Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Loyal VW customer (Jack Powell, 100yo)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This link makes more sense to the story you're referring to http://blog.volkswagen.ie/100-year-old-jack-powell-receives-his-41st-volkswagen/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

thats an old story at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A local vet from Nenagh, Co. Tipperary reached an important milestone in style this week when he received a brand new Volkswagen Polo from his local dealer in Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
    Local vet, Jack Powell, celebrated his 100th birthday and was presented with his 41st Volkswagen passenger vehicle from Tom Harvey Volkswagen in Thurles Co. Tipperary, to celebrate this exceptional milestone. A loyal Volkswagen customer, 100 year old Mr Powell purchased his first Volkswagen in 1953 and drove out of the showroom in his 41st vehicle, a Volkswagen Polo.
    http://vetcar.ie/2013/05/31/100-year-old-jack-powell-receives-his-41st-volkswagen-from-tom-harvey-volkswagen-in-thurles/

Pretty loyal indeed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Good vet too

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

MidlandsM wrote: »
    thats an old story at this stage...

we don't all spent 24 hours a day online sorry for boring you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

jomoloney wrote: »
    we don't all spent 24 hours a day online sorry for boring you

breath in, and out, you ok there now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A story 100 years in the making..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

The only gave him a polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

41 cars in 60 years - make of that what you will!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

41 cars. This man witnessed mechanical decline first hand! That's impressive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

Lads he is the fresh new face of Volkswagen Ireland! expect to see him wearing a cat suit and F me wellies sprawled across the bonnet of a GTI soon.

There's a mental image to ruin your weekend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Anan1 wrote: »
    A lot of vets do very high millage on bad roads/farm lanes/across fields etc especially years ago when farm yards were not as organized as they are now.
    Our previous vet was doing 70-75k miles per year, granted he did drive back home to Mayo once or twice a week but you get the idea.

Changing every 12-18 months would be common with them

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

MugMugs wrote: »
    41 cars. This man witnessed mechanical decline first hand! That's impressive!

as other cars got more reliable he just thought this was normal, engine fubar'd after 50,000 miles, yeah sure my 53 beetle did that, why wouldnt a 2006 passat tdi :pac:

He is a vet, would do big mileage and could afford to change cars regularly.

No need for the dig at VW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

the man is in good shape for 100 years

He is a vet, would do big mileage and could afford to change cars regularly.

No need for the dig at VW.
    He changed his car on average every 18 months, I feel that's worthy of comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Interesting, but what's your point?

If I could afford to, I'd change every week. :pac:

Which part of 'make of that what you will!' are you having trouble with? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/07/09/man-nears-3-millionth-mile-in-world-record-holding-volvo/

VW do good trade in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I get the dig at vw you're attempting, but it's misplaced. Vets, especially in rural areas cover massive mileage, atrocious roads, and can also be carrying loads, so frequent changes of cars aren't unsurprising.

That said, I'd bet he kept the Golf GTi about 2 weeks before he realised it was utterly incompatible with the life of a vet. :D

• Advertisement

A lot of people change car every two to three years, especially down through the years when cars held there value better and you would be able to trade up for small money. A lot of the reason for that is people don't like having high mileage or there cars will be worth less in a trade in with higher mileage.

As a vet he would have been doing well above average mileage especially years back when people didn't commute so he would change cars more often.

As mentioned as a vet he could also afford to have the comfort of having a new car fairly often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I get the dig at vw you're attempting, but it's misplaced. Vets, especially in rural areas cover massive mileage, atrocious roads, and can also be carrying loads, so frequent changes of cars aren't unsurprising.

That and some people just like to change their car pretty often - it is not exactly a big issue if you can afford to do so. It is jumping to conclusions to assume that he changed his car due to believing they were unreliable. Why would he keep buying a VW car for over half a century if he believed they were not reliable?

I know of quite a few people who change their cars every two years, or even yearly. They can afford to do so.

A lot of people change car every two to three years, especially down through the years when cars held there value better and you would be able to trade up for small money. A lot of the reason for that is people don't like having high mileage or there cars will be worth less in a trade in with higher mileage.

As a vet he would have been doing well above average mileage especially years back when people didn't commute so he would change cars more often.

As mentioned as a vet he could also afford to have the comfort of having a new car fairly often.
    And for you the above completely explains 41 cars in 60 years? If so then fair enough.

And would you guys get over the dig at VW thing? Up until the early 90s VW build quality was second to none, and Jack Powell was presumably winding down by that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

doubt he would keep buying a brand that would let him down every year and half.

00833827 wrote: »
    doubt he would keep buying a brand that would let him down every year and half.
    Me too. Bet you're confused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

A century of Polos and Golfs, a motoring forums dream!

Nah, fair play to him, nice story.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

That and some people just like to change their car pretty often - it is not exactly a big issue if you can afford to do so. It is jumping to conclusions to assume that he changed his car due to believing they were unreliable. Why would he keep buying a VW car for over half a century if he believed they were not reliable?

I know of quite a few people who change their cars every two years, or even yearly. They can afford to do so.

I would find a Merc with 4.6 million kilometers on the Clock that was used in Greece (Were the roads are even worse) far more impressive than a VW that was traded in every year and a half.

http://www.expatica.com/de/news/local_news/last-ride-for-mercedes-taxi-withbr46-million-kilometres-on-clock--12033.html

All the blog says is that he's a loyal customer, it would make me question the reliability rather than make me think VWs are reliable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

tossy wrote: »
    The only gave him a polo.

Wher does it say they gave it to him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

I'll have a stab at it. He drove the same car til he was 80, and has gone thru 40 in the last 20 years?:D

Advertisement