Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best scifi books

Options
  • 05-06-2013 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭

Some folks reckon this is primarily a Fantasy forum, so maybe we should list some of the best scifi we've read.

Here's a start - a mixed bag of the top sf authors that I've read, some of the classics and some from the modern era. I've only listed one book per author so it's my favourite* book from each.

H. G. Wells: The War of the Worlds
    Aldous Huxley: Brave New World
    George Orwell: 1984
    Isaac Asimov: The Caves of Steel
    Arthur C. Clarke: The Songs Of Distant Earth
    Robert A. Heinlein: Starman Jones
    A. E. Van Gogt: The Weapon Shops of Isher
    Frank Herbert: Dune
    Ray Bradbury: Fahrenheit 451
    John Wyndham: The Midwich Cuckoos
    Douglas Adams: The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Larry Niven: The Mote in God's Eye
    Greg Bear: Eon
    David Brin: The Uplift War
    Patrick Tilley: Cloud Warrior
    Piers Anthony: Refugee
    Iain M. Banks: Use of Weapons
    Peter F. Hamilton: Fallen Dragon
    Charles Stross: Singularity Sky

* Although my favourite is something that fluctuates. I was tempted to list "A Fall of Moondust" or "Rendevous with Rama" for Clarke, and "Day of the Triffids" for Wyndham. I'm sure many will disagree with "The Caves of Steel" and "Starman Jones" as choices to represent those authors :)

Agree or disagree with my choices? List your own favourites.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Some series/collections to add off the top of my head, that aren't covered above:
    Richard Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs books.
    Neal Asher's Polity books.
    Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space series.
    Vernor Vinge's Zones of Though.
    William Gibson's Sprawl.
    Ender/Shadow by Orson Scott Card (especially the earlier ones)
    Dan Simmons Hyperion.
    Isaac Asimov's Foundation
    Stephen Baxter's Manifold and Xeelee.

Non-series
    Snow Crash and Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson.
    Most of PKDs work.
    Richard Mattheson's I Am Legend.
    Starship Troopers by Heinlein.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Dune' - It's the basis for my username and a classic that ages very well. Very original.

'1984' - So infamous it should seem clichéd but yet still works.

Neal Asher's Polity series - Can't pick out one because, to benefit from something like 'Orbus' you should read a lot of the others!

Peter F. Hamilton's 'Void Trilogy' - His 'Night's Dawn' trilogy has too much of a let down of an ending so I'm putting this as the pinnacle of this work.

Stephen Donaldson's 'Gap' sequence

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

A mix of high and low scifi:

Foundations of Paradice - Arthur C. Clarke.
    Jerusalem Fire - R.M. Meluch.
    Lensman series - Doc. Smith.
    Muntineer's Moon - David Weber
    Uncertain Midnight - Edmund Cooper
    Old Man's War - R. Scalzi
    Have Spacesuit will travel - Heinlein
    Forever War - Joe Handleman
    Finally - The High Crusades by Poul Anderson, a bit of humour.

I'd also agree with other posters on
    The Caves of Steel, Dune, Ender's Game and Void Trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Gun to my head if I had to pick a favourite it would be Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination. The man wrote as a force of nature. You don't read that book; you open the cover and Bester's fists grab you by the collar and pull you into the raging mind of Gully Foyle. I've never found anyone else who could bring a protagonist or their strength of will to life so forcefully with his writing. Ben Reich felt like a relation of his in many ways in the equally superb The Demolished Man.

Interesting you bring up A Fall of Moondust. I couldn't say conclusively but it might well be my favourite Clarke book of all, and it's not exactly your typical science fiction tale by any stretch. In fact you could remove all the sci-fi elements and the story would still work - always a sign of greatness. It's one of the only "it's 5am but I can't stop reading until I finish this" obsessively compelling and outright edge of your seat (bed) gripping books I've ever read. I remember when I eventually finished it and possibly due to being borderline drunk with tiredness I had a moment of clarity and decided to give up smoking there and then. That was 5 years ago so cheers Mr. Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Manach wrote: »
    Lensman series - Doc. Smith.

I loved these. And it reminded me I needed to add:

A. E. Van Gogt: The Weapon Shops of Isher
    Old Man's War - Scalzi

Pretty good, but not sure I'd put him up there with the other names on this page. Maybe I'm being unfair :)
    Forever War - Joe Handleman
    Yep, and Forever Peace is very good too.
    Goldstein wrote: »
    Interesting you bring up A Fall of Moondust. I couldn't say conclusively but it might well be my favourite Clarke book of all, and it's not exactly your typical science fiction tale by any stretch. In fact you could remove all the sci-fi elements and the story would still work - always a sign of greatness.
    I loved it, but I think that's one of the reasons I wasn't sure about listing it here. That said, one of the best thing about Asimov's Robots books was the detective thriller aspect.
    Goldstein wrote: »
    It's one of the only "it's 5am but I can't stop reading until I finish this" obsessively compelling and outright edge of your seat (bed) gripping books I've ever read. I remember when I eventually finished it and possibly due to being borderline drunk with tiredness I had a moment of clarity and decided to give up smoking there and then. That was 5 years ago so cheers Mr. Clarke.

Awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

A Fire Upon the Deep - Vernor Vinge
    Foundation (first three, not the rest) - Isaac Asimov
    Ringworld - Larry Niven
    A Scanner Darkly - Philip K. Dick
    Gateway - Frederick Pohl
    The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    Stand on Zanzibar - John Brunner
    Mission of Gravity - Hal Clement
    Wild Seed - Octavia Butler
    Fiasco - Stanislaw Lem
    Excession - Iain Banks
    Uplift (trilogy) - David Brin

I could easily name 100 science fiction novels that I consider to be great.

A major feature of the genre is the strength of the short form though. I recently got a tablet and realised I can get old anthologies like Gardner Dozois' Best New SF all the way back to 1984. I've been reading volume one and Hardfought by Greg Bear really blew me away.

HivemindXX wrote: »
    A major feature of the genre is the strength of the short form though. I recently got a tablet and realised I can get old anthologies like Gardner Dozois' Best New SF all the way back to 1984. I've been reading volume one and Hardfought by Greg Bear really blew me away.

I love the short stories collections. Anthonology is one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Apologies if this has been asked before;

What would be a good SciFi book to read to introduce myself to the genre? I've never been into any SciFi, don't like movies that revolve aorund the concept really but I kinda want to give a SciFi book ago to just make a change from Fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

That's quite a hard question to answer to be honest. What is Science Fiction can be hard to pin down and one person might love X and hate Y while another person is the reverse, where everyone will agree that X and Y are both Science Fiction.

Perhaps if you said what sort of Fantasy you like and what sort of Science Fiction from TV and/or movies you like or dislike it might be easier to home in.

Failing any sort of input I'm going to recommend A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge which I was just thinking about in relation to this thread. It is a doorstop of a book (which Fantasy fans tend to like), it's action packed, has a great scientific concept without requiring you to know a lot of science to appreciate it and has some really creative protagonists and plot points. It is also, basically, a struggle between plucky under dogs (pun not intended - and won't make any sense until you read the book) and a terrible evil.

Based on your avatar I want to recommend something a Futurama fan might like but all I can't come up with anything that strikes me as a perfect match. Perhaps The Futurological Congress by Stanislaw Lem or Bill the Galactic Hero by Harry Harrison. There are definitely plenty of humourous SF books out there, if I come up with something better I'll get back to you.

I'd recommend starting with something like Iain M. Banks - Consider Phlebas or The Player of Games.

• Advertisement

The kind of fantasy I read are authors like RR Martin, Erikson, Lynch, Rothfuss, Abercrombie etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Asimov Foundation and Dune (epic scale like Martin or Abercrombie, Foundation split in multiple shorter stories and Dune being huge scale and time over multiple books with huge depth to be discovered) or if you want more action packed you have Richard Morgan (basically close to our future based stories starting with Altered Carbon or singles such as Market Forces, Wall street don't compete in the market anymore but go out and kill each other using super hyped cars, all legal).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

zapp, you can't go wrong with Richard Morgan, Neil Asher or Ian M Banks. three brilliant authors, all have completed series as well so no waiting around.

I might give Asimov's Foundation ago. I seem to have heard of it before. Will be awhile before I get to it though, currently rereading The Wheel of Time to finally finish it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I might give Asimov's Foundation ago. I seem to have heard of it before. Will be awhile before I get to it though, currently rereading The Wheel of Time to finally finish it!
    I'd certainly have this on this list of "Must reads" as it is pretty central to the SF canon, but I probably would read something more contemporary first.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Read Prelude to Foundation a few weeks ago, first of them I've read. Thought it was great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The kind of fantasy I read are authors like RR Martin, Erikson, Lynch, Rothfuss, Abercrombie etc.
    I would say Dune is a good start.

Deserved of it's status, and very much a crossover between Fantasy and SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Martonio

Richard Matheson-"I am Legend" is a fantastic book.
    "Tiger Tiger" also by Alfred Bester is literally a work of art and so far ahead of its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisM

The Stars my Destination by Alfred Bester
    The Dancers at the End of Time Trology: An Alien Heat, The Hollow Lands, and The End of All Songs by Michael Moorcock
    Childhoods End by Arthur C. Clarke
    The City and the Stars by Arthur C. Clarke
    Ringworld by Larry Niven
    Timescape by Gregory Benford
    Man Plus by Frederick Pohl
    Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
    The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
    Neuormancer by William Gibson
    Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks

These are some of my favourite Sci-fi books. Most were very easy to read, and extremely enjoyable. Timescape is a bit hard sci-fi but well worth the effort.

I have taken note of a few books that haven't hit my radar before, so they are on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Spares by Michael Marshall Smith is one of my favourite books. Would have made a great movie too, until Dreamworks f*cked him over and took one tiny part of it and turned it into The Island :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The Doom qaudrilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

Peter Hamiltons Nights Dawn trilogy is a good starter , similar in style to some of the fantasy you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

[DF]Lenny wrote: »
    Peter Hamiltons Nights Dawn trilogy is a good starter , similar in style to some of the fantasy you mentioned

Excellent recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Iain Banks I've found hit and miss. Some of them, I've really enjoyed. Feersum Endjinn is one of a very small group of books that I couldn't finish.

I've enjoyed L E Modesitt's SF books. I was first introduced to him with the Recluce series, and then found he also writes some pretty good SF.

Weirdly I've read a lot of his non sci fi novels, but none of his sci fi. Hmmmm.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Enjoyed a lot of the stuff already listed, notably Haldeman's Forever War, and Cards Speaker for the dead. Other favourites from my younger days include Cliff Simaks, The Way Station, Harrison's Deathworld trilogy, and Heinleins Have Spacesuit, Will Travel. I also love sci-fi short stories as much as the drawn out epics, including the likes of Flight of the horse, Larry Niven, Days of Perky Pat, PK Dick, and Nightmares and Geezenstacks, Fred Brown. Not to everybody's taste, but also a big William Burroughs fan, and would include The soft machine high in my list of sci-fi faves.

Only started reading sci-fi again recently, with the Enders Shadow series, which I'm finding very hit & miss, and no where near the quality of the first series. Any recommendations for decent reads from the more modern authors?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

smacl wrote: »
    Only started reading sci-fi again recently, with the Enders Shadow series, which I'm finding very hit & miss, and no where near the quality of the first series. Any recommendations for decent reads from the more modern authors?
    Altered Carbon series by Richard Morgan (he also has some stand alone books) could be an interesting start,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

This may sound like blatant product pimping (and it is :) ), but anything I have read published on the Gollancz SF masterworks brand has been at a minimum pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ChrisM

This may sound like blatant product pimping (and it is :) ), but anything I have read published on the Gollancz SF masterworks brand has been at a minimum pretty good.

I couldn't agree more. I owe my return to reading science fiction to this fantastic list :-) I have read about 20-25 books from the list and every single one has been fantastic.

• Advertisement

+1 for Gollancz

Advertisement