Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What books needed

Options
  • 13-06-2013 9:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭

Hi, I am doing TY next year, and I want to buy the books for the subjects I will study at home,
    These are the subjects at home:
    Economics,Geog,Ag. Science
    What books do you need to buy for them and what are the best revision books for them e.g. revise wise, rapid revision ??
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

If you don't mind me asking, how many subjects will you be doing all together?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

zubikhan wrote: »
    Hi, I am doing TY next year, and I want to buy the books for the subjects I will study at home,
    What books do you need to buy for them and what are the best revision books for them e.g. revise wise, rapid revision ??
    Thanks

Rapid Revision for Ag Science is excellent. There are a few more new Ag Science revision books on the market that may be also worth a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Study in Ty :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭zubikhan

Yeah I am doing 8 subjects in total but I will be only studying the subject that I am doing at home during the summer of TY, I really wanna get good results, 600ish

Rapid Revision for Ag Science is excellent. There are a few more new Ag Science revision books on the market that may be also worth a look

So shall I just get that, is there any need of buying those big books, you know the ones that school use to teach with questions and stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So shall I just get that, is there any need of buying those big books, you know the ones that school use to teach with questions and stuff

Yes you need books

Revision books are for..well revision.

If you're doing Art History, then the revision book might do for that.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Yes you need books

Revision books are for..well revision.

If you're doing Art History, then the revision book might do for that.

So I will need the big books as well ??
    Anyone can direct me to the big ag science and economics as well as geog book, incl revision book names
    Thanks

So I will need the big books as well ??
    Anyone can direct me to the big ag science and economics as well as geog book, incl revision book names
    Thanks

Or you could spend Ty doing stuff like work experience, taking up a few sports, voluntary work and then wait for your book list for 5th year FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Thanks

positive economics. that book is really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭johneugene

Thanks

Take a break in 4th year. You will crack up otherwise!

Do not do 8 subjects! I did it and regret it!

Focus on Irish English maths biology and ag sci and your language

• Advertisement

decisions wrote: »
    Or you could spend Ty doing stuff like work experience, taking up a few sports, voluntary work and then wait for your book list for 5th year FFS!

Yeah, but I am going to study as well
    I will be doing work experience, as well as entrepreneurship.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Breaking Ground is a very good Ag book and Planets and People core book is a very good geog book although you will have to buy the elective and optional geog books too..Tbh I think Geography will be very difficult to do on your own like with regards to the field study and that ? Same goes for Ag Science..You do realise that you need to do about 5/6 project plus a practical examination ?

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I get that people are saying to take a break , you definitely need to enjoy fourth year but once you are doing all the normal stuff in fourth year i don't see why you wouldn't start to do a bit of study if you are aiming for high points ,the extra time will be helpful ,just don't over do it

Ty is about relaxing. Keep a diary, to improve your writing and language use. Practice speaking your language. Learn Java or C to work on your problem solving skills. Do the crossword. Practice your maths.

There is no reason to do formal study.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

It's TY for god sake! Trust me, after 2 weeks in TY you'll barely have the motivation to get out of bed, let alone study.

I will only be doing an hour a day in the summer holidays, because I have to work and stay in time limit with my subjects that I will not do or other wise I will be in the situation where I will have to study the whole 3 year course in 1 year or 2 years

But the LC is a 2yr course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I will only be doing an hour a day in the summer holidays, because I have to work and stay in time limit with my subjects that I will not do or other wise I will be in the situation where I will have to study the whole 3 year course in 1 year or 2 years

It's a two year course mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

I wish I was that enthusiastic to study the week before the leaving started let alone in 5th year (we don't have Ty and I probably wouldn't have done it anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Absolutely not. I have one and I can tell you I've barely touched it. Far too much waffle. Get a good comprehensive set of notes, a revision book, the marking schemes and the exam papers and you're on your way!

• Advertisement

so the stuff you learn in 4th year ???
    What is that all about

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

What is that all about

What do you think TY is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

What is that all about

You don't learn anything in TY.

Not at all actively discouraging you. Fair play if you know your goals and want to work towards them. Don't forget to enjoy TY and fifth year though, you'll miss them when 6th year comes.

What is that all about
    Its to show you new things and let you try new subjects.

You don't learn anything. It's about growing up and figuring out what you want to do with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mariecxx

Thanks

i admire your determination to get high points but seriously enjoy this year! :) if you start now you will be completely burnt out when it comes to 6th year. theres a reason it's a two year course.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

I do wonder about the people on this forum sometimes.

David086 wrote: »
    I do wonder about the people on this forum sometimes.

Me or the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

decisions wrote: »
    Me or the OP?

OP

• Registered Users Posts: 13 murtquig

Breaking ground for ag if u can get work on a farm keep a diary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

I think we all had that thought before going into 5th year that we would "study every day for 2/3 hours", but it never happened. :P

But studying in 4th year is just crazy. :o

Don't go doing any study in fourth year ... just enjoy it. Once fifth year comes, just do your homework and study for subjects the day before the day you have a test. You have plenty of time to study in depth in sixth year. Don't let the leaving cert ruin your final 3 years in school, with 6th year often being the best year. ;)

Advertisement