this be to low of sadle or to high? oh i am over weight at 20 stone
    if it is the weight as i loose it wil the pain go away??
    and i donecthe cycle in 1hr 5 according to steave with and ave speed of 29 kmph is that good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's very difficult to diagnose back pain over the internet, besides which boards doesn't allow medical advice to be given.

Raising or lowering the saddle may make it better or worse, or cause other problems.

I'd suggest building up gradually, and if symptoms persist, consult a physio.

For sure, being overweight doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Maybe get a proper bike fit? A properly fitted bike will make it more likely you will keep cycling without injury, with weight & fitness benefits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

betterman wrote: »
    today i went for my first majour cycle (for me) i hadent cycled before
    It would be surprising if you didn't get some kind of pain. Cycle away for a while, but steady - forget about what is a 'good' speed. Take it easy - conversatin pace for a few weks. Get someone to eyeball your saddle height. Enjoy and don't over-analyse at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭KnapperHandy

I used to cycle race and I just believe you're doing too much,too soon!

I would recommend you(and anyone else for that matter) go to your GP before starting any fitness regime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

I would recommend you(and anyone else for that matter) go to your GP before starting any fitness regime.
    Is cycling for an hour an 'exercise regime' requiring a GP visit (I know that intensity etc makes a difference)?
    But maybe everyone who doesn't do this should go to the GP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭betterman

thank you for the posts.
    i forgot to say that i have a basic level of fittness through rugby. since the season ended i wenr for long walks every eavening. through that i have losr 4 st and the cycle was out of extra energyi aquired

Advertisement