Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to Rugby - South Side Clubs

Options
  • 10-06-2013 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My return to rugby - after nearly 12 years of excuse-related retirement - is imminent this summer. It should culminate in the 2017 Lions tour to New Zealand where, no doubt, there will be a famous series victory to echo that of the 1971 team - so watch this space.

But I need a club (I live in South Side Dublin) and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I'm from Limerick so don't really know the clubs up here - as in I know the main ones but not sure what they're like as a club, if that makes sense. I'm looking for a club that are competitive, with good coaching, but also some craic and a sense of comraderie in the club. Love to hear peoples experiences with their clubs - and maybe when pre-season training starts.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

karlitob wrote: »
    Hi all,

My return to rugby - after nearly 12 years of excuse-related retirement - is imminent this summer. It should culminate in the 2017 Lions tour to New Zealand where, no doubt, there will be a famous series victory to echo that of the 1971 team - so watch this space.

But I need a club (I live in South Side Dublin) and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. I'm from Limerick so don't really know the clubs up here - as in I know the main ones but not sure what they're like as a club, if that makes sense. I'm looking for a club that are competitive, with good coaching, but also some craic and a sense of comraderie in the club. Love to hear peoples experiences with their clubs - and maybe when pre-season training starts.

Thanks everyone.
    I'd say seapoint or monkstown sounds like what you're looking for, or maybe Greystones if you've a car

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

How about what area you're living in and people can recommend based on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

Buer wrote: »
    How about what area you're living in and people can recommend based on that?

I'm near Stillorgan/Blackrock but work in city so happy to travel anywhere from Bird Ave (Stillorgan RFC, I think) to RDS area to Greystones to Seapoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Old Wesley is a good club. Some coaches who would be involved in the Leinster side of things (sub academy coaching etc) coach up in Wesley. They train up near Stepaside, i think pre-season starts around late August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Bective, other end of Donnybrook to Wesley good club. train up in Glenamuck which is close to Wesley and Lansdownes ground up in Stepaside
    Plenty from up the country living in Dublin have played with Rangers over the years
    Check club website for coaching, training info etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Stillorgan seem to be the perfect fit. They used to have a load of Munster lads with them, are a good junior club and are very welcoming.
    Always enjoyed playing against them.
    A very nice club.

Heroditas wrote: »
    Stillorgan seem to be the perfect fit. They used to have a load of Munster lads with them, are a good junior club and are very welcoming.
    A very nice club.

Agreed. The answer is on your doorstep, karlitob. They're a good club and have an excellent reputation for welcoming and integrating new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Heroditas wrote: »
    A very nice club.

Seconded. I moved clubs to Stillorgan last season and was made to feel completely at home. Great atmosphere and a very tight-knit club.

Seconded. I moved clubs to Stillorgan last season and was made to feel completely at home. Great atmosphere and a very tight-knit club.

Thanks for all your help gents - appreciate the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭ColmH81

Hi all,

Thanks everyone.

I'd give Seapoint a try.. Great club, great bunch of lads and a great set up.. I spent 7 fantastic years there.. Only left cos I moved to Carlow.. I still go to the odd game and get a warm welcome from everyone..

• Advertisement

ColmH81 wrote: »
    I'd give Seapoint a try.. Great club, great bunch of lads and a great set up.. I spent 7 fantastic years there.. Only left cos I moved to Carlow.. I still go to the odd game and get a warm welcome from everyone..

Thanks for that - I've been leaning a good bit to Seapoint actually. Seems like a great bunch. I've also been interested in Railway Union - has anybody been involved with them.

Thanks for that - I've been leaning a good bit to Seapoint actually. Seems like a great bunch. I've also been interested in Railway Union - has anybody been involved with them.

One of my mates was head coach of the first last season in RU.. Good club and good set up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm also moving to Dublin (Drumcondra) and I'll be looking for a club in the area. There's actually a few guys from my club at home playing with Stillorgan but it might be too much of a trek considering I prob won't have a car

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

trouttrout wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm also moving to Dublin (Drumcondra) and I'll be looking for a club in the area. There's actually a few guys from my club at home playing with Stillorgan but it might be too much of a trek considering I prob won't have a car

The 11 or 44 would get you over for training and home games if you can put up with buses; it's a bit of a hike.

Closer to home you have Clontarf, Millmount House (ALSAA) Unidare RFC (DCU) and Swords RFC (ALSAA). Malahide are a bit further away but options nonetheless. Trinity play home games in Santry and RCSI close to Dublin Airport though I'm unsure about membership criteria at either club.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Monkstown RFC are on the DART line which might be an option. You'd get off the DART at Sandymount so you'd only be on the DART for 10 mins or so from Connolly, Railway Union are across the road from them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Monkstown RFC are on the DART line which might be an option. You'd get off the DART at Sandymount so you'd only be on the DART for 10 mins or so from Connolly, Railway Union are across the road from them too.

flat is literally across the road from Croker so dart would be no bother

What level are they?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The Senior team is Leinster League I think and as far as I know they've teams down to J4.

http://www.monkstownfc.ie/

What level are they?

I assume this means you were offered the gig. Congrats.

If you're in Drumcondra, you're in GAA heartland with Croker, St. Vincents and Na Fianna dominating the sporting interests. Where are you working?

If you've a bike, you can be at Castle Avenue in 10-15 minutes, no problem for Clontarf; big club, very good set up. There are some close knit junior clubs in the other direction up in Glasnevin/Ballymun such as AIB and Unidare. You could be there even quicker on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spiller1984

Also thinking about playing rugby again. Am 29 moderately fit and played in school. Looking for some good training/social club. Live in dun Laoghaire

Should have posted this earlier but here's link to Leinster's handbook for last season. Has every club in the province with location and contact details included.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/images/content/Handbook_Updated_3.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Im living in drumcondra aswell, play my rugby in clontarf, junior rugby level in clontarf is close knit always a night out knocking about! and if your driving its like 5 mins in the car or 15 minute cycle, buses from fairview are very frequent also.

Also thinking about playing rugby again. Am 29 moderately fit and played in school. Looking for some good training/social club. Live in dun Laoghaire

Id recommend Seapoint.. It's just up the road from you... If you know the Graduate, it's just past there..

Id know it alright, would be considered a novice. 11yrs since ive played. Hows the training structured?

Id know it alright, would be considered a novice. 11yrs since ive played. Hows the training structured?

Nowt wrong with that.. The 1sts are AIL, J1 are decent and the 3rds are J4.. 3rds have a nice dedication and a great social element.. Cracking bunch of lads, would make you feel at home... They've finished runners up 3 out of last 4yrs. One league title in those 4yrs.. Semi finals of the cup 3 out 5yrs...

When would pre season start? Mad for procrastination

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

What level are they?

Consider cool mine - a few stops on the train from drumcondra.

When would pre season start? Mad for procrastination

I think it's mid August..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Railway Union is a very good club. It's slightly smaller than most others. They compete in division 2B of Leinster so it's a decent standard, and there are 3 teams. The firsts did very well last year. Also they offer plenty of tag competitions which are mixed and good fun.
    Monkstown RFC is across the road and is a nice club too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

For those living in DL/Blackrock, Blackrock College RFC is nearby. Never played there but it always seemed a quality set up with good people and a great junior section.
    Wanderers and Old Belvedere are in close proximity to each other in Ballsbridge and Donnybrook. Whatever's most convenient.

• Advertisement

Bridge93 wrote: »
    For those living in DL/Blackrock, Blackrock College RFC is nearby. Never played there but it always seemed a quality set up with good people and a great junior section.
    Wanderers and Old Belvedere are in close proximity to each other in Ballsbridge and Donnybrook. Whatever's most convenient.

I thought Rock had ditched all teams expect 1sts, 2nds and u21s? Twould be good if they started their 3rds and 4ths again..

Advertisement