Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

negative equity - share your personal experiences

Options
  • 10-06-2013 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Before you attack me for bringing up a subject that has been done to death however many times i just want to note that although i hear about people in this situation daily and know many personally i have rarely heard people discuss in detail their personal situations. I have a friend who now has partner and a baby living in his one bedroom apartment in which he expects to achieve a position of zero equity in by 2026 yet he never says a word about it. From watching prime time specials you'd think its all people talk about but honestly no one i know ever actually talks about it. I have a schoolfriend who bought a house around the end of his apprenticeship as a carpenter for 900k which is now valued at 350. Doesnt speak a word of it.

Just wondering if people want to share their experiences, where they stand and what, if anything, they plan to do.

If this has been done already feel free to post a link and shut this thread down

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Carpenter? 900k house?

Lol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

ad83 wrote: »
    I have a schoolfriend who bought a house around the end of his apprenticeship as a carpenter for 900k which is now valued at 350.

I hope that there are a few typos in that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭ad83

Mena wrote: »
    Carpenter? 900k house?

Lol.
    Yeah exactly. In fairness he probably says nothing and quietly plans to claw his way out of trouble. Says he will go to college and do engineering. He has a long road ahead of him.

I hope that there are a few typos in that sentence.

Haha no spell checker. to summarise. Friend is qualified carpenter with 900k mortgage on a house he might get 350k for.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sovereign121

A carpenter with a 900k mortgage, are you for F***ing real, he deserves to lose his bollox for being so stupid to take out such a loan, or else you're talking ****e

• Advertisement

A carpenter with a 900k mortgage, are you for F***ing real, he deserves to lose his bollox for being so stupid to take out such a loan, or else you're talking ****e

He setup his own business and showed healthy income at the time i suppose. Not making this up. I dont think this is the most extreme case ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

And he did all this....
    around the end of his apprenticeship
    ?:rolleyes:

SuperS54 wrote: »
    And he did all this....
    ?:rolleyes:
    Its bull****

Its bull****
    Who cares if its bull5h1t, which its not. He was a business owner at the height of the property bubble( one small correction, he was actually an electrician ) Hardly beyond the realms of possibility. The thread was not about this one guy. Maybe someone out there has a similar example? I could ask the guy to come on to boards and verify but as you know he doesn't really talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Paid 170k for my house in 2006....its worth about 55 k now

• Advertisement

Who cares if its bull5h1t, which its not. He was a business owner at the height of the property bubble( one small correction, he was actually an electrician ) Hardly beyond the realms of possibility. The thread was not about this one guy. Maybe someone out there has a similar example? I could ask the guy to come on to boards and verify but as you know he doesn't really talk about it.
    Dude piss off, your full of crap, an electrician now is it???? who could afford a 900k mortgage after setting up a business not long after finishing an apprenticeship???? what f uc king world do you live on? Stop trolling and if you want to talk crap and doom and gloom about the economy and go watch prime time instead. Personally I never bought a house in this hole of a country and anybody who is in negative equity because they bought at the height of the boom deserves it for being retarded enough to buy a house at those extortionate prices. No sympathy, simple as that!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Yeah exactly. In fairness he probably says nothing and quietly plans to claw his way out of trouble. Says he will go to college and do engineering. He has a long road ahead of him.

Good idea - the engineering sector is booming at the moment.

In the Middle East anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

No one talks about it because it doesn't exist! Not until you have sold the house for less than the out standing mortgage. So if you never have any intention to sell you are never in it, its just media/political bs tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

At the end of the course he can celebrate by buying a top of the range Mercedes.

I hate borrowing money, I don't trust banks. The more money they offered me the more suspicious I got and have no plans to ever take part in any banking scams like "mortgages", "investments" or "insurance".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have a similar experience. Every asshole in my year left school at fifteen, and by the time they were 18 they were all 'business owners'. Houses, Range Rovers, jetskis, the lot. I futered away and did me own thing, despite being laughed at and told I was mad for not jumping on the bandwagon.

Most of them are on the dole now, or working in England for a pittance, and all have massive debts hanging over them.

I have my house bought and paid for in full, a nice wee business that is ticking over, and live within my means as much as I can.

Fcuk them all I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

this story is typical of many trades-people who were given a king's ransom by the banks to buy property. I have many similar stories and worse of ordinary people who were given 7 figure sums to invest on property, on the strength of their business. Needless to say the property isnt worth a quarter of what they paid for it now, and the banks now own their business.

Dude piss off, your full of crap, an electrician now is it???? who could afford a 900k mortgage after setting up a business not long after finishing an apprenticeship???? what f uc king world do you live on? Stop trolling and if you want to talk crap and doom and gloom about the economy and go watch prime time instead. Personally I never bought a house in this hole of a country and anybody who is in negative equity because they bought at the height of the boom deserves it for being retarded enough to buy a house at those extortionate prices. No sympathy, simple as that!!!!!

Trolling? I actually started the thread hoping people could share their plans for emerging from this tough situation, not to talk of doom and gloom. Op was not about this one guy(who most probably got a motgage of 10x his salary. Has this ever happened before? Construction boom. Guy earning 90k as self employed. Was able to get alot of business as he had many contacts through a family member whom he worked with all through school and for 4 years after.

Im not going to respond to calling the country a hole or whether people were stupid to pay the prices required to get on the ladder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Before you attack me for bringing up a subject that has been done to death however many times i just want to note that although i hear about people in this situation daily and know many personally i have rarely heard people discuss in detail their personal situations. I have a friend who now has partner and a baby living in his one bedroom apartment in which he expects to achieve a position of zero equity in by 2026 yet he never says a word about it. From watching prime time specials you'd think its all people talk about but honestly no one i know ever actually talks about it. I have a schoolfriend who bought a house around the end of his apprenticeship as a carpenter for 900k which is now valued at 350. Doesnt speak a word of it.

Just wondering if people want to share their experiences, where they stand and what, if anything, they plan to do.

If this has been done already feel free to post a link and shut this thread down

Thanks all

Hurry up.

That article won't cut and paste itself by tomorrow, you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Soups123

You must have slept through the Celtic Tiger this was quite normal. I had plenty of mates who left school got a trade and where 'business owners' they bought nice houses and nice cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

305k empty 2 bed apartment, now being sold for 105k fully furnished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Dude piss off, your full of crap, an electrician now is it???? who could afford a 900k mortgage after setting up a business not long after finishing an apprenticeship???? what f uc king world do you live on?

slight overreaction there, boss. What's so hard to believe?

I actually know someone in a very similar situation, sparks, own business, paid €700k on a second property (not his ppr which isn't a bad bunch of bricks either). He doesn't moan/talk about it, he just gets on with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

There's no way he got a 900k mortgage. He's having you on. His monthly repayments would have been two thirds of his net monthly income or about €36k per year. He's lying through his arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

Totally debt-free.
    Don't owe nobody a sausage.
    Cleared all my mortgages pre 2005.
    Own a few properties, and currently in the market for good-priced bank repossessions.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

My partner has a 200,000 mortgage on a house worth bout 40,000.
    He was an idiot and his parents were assholes. They sold him the house at 150,000. A house that needed work, to build their own. No way did their house cost 150grand to build. No ways.
    Partner with his ex went and added 50G's to the mortgage. Meant to be spent on house repairs ..but most of it got spent on junk.....

It bothers me some..I'm extremely sensible with money and hate, hate debt of any sorts.....but I love the idiot.
    He doesn't talk about. Partly because I think its avoid the issue than the accept it. I mean it's a pretty emotional thing to be paying for a house..owing ..that's no where near worth what you owe..and how long will it be before it is worth it again?
    You can't really sell up and say to hell with this mistake..kinda stuck.

And wasn't their talks of forcing people to come up with the money that their house isn't worth? Yeah..it's easier for people to avoid the issue and not think about it.

space_man wrote: »
    Totally debt-free.
    Don't owe nobody a sausage.
    Cleared all my mortgages pre 2005.
    Own a few properties, and currently in the market for good-priced bank repossessions.
    :D

Congrats. That was my plan but didnt quite work out. I guess i wont ask what your plan is to emerge from this situation haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Zero sympathy for anyone who got a 900k mortgage.

Honestly, who the f*ck did they think they were??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

Ush1 wrote: »

totally agree.
    off the wall stuff.

problem with a lot of these 1 off houses is architecturally and aesthetically they are appalling.
    many were built by/for farmers cum builders, and more often than not they are a blot on the landscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Jazbee

Bought for €275k, worth €140k...nice house but small..hope to be able to move on at some stage as it will be very tight for space with 3 teenagers. But realistically it will be at least 10/15years. We would consider renting it out if we could get a decent sized house nearby, but there are not many on the market.

Lots of my friends talk about it, but they're not moaning about it, just being realistic about where they are in life.

Jazbee wrote: »
    Bought for €275k, worth €140k...nice house but small..hope to be able to move on at some stage as it will be very tight for space with 3 teenagers. But realistically it will be at least 10/15years. We would consider renting it out if we could get a decent sized house nearby, but there are not many on the market.

Lots of my friends talk about it, but they're not moaning about it, just being realistic about where they are in life.

Thanks Jazbee. Nice to hear that your friends at least discuss it and that you are thinking of what you will do over time

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »

Was actually a very humble guy in school. Obviously got caught up in the frenzy. He is back to being humble now

Advertisement