Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"We don't need to know a lot of this stuff now, we have Google." says Pat Kenny

Options
  • 09-06-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭

Have we really got to the point where people think we don't need to learn anything because we have search engines?

A few days ago the Irish Independent had interviews with "celebrities" asking them how the LC went for them back in the day. (Online version here) Now, I know what AH thinks of Pat Kenny (:pac:) but what he said got me thinking:
    But if you want high points, you learn stuff off by heart."
    He continued: "It has to be redesigned for the 21st Century. We don't need to know a lot of this stuff now, we have Google.

I agree that some of the Leaving Cert (and education in general) needs reforming, but, to be honest, the idea of relying on Google for everything scares me. It's important to learn things and to know things: if we don't, we'll eventually become technology-dependent automates incapable of independent thinking...

Or am I just turning into a tin-foil hat conspiracy theorist? :p AH, do you think we should give up learning off facts and turn to Google whenever we need info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Einstein: “Never memorize something that you can look up.”

He believed it was needlessly cluttering the brain.

But learning stuff in school is probably advantageous as it shows work ethic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ClongowesBoy

You're reading into it too much, I agree with Patsy on this one, memorising is in all seriousness a relatively useless skill in today's world. It's been rendered this way because of technology(tbh it was never that useful anyway). Does this mean that we shouldn't bother learning anything? Not at all, just means it's easier to access information and therefore not knowing it off the top of your head isn't going to kill you.

Think the main point was that the LC is a memory test which is obviously not what you want for a state exam given how useless memorising is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I love this 'information in second ' search engine world but I'll never stop reading a good book .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Pj! wrote: »

Headline in Daily Mail or Daily Telegraph:

Shock horror as Irishman agrees with Einstein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i think he means some things should be learned by heart, but most things don't need to be. I think he's right. The exams should be more unpredictable and technical. By technical i mean applying knowledge to solve a problem. Not write down a load of stuff from memory

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Mocha Joe

Pat Kenny doesn't need a team of researchers, he gets paid enough to just use google himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

It's important to learn things and to know things: if we don't, we'll eventually become technology-dependent automates incapable of independent thinking...

For knowledge we're already dependent on books, this is just an extension of that.

I used to have big reference books for programming, now I have google.

I'm sure the same is true for other fields.

As for independent thinking I don't think it changes anything. If you don't apply scepticism to things you read on the internet you're certainly not going to be sceptical of things you read in books.

Scepticism and rational thought should be applied to everything, regardless if it comes from Wiki or the Encyclopedia Britannica.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

But learning stuff in school is probably advantageous as it shows work ethic etc.

But ya can easily look up everything these days!!

Oh but if Einstein said it, it is philosophical and must be obeyed:confused::p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Have we really got to the point where people think we don't need to learn anything because we have search engines?

A few days ago the Irish Independent had interviews with "celebrities" asking them how the LC went for them back in the day. (Online version here) Now, I know what AH thinks of Pat Kenny (:pac:) but what he said got me thinking:

I agree that some of the Leaving Cert (and education in general) needs reforming, but, to be honest, the idea of relying on Google for everything scares me. It's important to learn things and to know things: if we don't, we'll eventually become technology-dependent automates incapable of independent thinking...

Or am I just turning into a tin-foil hat conspiracy theorist? :p AH, do you think we should give up learning off facts and turn to Google whenever we need info?

He is right in the fact that most stuff was learned off and didn't need to be. You learn methods and why to do things, you shouldn't learn by rote and he is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I just had to google who Pat Kenny is.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Not nearly as much rote learning in education nowadays as when Pat Kenny was there.

You get all these people saying the LC hasn't changed in years.The reality is that the exams have changed a lot individually bit not the structure of the whole thing, I.e exams at the end of a two year cycle. Critical thinking is far more important now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Interesting replies. In terms of the Leaving Cert, yes, rote-learning should be less valuable than knowing how to apply what you know to different situations/problems. But to an extent, it is possible to do the LC without simply memorising everything: I honestly never learned off fixed answers for anything. With languages, I learned phrases that I could apply to different topics; with maths, accounting and chemistry, I learned how to do various equations and experiments.

But moving away from the LC, I just really don't like the idea of never learning facts for the sake of knowing them. I know I could Google things, but it's good not to have to. You never know when a random piece of information you know will come in handy. And though Einstein may have considered it cluttering the mind, I think it's broadening your mind to learn as much as you can about different topics.

Good video. The Internet is definitely changing how we learn. But I don't know if we have the discipline that his vision requires :p If we were all to learn via a personalised online tutor, it would take effort and willpower to make sure you kept it up; and some people wouldn't. At least with human teachers, there's the chance that you may learn something, if only by accident :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Memory and intelligence (and creativity) are inextricably linked. Those with a poor working memory do considerable worse than those with better working memories on intelligence tests statistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Headline in Daily Mail or Daily Telegraph:

Shock horror as Irishman agrees with Einstein

And yet still comes across as an idiot..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Good video. The Internet is definitely changing how we learn. But I don't know if we have the discipline that his vision requires :p If we were all to learn via a personalised online tutor, it would take effort and willpower to make sure you kept it up; and some people wouldn't. At least with human teachers, there's the chance that you may learn something, if only by accident :pac:

yeah that vid is a classic case of "I think like this so that means everyone else will do the same and will view it the same" which funnily enough there are alot of people like that *looks around AH* but not nearly enough for that system to work Id say

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You're reading into it too much, I agree with Patsy on this one
    Look at the people who don't know how to use a computer, never mind knowing how to open up Google, and you'll see why learning stuff is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Being able to memorise stuff is still helpful, even if the internet has all the answers. I'm doing research on the bacteria that cause lyme disease as part of my degree at the moment. Everything I'm doing in the lab relies on me having the knowledge of biochemistry/microbiology I've built up over the last few years in my head, not in books or on the internet. If I had to look up everything I needed to know my work would take 10 times longer. I still have to use google sometimes obviously.

But I do think there should be a greater focus on IT skills and problem solving skills at leaving cert level rather than just learning off big chunks of info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I actually agree with this. Learning how to do things, learning about ways of thinking, about politics, media, for the financial system works languages, etc are all far more important in my opinion than learning facts off by heart which can easily be looked up. For that reason I think some exams are a little moronic. I've never seen the point of LC History - I absolutely love history and I'd consider myself very knowledgable about it, and I did history for the LC. It wasn't an exam in historical fact, critical analysis, critical thinking or even just discussing history, it was an exam in how the hell can someone write that number of essays in that amount of time. Every history class I had as the LC approached stopped being about learning or discussing history and became instead about "You're going to have to write faster than that".

The idea that most people actually knew the facts they needed for the exam but were let down because either their hands couldn't move as fast as they needed to in the short time allowed for the paper, or because they didn't have enough time to sit back and actually think about the question they were about to answer.

So yes, I'd agree in a large part with Kenny and the OP. The current system of education is completely and utterly outdated.

It must have taken him ages to get anything done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

I wondered if the bould Pat googled squatter's rights before unsuccessfully defending his landgrab a few years back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I just had to google who Pat Kenny is.:o

In every thread, every single thread, every single god damn last thread regarding a celebrity / well known person.
    Somebody pretends to not know said person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You're reading into it too much, I agree with Patsy on this one, memorising is in all seriousness a relatively useless skill in today's world. It's been rendered this way because of technology(tbh it was never that useful anyway). Does this mean that we shouldn't bother learning anything? Not at all, just means it's easier to access information and therefore not knowing it off the top of your head isn't going to kill you.

Think the main point was that the LC is a memory test which is obviously not what you want for a state exam given how useless memorising is.

I honestly think if the LC were redesigned to test conceptual understanding rather than rote learning then the standard of teaching in this country would undoubtedly be revealed to be just as poor as a lot of cynics believe it is. As well as this the general results would plummet. Teaching people to actually understand is not something anyone can do, in fact very few second level teachers can actually do this, considering those who can actually convey their thoughts are probably advanced academics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

In every thread, every single thread, every single god damn last thread regarding a celebrity / well known person.

Hey there ringadingding. Calm down. You're going to blow a gasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Hey there ringadingding. Calm down. You're going to blow a gasket.

Ill calm down once I've googled Daniel day Lewis :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

To reiterate, in case people are getting me wrong: I think Pat is right (!) about needing to reform the education system to involve less rote-learning, but wrong about not needing to learn "googleable" facts. The more you learn, the more you are capable of learning. If you have the basic facts of anything memorised, it's far easier to understand more complicated concepts based on them.
    I honestly think if the LC were redesigned to test conceptual understanding rather than rote learning then the standard of teaching in this country would undoubtedly be revealed to be just as poor as a lot of cynics believe it is. As well as this the general results would plummet. Teaching people to actually understand is not something anyone can do, in fact very few second level teachers can actually do this, considering those who can actually convey their thoughts are probably advanced academics.

To do that, we'd have to reform the whole system, from primary school right up to teacher-training courses. One of the problems with Project Maths was that they introduced it in fifth year to students who'd been learning the old way for 12 years at that stage, as well as to teachers who were used to the old syllabus. You can't just suddenly change methods of learning or most students will fall through the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

What makes you think it's pretend? I couldn't care less who's who. So I often don't know the 'famous' people, people are talking about.

Like this Pat kenny. I know he's discussed alot. But exactly who he is what he does? no idea.. He's some politician? ..meh. not even gonna google it.

__
    Bet yes, I do think less memorizing is good.
    For example..learning certain formulas in maths off.. and LEARNING theorems off..Oh no, we won't teach you to understand them and why those theorems are right..just make sure you can write these lines of senseless alphabet down. bravo.

That always seemed foolish to my eyes. And I could understand the theorems. I also picked up formulas very easily. But so many in the class were trying to use these formulas, without knowing why they work/exist. Doing the work is much easier when you can understand it..not repeat it :/.

Was the same thing in chemistry. Why do I need to know which scientist discovered what and when they discovered it? o0 ..thats going to help me understand it? ..no..but understanding the experiments they did and HOW they figured things out, yes..that well. Learning names and dates off...blah. pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I believe him/ her.

I was talking to a couple of 1st years recently (this is 1st year in University) who didn't know who Miriam O'Callaghan is. Genuinely no idea.

When we were young, we were probably reliant on tv channels; kids these days are more dependent on online media and might rarely/ never access domestic stations or pick up the paper.

In any case, Pat is right on this one. Lots of 3rd level courses have been offering 'open book' exams on their courses for years. makes perfect sense, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I believe him/ her.

I was talking to a couple of 1st years recently (this is 1st year in University) who didn't know who Miriam O'Callaghan is. Genuinely no idea.

When we were young, we were probably reliant on tv channels; kids these days are more dependent on online media and might rarely/ never access domestic stations or pick up the paper.

I'm no first year..not even in school ..who's this miriam o callaghan?
    No, I'm not really asking. But, yes. I don't know who they are or what they've done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

I'm no first year..not even in school ..who's this miriam o callaghan?
    No, I'm not really asking. But, yes. I don't know who they are or what they've done.
    Don't you watch RTE/ read papers/ enjoy MILFs?

Advertisement