Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole in Post Office

Options
  • 06-06-2013 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Why is it that in this modern age you have to pick up state benefits from such a local place where everyone knows each other? also why is having any sort of a conversation with the post office staff awkward when he or she is counting out your money? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

You can get it paid through your bank account.

KKkitty wrote: »

I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

The humiliation is good for you, seemingly jobs suddenly appear when you are treated like crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

KKkitty wrote: »
    Not anymore. You have to collect it in the post office once a week. They were trying to cut down on scammers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd love to get my money that handy.

I'll be proud as punch the day I finally get to go to the Post Office to get my pension.

(If I live that long)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭Norfolk Enchants

The humiliation is good for you, seemingly jobs suddenly appear when you are treated like crap.

They have brought in a photographic social welfare card. Collecting it in person shows that you are resident in Ireland and proclaim who you claim to be. I dont see how queuing up in a post office every so often to collect the welfare stipend is humiliating the recipient?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FigRoller

It's hard to look the post office staff member in the eye! especially when you are frantically stuffing your money in your wallet as awkwardly as possible in case someone you know might see you!

They have brought in a photographic social welfare card. Collecting it in person shows that you are resident in Ireland and proclaim who you claim to be. I dont see how queuing up in a post office every so often to collect the welfare stipend is humiliating the recipient?

Seems pretty humiliating to me that you are expected to que up in a post office with a photographic ID card to prove you are not scamming welfare just because a tiny minority do so. A small bit of dignity, respect and privacy to those in receipt of welfare would be no harm in post offices or social welfare offices.

FigRoller wrote: »
    It's hard to look the post office staff member in the eye! especially when you are frantically stuffing your money in your wallet as awkwardly as possible in case someone you know might see you!

If you are feeling embarrassed and ashamed for collecting your payment in a public place, make an appointment with your local welfare offices manager and explain the situation to him or her.

Use the words 'suffer' 'anxiety' and 'panic attacks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Seems pretty humiliating to me that you are expected to que up in a post office with a photographic ID card to prove you are not scamming welfare just because a tiny minority do so. A small bit of dignity, respect and privacy to those in receipt of welfare would be no harm in post offices or social welfare offices.

Which other methods of fraud detection do you propose ?
    I know it's not nice, but you're dealing with handing out cash, you need to be sure you're dealing with the person entitled to the cash.

• Advertisement

I think roughly one third of our expenditure goes on social welfare. The photo id card was only brought in recently, iinm. We shall see if it saves money or not in the coming months. Its a necessary evil, in my view. Anyone who is falsely claiming needs to be rooted out and dealt with.

Those that are legitimate have nothing to fear and if they root out the welfare fraudsters, it will clear up any misconceptions people have of genuine welfare claimants and perhaps even stave off cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Maybe try wearing some pants the next time you go in.

Which other methods of fraud detection do you propose ?
    I know it's not nice, but you're dealing with handing out cash, you need to be sure you're dealing with the person entitled to the cash.

How about seeing people individually every two weeks in private like in the UK for example where you bring along proof of your job search and applications, where you get advice and some help when looking for work, where they help you with things such as cv's and creating a plan to get back into the workforce when you are unlucky enough to loose your job and then your welfare payment is paid into your bank account? Would that prove that the right person was collecting the welfare or is humiliation a better way?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The daily dole/welfare bashing thread is early today I see.

How about seeing people individually every two weeks in private like in the UK for example where you bring along proof of your job search and applications, where you get advice and some help when looking for work, where they help you with things such as cv's and creating a plan to get back into the workforce when you are unlucky enough to loose your job and then your welfare payment is paid into your bank account? Would that prove that the right person was collecting the welfare or is humiliation a better way?

Welfare organise recipients to meet with employment agencies that help them improve their cvs and offer them retraining. My buddy was unemployed for a bit, he got sent a letter informing him of the need to meet up for a chat with an employment agency. He expressed a desire to reskill and was informed that they had a budget of 500 euro per person, to help them do just that.

He completed the course and is now back in part-time employment.

I guarantee you that people on jsa in the UK would much prefer our system of going to the post office once a week. The jsa system sounds great in theory but in reality it is an expensive joke. Workers have targets to meet many people end up being unfairly sanctioned and have their benefits reduced or stopped. The only thing even worse than jsa is ATOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

why?
    most people will need to access at least one of the various welfare benefits at some point in their life and thats what its there for,seeing someone get job seekers doesnt suggest the person will never contribute to society money wise,its just some guy getting cash out the post office.
    everyone thinks with their ego first, they wont be thinking 'FFS..theres a guy getting job seekers allowance,he is such a scrounger how can he show his face in here the good for nothing scrounger,grrrr,wait till the daily mail comments section hears about this one' they will be busy thinking 'for gods sake hurry the fck up,whys he/she taking so long to serve everyone?' and 'hmmm,wonder if that COD game/trainers/ben & jerries/pack of carlsberg etc is still on offer? screw that,am buying them all and getting the wife a bottle of cheap plonk and taking the price tag off'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FigRoller

Scruffles wrote: »
    why?
    most people will need to access at least one of the various welfare benefits at some point in their life and thats what its there for,seeing someone get job seekers doesnt suggest the person will never contribute to society money wise,its just some guy getting cash out the post office.
    everyone thinks with their ego first, they wont be thinking 'FFS..theres a guy getting job seekers allowance,he is such a scrounger how can he show his face in here the good for nothing scrounger,grrrr,wait till the daily mail comments section hears about this one' they will be busy thinking 'for gods sake hurry the fck up,whys he/she taking so long to serve everyone?' and 'hmmm,wonder if that COD game/trainers/ben & jerries/pack of carlsberg etc is still on offer? screw that,am buying them all and getting the wife a bottle of cheap plonk and taking the price tag off'.

Best post so far. Has put my mind at ease!

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I guarantee you that people on jsa in the UK would much prefer our system of going to the post office once a week. The jsa system sounds great in theory but in reality it is an expensive joke. Workers have targets to meet many people end up being unfairly sanctioned and have their benefits reduced or stopped. The only thing even worse than jsa is ATOS.

I can't say that was my experience when I recently had to sign on in the UK for a while, benefits are reduced or stopped if you don't supply proof every two weeks that you have been actively seeking work. It felt a hell of a lot different to when I had to sign on in Ireland years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

When I was unemployed back in 2009 for nearly 9 months I received 2 rejection letters in the post despite applying for well over a hundred jobs.

If we used the UK system here what would I have shown the social welfare folks to prove I was actively seeking work?

• Advertisement

When I was unemployed back in 2009 for nearly 9 months I received 2 rejection letters in the post despite applying for well over a hundred jobs.

If we used the UK system here what would I have shown the social welfare folks to prove I was actively seeking work?

Did you use email or a job site for the others? Normally they send you back an email informing you that you were unsuccessful in your application.

So just print up a copy of the rejection emails.

In the uk you simply fill out the JSA form with the details of any jobs you have applied for giving the name and address of the company and the job title along with the job reference number if there is one, you don't need to show any correspondence from the companies to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Ya see its fcuking eejits like you that have this country in bits...
    "everyone should be high, mighty, and up me own fcuking hole as me, and if their not i'll ridicule them till they abandon the country for foreign ground"

Get off your high horse.jobs are not as plentifull as you make them out to be

djflawless wrote: »
    "everyone should be high, mighty, and up me own fcuking hole as me, and if their not i'll ridicule them till they abandon the country for foreign ground"

He was being sarcastic and pointing out that humiliating people isn't going to make jobs magically appear ;)

djflawless wrote: »

What part of my post says jobs are plentiful? If you continue down the thread you will see where I mention I have left the country, do you think I did that because jobs are plentiful in Ireland?

Is your sarcasm detector switched off by any chance or are you just on your own high horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

What part of my post says jobs are plentiful? If you continue down the thread you will see where I mention I have left the country, do you think I did that because jobs are plentiful in Ireland?

Is your sarcasm detector switched off by any chance or are you just on your own high horse?

no. Just pissed off of threads slagging the dole recievers that actually try to get work...opinion and such??

Oh and you might also notice where I say I have recently been on the dole in another country but without the humiliation factor :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Here in Austria, it's pretty fair but ruthless.
    You lose your job, you get 80% of your old salary with quite a generous minimum ( ex minimum wage employees would get the equivalent ), for roughly a year, in that year the government will reskill you for free with well organised courses, and for foreigners they will give you German language and Austrian culture courses.
    At the end of the year, your money drops to poverty levels and you can stay on that or find a job, if you don't find a job, they will find one for you.
    You take the job or you get no money, no ifs, no buts.

The advantage the government here has over Ireland is that they help business' create jobs and help them fill them, also they will ' create' an offical job for you, cleaning the transport system, shovelling snow in winter, litter picking in the summer etc.

That's why unemployment is tiny here, it's slightly skewed as they create unnecessary positions, but the pay difference In these positions and the dole is quite small, but the newly found employee is paying taxes again and back into the system.

They give you every opportunity to get back on your feet without any shame or huge lifestyle changes, for a year...
    Then you play by their rules.
    If you miss days on your course, or don't turn up for interviews, you lose your money and you're on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Here in Austria, it's pretty fair but ruthless.

They give you every opportunity to get back on your feet without any shame or huge lifestyle changes, for a year...
    Then you play by their rules.
    If you miss days on your course, or don't turn up for interviews, you lose your money and you're on your own.

ah sure thats Austria for ya, sure that will never work here in Ireland it just wouldn't sit right with us

anyway i'm down to the bookies see ya later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

The post office makes sense as it is a Nationwide network of local branches.

If they were to change the location to a different place you would see the same people in the new place as well anyway. The people you know are probably their for the same reason you are.

There is nothing to be ashamed of as long as you are trying to make your way back into the workforce.

On the new cards issued to combat fraud it is necessary we have a budget which we must meet if we don't cut down on fraud the only other option to come in on budget is to cut benefits across the board.

Advertisement