Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greece to shut down state broadcaster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

snubbleste wrote: »
    In its latest austerity move...

Why can't we be as progressive in this country?

By the way, austerity isn't progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Golden Dawn must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

SV wrote: »
    TV3 has better shows on in one day than RTE manages for a whole month!

Yeah, but how many are home produced?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

You the Psychic Readings Live fan?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Greek public broadcaster ERT is to close down almost immediately, the government has announced, causing shockwaves across the country.
    Three TV channels, several radio stations and the internet service will stop operating from midnight on Tuesday. http://www.euronews.com/2013/06/11/greek-public-television-ert-closes-down/
    Loads of other news sources to choose from for Greek citizens.
    I think the worrying bit is that Across the country 15,000 public sector employees are to lose their jobs by the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I think RTE does more things well than it does badly, and I'd hate to see the same thing happen in Ireland because of short-sighted decisions. There is no great public desire to see RTE abolished, despite what you'd read on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Loads of other news sources to choose from for Greek citizens.
    I think the worrying bit is that Across the country 15,000 public sector employees are to lose their jobs by the end of the year.

None that can't be coerced. It's bad news for Greece. On the jobs front too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

irish-stew wrote: »
    Yeah, but how many are home produced?
    That doesn't really concern me?
    You the Psychic Readings Live fan?

That'd be the one complaint I have with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Name the good shows that TV3 has. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Gerald Kean's Marbella Nights

Subhuman Scum: Paul Williams Investigates

Hollywood Pussy - Vaginoplasty's of the Rich & Famous (with Gavin Lambe-Murphy)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

lertsnim wrote: »
    Name the good shows that TV3 has. Thank you.

http://www.tv3.ie/allshows.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If that happened here no more TV licence yipee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Gerald Kean's Marbella Nights

Subhuman Scum: Paul Williams Investigates

Hollywood Pussy - Vaginoplasty's of the Rich & Famous (with Gavin Lambe-Murphy)

I'm sure their Documentary on Three series will knock anything RTE does with their Radio One Documentaries any day now.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I only watch football on RTE so I wouldn't miss it too much. TV3 would pick up the Premiership and Ireland matches.

In its latest austerity move, the Greek government is to close its State funded radio and television until further notice.
    More than 2,000 employees will be suspended until the company reopens as soon as possible. "ERT is a case of an exceptional lack of transparency and incredible extravagance. This ends now," government spokesman Simos Kedikoglou said, according to the AFP news agency. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22861577

Why can't we be as progressive in this country? Imagine all that taxpayer money we throw to fund RTE being freed up. We'd all benefit from a break from that overfunded propaganda-lite service. I would welcome this particular austerity move in this country.

It would have been better if it could have been privatised. I mean 2000 people lose their job at the end of the day. Granted the civil and public service in Greece went everybit as insane as ourselves (moreso perhaps) in they way they conducted themselves with their finance and hiring policies but make no mistake, 2000 suddenly out of work is of no benefit to the economy and god knows the knock on effects it could have out there similar to Dell pulling out of Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I highly doubt you rate all of TV3's shows to be great. In other words you cannot name any. Just as I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I despise RTE. If you turn on one now, there's some stupid show/sitcom probably bought from abroad.

I would love to see RTE disbanded. TV3 could perhaps pick up a few bits from RTE like maybe fair city and eastenders. They could do their own version of the Late Late Show. TV3 is a good station. I'd love to see them get more money instead of the pittance that they get and be given a chance.

TG4 is a brillant station with a lot of home grown stuff and documentries. They could perehaps pick up on the kids programming.

If RTE, can't be disbanded, it could definately be reformed, right down to one channel. All the imports - like sitcoms can be got rid off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like its all kicking off outside the Athens version of Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Another win for the EU/IMF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I despise RTE. If you turn on one now, there's some stupid show/sitcom probably bought from abroad.

Meanwhile, over on TV3...

Jeremy Kyle, The X Factor, Dancing on Ice, I'm a Celebrity, Britain's Got Talent, Britain's Got MORE Talent etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Greece's national broadcaster has been temporarily been shut to reorganise it and make it more efficient.

Story

"ERT is a case of an exceptional lack of transparency and incredible extravagance. This ends now," government spokesman Simos Kedikoglou said earlier.

That's the medicine the folks in RTE need to be treated with!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭apollo8

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0611/456018-ert-greek-state-broadcaster/

The Greek guberment for financial reason has closed their national broadcaster. Multitudes of people flocked to the streets to protest against the closure.
    I imagine that if here we pulled the plug on RTE that the crowds would be out celibrating. The newscaster this morning had a wry grin on his face that I took to be "Ah sure it'll never happen here...I hope".

Is out national broadcaster a money sink or does it provide a vital resource?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Doh!

Apologies Mods. Close at will.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Threads Merged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Greece's two largest labor unions called a 24-hour general strike earlier today for Thursday, in protest at the government's decision to close ERT.
    Another strike, can you imagine trying to do day-to-day business in Greece?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Well there we have it Rte it decides to save a tiny percentage 1.3 million p/y by discontinuing one of its top watched shows. The premiership on rte is no more the reason given ? Man U Man City Chelsea or Liverpool dont have any Irish players in their teams .
    Does this mean when they figure out the will be no Irish player in the champions league next year they will stop showing champions league too ?

Its time for the powers that be to shut down the whole of rte and stopping forcing decent hardworking people to pay the salaries of people must of us have never heard of . Earning 20 times the average working salary , and then there's some of those "presenters" who skip across the pond to try an break into that market .That's loyalty isn't it.
    By cutting that particulars salary or replacing him altogether I'm sure they could keep soccer on rte.
    I remember watching David Gillick as a panelist on the Olympics and thinking hes actually well spoken, respected and very presentable why not give someone like him the late late show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Ah rte aint that bad, bar a few people being overpaid I dont get the hate.

It's a Love/ Hate thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Keep RTe radio though, love john creedons weeknight music show on RTe1 - properly eclectic. Actually RTe do some quality radio overall in fairness.
    Talk to Joe....
    But RTe tv is atrocious,a skidmark on the y-fronts of society.

Advertisement