Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airport Live BBC 2 17/6/13 20.00

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

Irish airports used to buy Timoney but not anymore, they were HUGE beasts you should see and HEAR the one left in Dublin dear god the growl off the engine it's Rescue 8 in the link below.

http://www.fire-ireland.com/Dublin-Airport-Fire-and-Rescue-Service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Have to say I was impressed by the Fire Trucks myself. Savage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

flazio wrote: »
    I remember one of the questions covered last night came from a viewer in Dublin. Any Boardsie want to own up to it?

Someone like Dave Kavanagh IIRC

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

vicwatson wrote: »
    Someone like Dave Kavanagh IIRC

Yup

Nobody here I'm guessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Yeah they are savage. Rosenbauer Panthers, most airports have been buying them the past few years. I think one of the firemen told me that the tyres themselves cost €8000 each :eek:

Baldonnel has 2, Belfast, Waterford and Doengal use them in Ireland. Possibly more.

Here's the one in Baldonnel:

12129.jpg

Did they say 700k £ each or...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

Yup 700K each. Same as the cost to get into the Control Tower after 3 years of training!

vicwatson wrote: »
    Did they say 700k £ each or...?

Yeah they said £700,000 per truck, I think Baldonnel bought them at €800,000 each which is roughly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2 motherR

good show. Would love to try flying the air bus simulator. they made it look easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I see they mentioned there is a village called Longford on the perimeter...I wonder where they got that name :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Coming from Ruislip ( about 6 miles N of Heathrow ) , and growing up in it's shadow I found this programme really interesting .

I was that spotter on the Queens Building during the 70's / early 80's !! I had to laugh when they showed Myrtle Ave , how many people have spotted from there eh !

We used to get away with murder before security was tightened , I remember getting into the BA engineering base using an empty packet of B+H ( gold colour like the pass at the time ) , had lunch in the staff canteen , then proceeded onto the maintenance apron to take photo's of a Concorde that had been stripped down to white... bet you couldn't do that now :-)

I was very interested by the part about the expansion.

Sipson which is where the proposed 3rd runway may be built is an ancient village mentioned in the Doomsday book.

I didn't know BAA ( or Heathrow ) was buying houses around there .

I thought this part was very well balanced.

To me I think a new hub airport should be built , it's a shame the Maplin Sands wasn't built in the 70's as proposed.

( sorry OT , maybe worthy of a thread :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'd love to get the job of towing the planes

does anyone know ..how would you go about applying for that job?? does it come under the remit of ground staff??

would you need a hgv licence or something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

was it just me or did anyone else pick on on the double entendre BBC were playing at during the fire department segment? When yer one suggested maybe she will get a chance to fire his cannon?? And at the end the fireman asked her did she want to start gathering up some hose??...I laughed anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I missed last night, is there a way of watching it online?

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I missed last night, is there a way of watching it online?

It's on BBC iPlayer and YouTube possibly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭donkey balls

fryup wrote: »
    i'd love to get the job of towing the planes

does anyone know ..how would you go about applying for that job?? does it come under the remit of ground staff??

would you need a hgv licence or something similar?

The ground crews normally do the push backs/towing of aircraft and you don't need a HGV licence unless you drive the fueling trucks,Sometime ago I managed to have a rip in one of the SIDES truck in Dublin airport boy they are fast.
    And from memory the engines are not your normal truck engine which has to be warmed up along with the air pressure to build up before the truck will move,I think they said it is either a 2 or 4 stroke engine if I have any picks of one I will post it here.
    As for the show and coming from an Aviation back ground it has to be the best factual show that I have seen and gave a good insight in to the operations at an airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The ground crews normally do the push backs/towing of aircraft and you don't need a HGV licence unless you drive the fueling trucks

but i persume they'd be looking for someone who can drive both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭donkey balls

fryup wrote: »
    but i persume they'd be looking for someone who can drive both?

The fuel companies operate independently of any airline/ground handling company and you require hazchem training to carry out the work.
    With the push back tugs you only need a car licence to operate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

Might want to check if this could affect your no-claims bonus before you apply for the job.

http://www.pprune.org/canada/517555-runway-run-ottawa-airport-two-aircraft-bump-wingtips.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭flickarius

Very interesting series. I was just wondering, does Dublin have the facilities for spray painting planes and tail logos etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

Yes, in fact a large number of Aircraft from abroad come to Dublin to be painted by Eiretech Aviation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Does Shannon have that facility as well?
    Also, BBC World News program Fast Track did a similar pre record piece from SEN about the fire crew and Bird Watch.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01bp0tx

(Keep an eye out for the RE ATR incoming.)

Advertisement