Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you hug and kiss friends on the cheek?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Staff Infection

I am quite passionate (as in heart on sleeve type) so I normally greet my friends as follows.

1. Walk towards them, smile and say their name while outstretching my arms.

2. As I get closer to them my arms lower and I extend my right hand in front of them before giving them a good handshake while looking them in the eye smiling.

3. If they are receptive to the handshake I take that as a sign and pull them in for a quick hug and pat on the back usually while saying something like "it has been too long".

4. Finally, I plant my left hand on their right shoulder and ask them how are they're keeping.

I rarely do this for people I've only met, more for old friends but I am a physical guy so it's rarely a non contact greeting from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I'd kiss most of my male friends when I'm saying hello ..

Hello there ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

we rub noses and pat each other on the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

a pet of mine, i hug my missus and kids. end of.
    i hate people who intrude on my personal space

I work with a company who are global and when people based abroad are over it's all hugs and kisses. false and I fcuking hate it.
    They get offered a handshake and some are lucky to get that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I ofton see women hugging each other on nights out or if they are walking on the street they would have their arms linked around each other but you won't see men doing that and never will.

I wouldn't feel comfortable with some fella giving me a hug, and certainly not a kiss on the cheek, maybe others don't mind it but that's just how I feel and living in a tough enough area I would imagine every other fella here would be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Jokes on you, OP. I have no friends!

Aw :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The first friendly hug I got off an Italian girl was when I was sitting down and at eye level with her boobs! She proceeded to give me a very passionate long hug while burying my head in her bits! Why can't more Irish women be like that :P

Steadyonthere steddyeddy, while I reach for the Lipitor :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

As a nation I think we're fairly uncomfortable with PDA's unless copious amounts of booze are involved before hand. I don't get this whole business of shaking hands with people you know. To me shaking hands is a formal thing you do when being introduced to someone you don't know. I see groups of lads shaking hands with their friends and it just seems a tad ridiculous to me. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Most if the time I kiss my female friends and hug my male friends when in Ireland. If I see them everyday I'm less inclined to do it. Where I live now it's a kiss on the cheek male or female.

As a nation I think we're fairly uncomfortable with PDA's unless copious amounts of booze are involved before hand. I don't get this whole business of shaking hands with people you know. To me shaking hands is a formal thing you do when being introduced to someone you don't know. I see groups of lads shaking hands with their friends and it just seems a tad ridiculous to me. Each to their own.

It is a very common practice with Eastern European men when they meet to shake hands, I work with a lot of Polish lads and they always shake hands with each other when starting work or when they meet in the canteen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

A firm handshake for me and I always try and break their hand cos it makes me feel like a big man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I give them a nice open-palmed slap on the behind

• Registered Users Posts: 5 YeDirtyHoor

Living in belgium for a month was strange.. they are all at it! Even the boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Living in belgium for a month was strange.. they are all at it! Even the boys!

Pfft. Thats nothing. You should try prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 YeDirtyHoor

Pfft. Thats nothing. You should try prison.

Naa your alright thanks.. i'd rather never be greeted by someone sticking their finger up me bum.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Hugs and kisses all around as far as this male is concerned. I have male friends who get big hugs, male friends who get the two cheek kiss hello/goodbye and one close gay male friend who always gets a kiss on the lips.

I have also noticed Americans to be very huggy. My wife works in a particularly huggy workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭gw80

I am quite passionate (as in heart on sleeve type) so I normally greet my friends as follows.

1. Walk towards them, smile and say their name while outstretching my arms.

2. As I get closer to them my arms lower and I extend my right hand in front of them before giving them a good handshake while looking them in the eye smiling.

3. If they are receptive to the handshake I take that as a sign and pull them in for a quick hug and pat on the back usually while saying something like "it has been too long".

4. Finally, I plant my left hand on their right shoulder and ask them how are they're keeping.

I rarely do this for people I've only met, more for old friends but I am a physical guy so it's rarely a non contact greeting from me.

would they be so inclined to even shake your hand if they knew you,er boards name

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hugs for most female friends if I haven't seen them in a while or if I'm leaving them after a night out. Or if I'm pissed. Kiss on the cheek and/or hug for male friends I haven't seen them in a while.

If I see them most days/ few times a week, it's just a wave, can't be wasting all that time hugging :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yeah of course. It's like this:

Hai guise
    xoxoxoxo

*forever alone*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Kissing on one cheek or two I find uncomfortable hugging is grand. As someone said earlier I don't think the Irish are comfortable with hugging each other (the men anyway) let alone kissing as a greeting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I think people who say Irish men aren't comfortable hugging each other aren't seeing beyond their own experience. I have several groups of friends and I would give a good hug to almost all of them. There are a few that I know aren't the type and they may get a handshake but they are the exception.

I think even the most stand offish man would prefer a manly hug/shoulder bump thing than a limp hand shake. Everytime someone holds out a limp wrist for me to shake I feel the need to wash my hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I actually find cheek kissing and hugging extremely put on and fake.

Why?

Handshake for people I don't know here in Ireland. One kiss and a hug for friends here. Handshake and one kiss on the cheek for random strangers I don't know back home or handshake and three kisses if they are friends of friends and family. Three kisses and a hug for friends and family I haven't seen in a while. One kiss for friends and family I see all the time. Guys don't usually kiss other guys but they touch heads the appropriate number of times depending on the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Headbutt some family members.

One of my Grandfathers was from Glasgow and had plenty of run ins with the local constabulary in his home city,not so much here apparently he liked the local Gardai where he lived.

Anyway one my cousins was arrested after a fight during which he headbutted his opponent and my Grandmother told his mother he was nothing but a gurrier like his Grandfather.

In honour of our Grandfather and Grandmother , myself , my brothers and some of my cousins used headbutt each other at family events (not full on ones obviously) ,however wives and girlfriends put an end to this tradition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

shur thats gay!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I just drop the hand, for either sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Im a big fan on the traditional Victorian handshake myself.

None of this straight outa Compton jazz thanks very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Hate it. As said before I find it very fake when this happens. The wifes aunt and first cousins always do it and it makes me feel uncomfortable. I don't know why it does. I would be the kind of fella who greets my mates with a howya horse type greeting.

Have to say I find it weird that people see it as fake. Is showing affection to friends fake now?

LizT wrote: »
    Have to say I find it weird that people see it as fake. Is showing affection to friends fake now?

It sounds fake in some cases, 2 of my cousins whenever they meet greet each other squeeling "HIIIIII" then a kiss on each cheek and a hug.

• Advertisement

It sounds fake in some cases, 2 of my cousins whenever they meet greet each other squeeling "HIIIIII" then a kiss on each cheek and a hug.

How is that fake?

Advertisement