Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karnivool/Tesseract UK Tour

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 stereojam77

Kasper Rosa "Icebreaker" (from Belfast)

Good call with that. Just listening to them now on Youtube. I like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Good call with that. Just listening to them now on Youtube. I like!

They're very good friends of mine, if I could be in any Irish band right now it'd be them.

http://kasperrosa.bandcamp.com/

you might also like Kill Goliath, Irish but based in the UK, supported Karnivool in London the last time they came over.

They're very good friends of mine, if I could be in any Irish band right now it'd be them.

http://kasperrosa.bandcamp.com/

That's cool. I'd also love to be in something similar. I just found em on FB too so I'll keep an eye on them. It's quality I must say.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Then check out these Aussies:

Dead Letter Circus "This is the warning"
    Cog "the new normal"
    The Butterfly Effect "final conversation of kings"

and from the UK:

Oceansize "Effloresce" (sadly no more, guitarist is now Biffys 2nd touring guitarist)
    Kasper Rosa "Icebreaker" (from Belfast)

I have Dead Letter Circus already, really enjoying them. Had one Oceansize album (Self Preserved...) but I never listened to it properly. I shall acquire the rest and get listening :D

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Oceansize's best is certainly Frames.
    Asymmetry is revealing itself to me more and more with each listen! I love records like this!

• Advertisement

If anyone is on facebook and likes dead letter circus, they have a facebook app called "the inner circle" and they're uploading content to promote the new album, some if which is hilarious, check it out.

I can also say that the breaking orbit album has become my album of the year (even though it came out in 2012) thanks stereojam for putting me onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

Listening to Asymmetry a good bit on my phone, as you say 120_Minutes, it's obviously a different animal to Sound Awake.

I like that I feel drawn back to it repeatedly, as if I know there's lots about the album that I really enjoy, but can never fully nail down the details of. My favourite track at the moment is 'Aeons'.

I can also say that the breaking orbit album has become my album of the year (even though it came out in 2012) thanks stereojam for putting me onto it.

Glad you like the album 120_Minutes. I love putting people onto them. I think they deserve more recognition for sure. They are also on Facebook if ya wanna follow them. They have some songs on iTunes that are worth checking out too. In particular a cover of Massive Attack 'Dissolved Girl'. I think my album of the year has to go to Steven Wilsons 'The Raven That Refused To Sing' though. That's a masterpiece. I did check out some of the DLC vids on youtube. They have a particularly funny one about the methods they used to record the bass on the album.

I've listened To 'Asymmetry' a lot now and I do think it's a great album but I regard 'Sound Awake' better overall. I agree with Xerces, I think 'Aeons' is my favourite track. Though 'Nachash' and 'Sky Machine' are up there too.

The start of August is gonna be good! Karnivool live on the 7th and Dead Letter Circus new album on the 9th!

Glad you like the album 120_Minutes. I love putting people onto them. I think they deserve more recognition for sure. They are also on Facebook if ya wanna follow them.

And I have paid it forward already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Wouldn't mind seeing Karnivool but I can't justify travelling over twice in one month.

Saw Tesseract a while back at the UK Tech Fest too. For anyone who hasn't seen Ashe with them yet, you'll be blown away. Brilliant live.

• Advertisement

My deluxe edition arrived today. Bit of a warning, the live DVD says its region 0 (region free) but it's actually region 4 (AUS) so i did a bit of jiggery pokery and managed to rip it. It's a great concert, and that bass tone.... wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

My deluxe edition arrived today. Bit of a warning, the live DVD says its region 0 (region free) but it's actually region 4 (AUS) so i did a bit of jiggery pokery and managed to rip it. It's a great concert, and that bass tone.... wow.

Might be just your one, because mine has a region free dvd with it.

Urgh, I just wrote a lengthy re cap of the Karnivool gig last Wednesday and my internet crashed. No way I'm I writing that again but here's a quick summary for ye guys.

-Gig wasn't sold out mainly due to being far from Brisbane city centre and being midweek.

- Support act were a poor djent band with screams and forgettable melodies thrown in among the usual type riffing. Didn't fit with Karnivools vibe whatsoever.

-Karnivool played a good few songs off Asymmetry. Asymmetry, A.M War, We Are, The Refusal, The Last Few, Aeons and Alpha Omega.

-Only one song of Themata. C.O.T.E

-Sound Awake songs were Simple Boy, Goliath, New Day, Set Fire To The Hive and All I Know. I might be forgetting one here...

-Band played well overall. No doubting their ability. Just a few issues throughout the gig I picked on.

-The new songs didn't go down so well. The audience couldn't seem to find the groove. Kenny also didn't seem as into them. I'm sure this is due to the fact the album is recently released and these are really warm up shows for both the band and the fans.

-We Are sounded very strange. I could almost hear a polka beat driving the song. Didn't feel right either way.

-Sound wasn't as good as it was at last gig I saw Karnivool. Bass was mushy overall which was a big disappointment. I was up on the balcony however and this may have played a part.

-New Day and Set Fire To The Hive were highlights. New Day was mind blowing.

-Accompanying light show for new songs was very poor. The band often just played to near static green lights. The other songs had good lights to compliment the songs. It was almost as if the lights guy didn't know the new songs or something.

-Overall I was a bit disappointed with the gig. I've seen them twice before and both times were a better overall show. I feel I know Asymmetry well now but the new songs don't seem to gel as well live. They were definitely overshadowed by the Sound Awake era offerings and cemented my view that it's the better album. Aeons and Alpha Omega work well live but The Last Few just doesn't. I think it's Karnivools weakest song (apart from Omitted For Clarity! Ha) and it's almost like it was thrown in as another heavyish song. I would much rather Sky Machine be played instead. I'm sure some issues will be ironed out by the European gigs and it will also give the fans more time to appreciate Asymmetry.

-Got the T-shirt!

Oh and I picked up Dead Letter Circus new album yesterday. It's good. I much rather it than This Is The Warning already and I've only had a few listens. Highly recommend it!

Agree about the bass tone on the live DVD. Sounds like a musical fart from a blue whale! Just massive.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Might be just your one, because mine has a region free dvd with it.

Could be, My ps3 wouldnt play it at all and my macbook would after i changed the drive region.
    re cap of the Karnivool gig

i kinda suspected thats how the new stuff would go down, thats a pity. Maybe they will gel in time. I hope they dont leave Themata and Roquefort off the set for too long, those are my favourites of that album.

No Deadman? strange....

Have the new DLC but havent listened to it yet, thats what my day off tomorrow is for...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Pity they left out so much from Themata - it really is my fave album. I know it took me aaaages to get into them in the first place, so I won't judge too much yet, but the album just seems to be lacking something for me. I've listened to it a good few times now, and it's not gelling the way the others did.

jenizzle wrote: »
    the album just seems to be lacking something for me. I've listened to it a good few times now, and it's not gelling the way the others did.

it's not just you.

Amsterdam next monday! Turns out this will be the only time i get to see them this tour, so i picked the best city to see them in,

If_you_know_what_I_mean_.png

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Massive grower of an album for me. I think it's up there with their best stuff. Probably my favourite record of the year and there's been a **** tonne of great ones!

Well after a rocky start Amsterdam was a whopper gig. A lot from the new album and some of it worked better than others.

Only the title track from themata, no dead man.

Highlights: we are, new day, all I know, refusal (jono does the screaming)

Met Kenny drew and jono before the gig. Nice guys, very approachable.

Ian kenny is possibly the finest vocalist in rock right now. He was pitch perfect all night.

*EDIT* the next day whilst strolling round dam square i ran into Ian again, and Steve and Hoss were with him, so i got to meet and chat to them all! Sound guys.

• Advertisement

back again, i seem to be the only one keeping this thread alive!

the entire forum gig, which is the dvd included with the asymmetry deluxe edition is on youtube:

It really is epic sounding.

Plus moshcam have a show from the australian asymmetry tour up since yesterday. sadly the mix isnt great.

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Their Luna Park Sydney gig is on moshcam too!

Mushy wrote: »
    Their Luna Park Sydney gig is on moshcam too!

err thats the second one in my post mate.

err thats the second one in my post mate.

I have no idea how I missed that. I wasnt even drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 memecode

Plus moshcam have a show from the australian asymmetry tour up since yesterday. sadly the mix isnt great.

Thats why I remastered it:
    karnivool_luna_park_480p.mp4 [1.1gb]

The mix itself is average, nothing amazing but still functional. The problem is the mastering stage was complete crap. Both on the audio and video side of things.

Thanks I'll give it a proper listen when i'm on better speakers, but it sounds like you tamed the bass a little bit, at least on my laptop.

Strange that given the delay with uploading it that moshcam went with a sub par job in the end. maybe it's all they had to work with.

Just got turned onto these guys at the weekend. I'd heard them mentioned before as they toured with Dead Letter Circus a few times. If you like Mike Patton and Mr. Bungle you'll like Twelve Foot Ninja:

Karnivool announced for Soni next year. Wonder could an Irish show happens, but I'm 99% likely to be out of country if it happens (assuming it happens Wednesday/Thursday before Soni).

Karnivool announced for Soni next year. Wonder could an Irish show happens, but I'm 99% likely to be out of country if it happens (assuming it happens Wednesday/Thursday before Soni).

Ugh. after seeing them twice indoors, and seeing live soni footage on youtube, i've decided they're not a band to see at a festival with a 30 min set in the middle of the day. nighttime headliners are the way to go.

But you gotta take em where you can get em. it'll be the last time they'd be back until the next album i'd say. they still have the states to do yet and birds of tokyo are still kinda promoting the previous album. (they supported muse on their australian tour last year)

Ian Kenny's year is gonna be very busy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Just got turned onto these guys at the weekend. I'd heard them mentioned before as they toured with Dead Letter Circus a few times. If you like Mike Patton and Mr. Bungle you'll like Twelve Foot Ninja:

There not bad actually.

If I have the cash I'm gonna try and go see them at soni.

Advertisement