Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Moving to Bettystown

  • 06-06-2013 11:24am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ Kennethkenneth


    Hi,
    My wife and I are moving to Bettystown/Laytown and we were wondering what the good areas/bad areas are. We were thinking of renting an apartment in Neptune Tower. It's got a great view but does anyone know what the area is like?
    Thanks!smile.png


«1

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 4 dyziool


    Hi, did you find out anything about the Bettystown? We are in the same situation, but not much online about the place. Looks great, but is it safe, is it good for families, how is the traffic, shopping etc....no idea, but if you hear anything please share. I almost forgot the most important part INTERNET, is there any decent broadband in Bettystown??


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ caew


    dyziool wrote: »
    Hi, did you find out anything about the Bettystown? We are in the same situation, but not much online about the place. Looks great, but is it safe, is it good for families, how is the traffic, shopping etc....no idea, but if you hear anything please share. I almost forgot the most important part INTERNET, is there any decent broadband in Bettystown??

    we were thinking of buying in Bettystown and have been renting there for the past six months, we have now decided not to buy there.

    For us the commute is too much, I work in Dublin city centre.

    However, Bettystown is a lovely area, its got some nice restaurants, convenient shops, the beach is wonderful to have on your door step, people are friendly and I have heard the schools are good.

    We have probably looked at most of the houses in the area at this stage. I think a lot of them are overpriced for the area. However, we liked Sevitt Hall, nice houses and estate. The Cloisters is nice too. The Golf Links Road is nice area. The areas we didn't like were Northlands and Castlemartin.

    Contact Stephen in Keystone property in Bettystown. Out of all the auctioneers we dealt with he was by far the most professional. He was the only one to turn up on time and had the house ready for vewing, he took time to ask what we are looking for, could answer all our questions and recommended other properties.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ✭✭✭ Kennethkenneth


    Hi there,

    I can't believe someone finally responded to my post!

    We did end up moving to Bettystown though not to Neptune Tower as it's beside the Anchorage which is a bit rough.

    We like the area. We're renting but we will definitely not be buying there. Bettystown/Laytown is massively overdeveloped and I reckon anyone who buys a house there will never sell it.

    Anyhow, on to your questions...

    Safety: I've never seen any hassle going on and as far as I can make out it's a quiet area. It can get a bit 'lively' down around Funtasia and the beach during the summer so I'd keep away from that area. There have been a lot of rough looking Dubs who have moved down here. I've heard stories about drug dealing but I have to admit I've never seen anything. Then again, I wouldn't see anything, would I? I don't have kids but I wouldn't like to be raising them in Bettystown.

    Traffic: There are no traffic problems in Bettystown really. Drogheda can get a bit jammed around 5-6ish but nothing major, don't know what it's like in the mornings. You should be aware that Matthews Coaches advertise a bus that takes one hour to get into Dublin, however, it usually takes about one hour and twenty minutes in the morning. So watch out for that.

    Shopping: There's lots of shops in Drogheda and nice restaurants. Not much going on in Bettystown. There's Relish but I reckon it's overrated. If you're going out for dinner, try The Tower in Drogheda. It's really nice. Drogheda was a nice surprise for us. It's a lovely town and only a ten minute drive away from Bettystown.

    Internet: Can't give you much help there. We get our Broadband from Sky. It's pretty good but we don't use it that much. I don't know what it would be like if you were downloading HD movies or using it for work. It might be great, it might not be great.

    Hope that helps.


  • Registered Users Posts: 536 padjo5


    Like anywhere it has positives and negatives!

    There was a lot of misguided development in the village, which is now a bit run down, and home to some 'undesirables'.

    Apart from this it is a pretty pleasant place to live. Depends on what you are into but between the locality and Drogheda you have almost everything you need. Bettystown itself has numerous school options, activities etc. the beach is a beauty, which can mean big crowds on a warm summers day. Broadband is good, and Vodafone are bringing in the super fast broadband in the coming weeks apparently. Current speeds are ample for netflix etc. it's not as backward as it may seem!

    Anything else you like to know?

    P


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 coolemon


    Lived in Laytown for 7 years. From Dublin originally but now back in Dublin.

    I didn't like it one bit. The beach is a novelty and the attraction of it soon wears off, or at least it did for me. Upon moving there you get the sort of holiday village to the place with Funtasia and the mobile home park.

    I don't know what your budget is but you could get a 2-3 bed house within the M50 for the price of a 3-4 bed in Laytown/Bettystown. Houses in Dublin will maintain their value if not increase in the long term. Areas that were seen as rough will improve medium term, such as Crumlin and Drimnagh. Development land is limited in Dublin.

    Bettystown/Laytown however is a different kettle of fish. If there were to be an increase in demand new land will be zoned for development, thus the property will never appreciate in value. For example a 109 acre site on the other side of the tracks at Laytown (to the rear of Inse Bay) was sold last year. It is zoned for residential and has planning permission for a new housing estate with probably hundreds of new houses to be built.

    Long term, get a house needing a bit of TLC in Drimnagh/Crumlin/Ballyfermot for your budget. Buying in these commuter towns I don't think is sensible when there is the option of buying something similar in the city.

    Cons

    - car dependent. (used to get shopping in TESCO Drogheda as the one in Bettystown was quite limited)
    - Fuel prices going one way only. Commuting will cost a small fortune.
    - commuting time (about 45min - hour now?)
    - Very homogeneous demographic in these areas. Irish couples with young kids. Lacking a social mix. Lots of fighting over kids.
    - No jobs.
    - Future ghetto with all the kids and nothing for them to do.
    - Home value depreciation or stable in price. Your options to move if you don't like it will be limited.

    Pro's

    - New and spacious housing units at an affordable price.
    - Beach/Sea.
    - Decent amount of small shops in Bettystown/Laytown.
    - New school in the area.
    - Drogheda is close enough with various shopping outlets. (20-25 minute drive)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 dyziool


    Thanks for the info guys, a lot to think about I guess.


  • Registered Users Posts: 33 mesu


    Hi, am also thinking of moving to bettystown with my family. Caew I think your account is closed but why didn't you like castlemartin? Am curious as the houses look decent. Coolemon when you say there is lots of fighting over kids, do you mean you've witnessed lots of domestic problems there? Another poster said they wouldn't want to raise children there, why not? Thanks and sorry for coming in late on the thread!


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭ MANUTD99


    Hi There

    Whats the general feeling on Brabazon Links. Is it a nice area? Safe?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭ Millem


    MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Hi There

    Whats the general feeling on Brabazon Links. Is it a nice area? Safe?

    I don't know much about the estate, but it is on the golf links road which is one of the nicest road. I don't like the design of the houses but that is a personal thing. Bettystown has changed so so so much over the last 10-15 years. The only place that I heard was "unsafe" was the anchorage which is ages away! I have never seen anything dodgey there myself but I would only be parking there to go to donovans. If I was moving to bettystown I would try and avoid an estate, like a previous poster said LOTS of fighting over kids! Or else pick an old estate eg Brookside as residents are much older! There is another estate on the golf links road called fairways park which is lovely too.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭ kennyb3


    Amazing the way 2 posters rented in a place (can be any town), then decide not to buy there. Huge lesson to be learnt there - rent where you think you want to buy. A years rent spent is better than a couple of hundred grand+ buying.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 padjo5


    You looking to buy or rent in Brabazon?
    There's bungalows/duplex apts/semi-d houses so depends which yer after?


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭ MANUTD99


    padjo5 wrote: »
    You looking to buy or rent in Brabazon?
    There's bungalows/duplex apts/semi-d houses so depends which yer after?

    we are looking at the semi detached and terraced housing

    thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ PBPumpkin


    Why is it a bad place to bring up kids as opposed to anywhere else?

    Are there specific issues in the Laytown/Bettystown area?


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭ Millem


    PBPumpkin wrote: »
    Why is it a bad place to bring up kids as opposed to anywhere else?

    Are there specific issues in the Laytown/Bettystown area?

    What I call "new" estates in the area are filled with families with young children. The parents end up falling out over the kids. It's not like in dublin where you say hello and goodbye to your neighbours and that's the height of it! During the boom a lot of people from dublin moved down and tbh a lot of them moved back, it wasn't for them. Bus service to drogheda is a rip off and was very badly serviced but I think it has improved of recent times. I would consider drogheda town a lot rougher. Beach park and highfield in laytown are lovely estates.


  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ PBPumpkin


    Sounds like you may be talking about Inse Bay ........

    What is your view on Sevitt Hall and Betaghstown Wood?


  • Registered Users Posts: 536 padjo5


    Millem wrote: »
    What I call "new" estates in the area are filled with families with young children. The parents end up falling out over the kids. It's not like in dublin where you say hello and goodbye to your neighbours and that's the height of it!

    To be fair the above happens in every village/town/city in the world! To say it doesnt happen in Dublin, or anywhere else, is simply untrue.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭ Millem


    padjo5 wrote: »
    Millem wrote: »
    What I call "new" estates in the area are filled with families with young children. The parents end up falling out over the kids. It's not like in dublin where you say hello and goodbye to your neighbours and that's the height of it!

    To be fair the above happens in every village/town/city in the world! To say it doesnt happen in Dublin, or anywhere else, is simply untrue.

    It's from my experience, I was agreeing with previous poster who said that one of the cons about living there was parents falling out over kids.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭ Millem


    PBPumpkin wrote: »
    Sounds like you may be talking about Inse Bay ........

    What is your view on Sevitt Hall and Betaghstown Wood?

    I don't know really know much about sevitt hall. I remember when betaghstown wood was first built a lot of people from dublin bought there. It is a bit far out, you would have to have a car, there are too many houses down there for my liking. If I was buying in bettystown I would want to be near (within walking distance) matthews bus, train station, tesco and the beach. If a house comes up in Brookside or Neptune terrace you should view it! Did you consider mornington? My OH actually prefers it as it is quieter and not as populated. If so there is a 4 bed detached in st nicholas village for €225k. It is at the end of golf links road. It is an old estate where you will have a mix of people.


  • Registered Users Posts: 34 sanny82


    apart from all the concerns about safety / great area......we thought with eastham court we made the right decision. We went sales agreed and now struggle to find a house insurance as a good few won't give us a quote as the house is in a flood risk area. I am a bit shocked and worried now even the estate is not directly on the beach.....has there ever been bad floods reaching that estate?


  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Paulw


    sanny82 wrote: »
    I am a bit shocked and worried now even the estate is not directly on the beach.....has there ever been bad floods reaching that estate?

    It's not the sea that is causing the flooding, but more likely poor drainage in the area not taking the rain water away. You're not above sea level, so the rain water has nowhere to drain to.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ PBPumpkin


    I believe there was flooding in Northlands a couple of years ago caused by the Mornington River (stream) Is Eastham Court near there?


  • Registered Users Posts: 536 padjo5


    A lot of that area was built on a flood plain. I'd ask a few of the neighbours what their experience has been with getting HI.


  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ kheed


    I bought a house in Inse Bay about seven months ago. I am from dublin and ideally would have bought there but our limited budget and the rising prices in Dublin left us limited options. We found a house that was within our budget and we are delighted with it. Here are my thoughts of the area so far, it's just my wife and I, we have no kids.

    Pros:
    The beach, sea views from our house, walks in the evening with the dog! I know the novelty may wear off but I have always wanted to live close to the sea so its a big thing for me, may not be important to others.
    Our neighbours are great, very friendly, but not overly so! Anyone I have met in passing in the estate and around the area have been very friendly.
    The estate is quiet, plenty of children about but I've seen no hassle.
    The estate is well maintained, residents association keep it clean and tidy.
    Quite close to retail park in drogheda (harvey norman/tk maxx/ LIDl Aldi etc)
    Some nice pubs. Gilnas in laytown and Morans in Mornington.
    decent chinese takeaways in bettystown and takeaways from drogheda will deliver.
    Decent enough Gym in bettystown, I checked it out, haven't joined yet but when funds allow I intend to use it. Will keep running on the beach while weather allows.
    Decent Tesco in bettystown and great butcher and hardware beside it.
    Decent choice for services like bins/gas/electricity so you can shop around for value.

    Cons:
    Can be very quiet, re Pubs/restaurants/nightlife but a trip to drogheda is not a lot in a taxi. Suits us, but I do miss the Dublin gigs/restaurants sometimes

    The Commute. No getting away from it. Its a bitch. I drive to work in sandyford and it takes 50 minutes when not in rush hour which is not too bad. Getting to city centre in the mornings though takes a good hour and a half + , My wife has tried the trains and matthews bus. Train is nicer, but Much more expensive (unless you get taxsaver year ticket) The Matthews bus takes Leap card and gets you to parnell st in about 70 minutes. Less with no traffic. a big problem is frequency, if you miss one you can be very very late for work. The cost of commute in time and money is the biggest drawback for us for sure. I had to invest in a new diesel car as the petrol was being guzzled!

    Cats: Inse bay is full of cats, which keep ****ting in my garden and couple times I caught one coming in to my house. (if you like cats, this may be a pro rather than a con) little feckers!:D

    Mobile phone signal can be a bit dodgy. We are on O2 and it can be intermittant at home.

    UPC do not provide internet or digital tv in the area. I hate sky TV and their broadband is awful. I opted for Eircom broadband and have found it great (such a relief) I decided to get my tv service from eircom too (eVision) as part of a bundle, its cheap but pretty poor. I use the net more than watch tv so Im not too bothered. The wife is having some TV channel withdrawls though. I reckon the best option would be eircom for broadband and Sky for TV, I just wont give sky my money. But thats another thread...

    Hope this is of some help, like I said we have no children so I cannot comment on the schools etc but they do have a good reputation. If there is anything else you want to ask me fire away!


  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ Bradz213


    kheed wrote: »
    I bought a house in Inse Bay about seven months ago. I am from dublin and ideally would have bought there but our limited budget and the rising prices in Dublin left us limited options. We found a house that was within our budget and we are delighted with it. Here are my thoughts of the area so far, it's just my wife and I, we have no kids.

    Pros:
    The beach, sea views from our house, walks in the evening with the dog! I know the novelty may wear off but I have always wanted to live close to the sea so its a big thing for me, may not be important to others.
    Our neighbours are great, very friendly, but not overly so! Anyone I have met in passing in the estate and around the area have been very friendly.
    The estate is quiet, plenty of children about but I've seen no hassle.
    The estate is well maintained, residents association keep it clean and tidy.
    Quite close to retail park in drogheda (harvey norman/tk maxx/ LIDl Aldi etc)
    Some nice pubs. Gilnas in laytown and Morans in Mornington.
    decent chinese takeaways in bettystown and takeaways from drogheda will deliver.
    Decent enough Gym in bettystown, I checked it out, haven't joined yet but when funds allow I intend to use it. Will keep running on the beach while weather allows.
    Decent Tesco in bettystown and great butcher and hardware beside it.
    Decent choice for services like bins/gas/electricity so you can shop around for value.

    Cons:
    Can be very quiet, re Pubs/restaurants/nightlife but a trip to drogheda is not a lot in a taxi. Suits us, but I do miss the Dublin gigs/restaurants sometimes

    The Commute. No getting away from it. Its a bitch. I drive to work in sandyford and it takes 50 minutes when not in rush hour which is not too bad. Getting to city centre in the mornings though takes a good hour and a half + , My wife has tried the trains and matthews bus. Train is nicer, but Much more expensive (unless you get taxsaver year ticket) The Matthews bus takes Leap card and gets you to parnell st in about 70 minutes. Less with no traffic. a big problem is frequency, if you miss one you can be very very late for work. The cost of commute in time and money is the biggest drawback for us for sure. I had to invest in a new diesel car as the petrol was being guzzled!

    Cats: Inse bay is full of cats, which keep ****ting in my garden and couple times I caught one coming in to my house. (if you like cats, this may be a pro rather than a con) little feckers!:D

    Mobile phone signal can be a bit dodgy. We are on O2 and it can be intermittant at home.

    UPC do not provide internet or digital tv in the area. I hate sky TV and their broadband is awful. I opted for Eircom broadband and have found it great (such a relief) I decided to get my tv service from eircom too (eVision) as part of a bundle, its cheap but pretty poor. I use the net more than watch tv so Im not too bothered. The wife is having some TV channel withdrawls though. I reckon the best option would be eircom for broadband and Sky for TV, I just wont give sky my money. But thats another thread...

    Hope this is of some help, like I said we have no children so I cannot comment on the schools etc but they do have a good reputation. If there is anything else you want to ask me fire away!

    What sort of download speeds would you be getting from Eircom if you don't mind me asking?


  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭✭ PBPumpkin


    Anyone have any insight on the primary schools in the area?


  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ kheed


    My package offer 50 mb speed. Using the wifi the online tests are showing about 35. If I was to plug directly in to the modem that result would probably go up. I stream tv with no hassle and download speeds for music / movies I have found to be pretty decent. If you are gaming in a serious way or anything, I don't really know much about that


    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 35013 kbps (4376.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 14801 kbps (1850.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 9 ms
    Jitter: 2 ms
    1/9/2014 12:44:05


  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ Bradz213


    That's quite good actually. I'm thinking of moving up around that way but broadband was my main concern. I would use some online gaming but 35MB/s would be enough. I take it thats a fibre powered line then?


  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭✭ kheed


    yes I think it is, and over the last few weeks Eircom have been putting flyers in the door offereing 100mb speeds so I reckon you will be covered. Before moving here I got in touch with suppliers and asked what services they provide, if you give them an address they can tell you what they do. I knew before moving that UPC wasn't an option. you can even do it online, just pretend to be signing up and pop in an address in the area and the available options will be given


  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ Bradz213


    Thats perfect thanks. Have UPC in Dublin at the minute which is great so was just trying to figure whats the best. I think Eircom will be the way to go. Sky is quite expensive for what you get and I don't trust Vodafone


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ Bradz213


    kheed wrote: »
    yes I think it is, and over the last few weeks Eircom have been putting flyers in the door offereing 100mb speeds so I reckon you will be covered. Before moving here I got in touch with suppliers and asked what services they provide, if you give them an address they can tell you what they do. I knew before moving that UPC wasn't an option. you can even do it online, just pretend to be signing up and pop in an address in the area and the available options will be given

    We will actually be moving to Inse Bay in about a month. I rang Eircom and they are only offering the standard broadband now. They said we will probably only get 10MB. A bit gutted now.

    Anybody know what the best value waste provider is? Tag a Bin seems the best but the prices for waste are ridiculous compared to Dublin. We pay €10p/m at the minute and it's looking like we will end up paying closer to €25p/m now


Advertisement