Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie questions about "Thank post"

Options
  • 07-06-2013 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

Hello. Stoopid n00b here.
    I've just spent 30 mins searching for the answers to the following questions I had about post thanking. Did not find :( so maybe someone wouldnt mind putting me out of my misery?
    1. Why do people post stuff just for the sake of getting "thanks" ie thanks whoring? I have seen warnings not to do this and can see why thanks whoring would be/is detrimental to the quality of the site. But I still don't know why they would want to?
    2. Is there a general guide to the post thanking practice ie anything beyond "how to thank a post/how to see your thanks/etc"
    3. How do I see my most thanked post?

While I'm at it,
    why do we have 2 sticking out tongue smilies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭28064212

starling wrote: »
    1. Why do people post stuff just for the sake of getting "thanks" ie thanks whoring? I have seen warnings not to do this and can see why thanks whoring would be/is detrimental to the quality of the site. But I still don't know why they would want to?
    Loads of reasons. Validation, a need for accumulating imaginary status, they just think it's funny...
    2. Is there a general guide to the post thanking practice ie anything beyond "how to thank a post/how to see your thanks/etc"
    AFAIK, thanking was largely brought in to cut down on the vast number of posts that consisted of nothing but "+1". It's essentially a way of saying "I agree with this post", without having to clutter up the thread with it. Since it was brought in, it's also become analogous to a Facebook 'like'. I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about it
    3. How do I see my most thanked post?
    Click your name, then "Find more posts by...", then change the sorting in the top-right to "Most Thanked"
    While I'm at it,
    why do we have 2 sticking out tongue smilies?
    One is [noparse]:P[/noparse], the other is [noparse]:p[/noparse]

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

Thanks!:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement